87,89, or 91 octane?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by taco John, Jun 15, 2016.

1. taco John

taco John Well-Known Member

I personally ran a test with each fuel type. I notice when I ran 91 octane on my 08 4.0l taco that I got better gas mileage, more power, and less engine noise. But 87 causes my engine to get noisy, have a bit less power, and has worse gas mileage. This is my observation. What do you guys run?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. btp001

btp001 Well-Known Member

I've been running premium for about a year now.. I immediately started getting at least 30 more miles per tank so I stuck with it..maybe it's worth it maybe not but it makes me feel better ha

Rocket tech likes this.
  4. OP
    taco John

I swear when I put 91 in my Tacoma I see a difference. I have more power and better fuel economy. It just makes the engine run so smooth haha.

5. btp001

btp001 Well-Known Member

Yea I was just gonna test it out on that one tank and see if it made a difference.. Needless to say I haven't ran less than 91 since..

6. Demo Man

Demo Man Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. All I run is 92/93. Don't run 89. Got a buddy of mine that runs a tanker and says that when a gas station orders gas i.e. 87 and there's left over it goes in the mid grade (89) tank. Little info for you.

Rocket tech and Rambo like this.
  7. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

Urd has run a taco on a dyno with 87, 89, 91 and it showed nada.

I do have to run 91 however, but thats for another reason

8. OP
    taco John

I swear I feel a difference in my performance when I use 91, and I think it's just better for the motor as well. But what's your reason to run it? Just curious?

9. slowpoke

Required food for 8.5lbs of boosty

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  10. OP
    taco John

Figures, it's worth the extra money to me even if my motor is stock.

11. heyphillip

heyphillip New Member

I have the 16 with the Atkinson engine anybody done this test I've been using 87 since I brought the truck in April

12. OP
    taco John

Just try out 91 yourself and look for the difference. Calculate your fuel economy (which is easy in the 2016's) and pay attention for little things like extra power.

Rocket tech likes this.
  13. TacoRick

TacoRick Well-Known Member

My city trips resulted in maybe a two mpg increase with 91 octane, and for some reason the transmission seemed to stop jumping into a high gear when accelerating.

taco John likes this.
  14. OP
    taco John

Sound like 91 is worth the extra bucks. I feel like in the long run it'd make the engine happy

Rambo likes this.
  15. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Shell or Sunoco 93 Octane ONLY ! Always in all my Trucks and cars since 1978

tnhawk likes this.
  16. slowpoke

Dowant!

Rambo likes this.
  17. OP
    taco John

Where the hell do you get 93? Gas stations in California only offer 91? I've never seen anything more.

Rambo likes this.
  18. slowpoke

Not sure where u are man, ive never seen 93 either. Closest i see is 91, or 110 at the track.
    Just found this
    https://find93.com

Rambo likes this.
  19. OP
    taco John

I'm in San Diego, do you see a significant difference when you run 93?

Rambo likes this.
  20. slowpoke

Havent been able to, never saunt a 93 pump. Just 91 and 110.

Rambo likes this.
  21. texastacoma

texastacoma Well-Known Member

There's 93 in Houston, but only 90 in small town Texas where I go to school...

Rambo likes this.