Amateur Radio Installs

What is the best handheld that can reach out miles if you are in the deep forest and then need help? I don't want to be in a situation where I say "damn I should have bought that " " radio.

With the limited power and small antenna of a portable they don't have huge range. But that being said if you walk up to a high point so you can get a longer line of sight, they can easily reach out 20 or 30 or more miles.
It is really about line of sight more than anything. Down in a hole, no radio has much range. The reason I can talk to people 75 miles away from the helicopters radio, isn't because of anything special in the radio, and it actually has a terrible antenna on it because I can't realistically stick on a long one. It is only because at altitude the antenna has a clear line of sight for a long way.

NOT at all.
Asking questions was the right thing to do, and how we all learn.
I knew, but I have a radio license, and have had a radio in my pickups for the past 20 years, but it isn't common to. I have a Tad M10, used to have an M8 long ago, and often carry an aviation band Icom portable to listen to the helicopters, planes, and tower to. In my flight bag on every flight is also a portable radio and gps. When snowmobiling in the mountains I carry a Garmin Inreach for emergencies, and to talk to the people I ride with I have a Baofeng radio.
" Asking questions was the right thing to do, and how we all learn..." So true BC! Excellent point and interesting read.

I think it's great Tape that you asked your question and dirtytaco's explanation was very good. I am in awe of the knowledge and expertise you guys have in radio communications. While I have absolutely no experience in this area and don't understand it all, i am enjoying reading all the exchanges and personal experiences. Impressive stuff!

What is the best handheld that can reach out miles if you are in the deep forest and then need help? I don't want to be in a situation where I say "damn I should have bought that " " radio.

I can’t recommend the “best” ht, but I stick with the name brands. Icom, yaesu, kenwood and so on. Main thing is, output power and antenna used. You can talk across the county with a handheld at the right time of day (or night) using satellites. That’s a whole different ballgame though as you have to know the input and output frequencies of the satellite and know when the passes are and adjust your RX for Doppler shift. Some people say get a radio and just listen before you decide to take the exam to get your license just so you know kind of how people communicate and to familiarize yourself with the radio. If you’re interested in it though, I would just google search a local amateur radio club close to your location and likely there is some type of contact info with someone affiliated with the club and that’s the best way to learn the ins and outs of it and they will guide you in the right direction with it all.

" Asking questions was the right thing to do, and how we all learn..." So true BC! Excellent point and interesting read.

I think it's great Tape that you asked your question and dirtytaco's explanation was very good. I am in awe of the knowledge and expertise you guys have in radio communications. While I have absolutely no experience in this area and don't understand it all, i am enjoying reading all the exchanges and personal experiences. Impressive stuff!

Backroader I just grew up all my life around it. Chances are if it wasn’t for my dad I wouldn’t even know about it either. As far as understanding it, sometimes I don’t either lol. But I bet you use a radio every day and you don’t even realize it. Think of your cellphone as a radio. That cellphone transmits to a cell tower then that cell tower re-transmits your signal to another cellphone. That’s how ham radio works a lot of times too on vhf/uhf. You transmit your radio to a repeater and it does just that, it repeats your signal to another radio. You can also do what’s called simplex as well where both your radio and the person your talking to is using the same transmit and receive frequency and there’s nothing in between to re-transmit your transmissions. It would be neat if this thread inspired a few to research and get licensed as well. I like to see the hobby stay alive!

Backroader I just grew up all my life around it. Chances are if it wasn’t for my dad I wouldn’t even know about it either. As far as understanding it, sometimes I don’t either lol. But I bet you use a radio every day and you don’t even realize it. Think of your cellphone as a radio. That cellphone transmits to a cell tower then that cell tower re-transmits your signal to another cellphone. That’s how ham radio works a lot of times too on vhf/uhf. You transmit your radio to a repeater and it does just that, it repeats your signal to another radio. You can also do what’s called simplex as well where both your radio and the person your talking to is using the same transmit and receive frequency and there’s nothing in between to re-transmit your transmissions. It would be neat if this thread inspired a few to research and get licensed as well. I like to see the hobby stay alive!
Thank you dirtytaco for the excellent explanation. When you put it into the context of cellular phones, it helps explain the technology and make it less intimidating.

I laughed reading "...As far as understanding it, sometimes I don’t either lol..." I can see it that it is an on-going learning experience and with your in-depth knowledge you go deeper into the expertise. I also see how passionate you are with radio communications .

I think that it is so neat that you learned from your Dad and that has become a life long hobby. You have certainly kept it alive and your posts will no doubt inspire others to pursue it. Thanks for the great info! :)

With the limited power and small antenna of a portable they don't have huge range. But that being said if you walk up to a high point so you can get a longer line of sight, they can easily reach out 20 or 30 or more miles.
It is really about line of sight more than anything. Down in a hole, no radio has much range. The reason I can talk to people 75 miles away from the helicopters radio, isn't because of anything special in the radio, and it actually has a terrible antenna on it because I can't realistically stick on a long one. It is only because at altitude the antenna has a clear line of sight for a long way.
That is interesting that the line of site and altitude when flying is so critical as I assumed as you mentioned that most think in terms of the antenna foe communicating. Interesting!

Mike, it is D-Star and I used the same 3M double sided adhesive foam like tape that I used for the yaesu unit I had. That stuff is super sticky and very thin but with a little force you can get it unstuck and it not leave behind any goo. No more than those little faceplates weigh it really works well. The only reason I didn’t like the yaesu on the dash was because the mic plugged into it vs the Icom which plugs into the radio itself that’s under the seat. I still need to get the 8ft mic extension but it works for now

I like the DStar radio's, but I miss the dual band display. I am back and forth between 2m and 440. I am a member of the Papa repeater system in Socal. The reason for the two DStar radio's, the radio head fit on the center console, in the Miata's. I have never made a contact on DStar, and the mic cord come from the radio base. I think having a DStar radio in a good idea in case of emergencies. In the last Earthquake I was glad to be a licensed ham. Phones were down or impacted, ham bands were active. Not sure have the various linking protocols will stay up in an earthquake. I had to use a mic extension cord in the 99 Miata.

I like the DStar radio's, but I miss the dual band display. I am back and forth between 2m and 440. I am a member of the Papa repeater system in Socal. The reason for the two DStar radio's, the radio head fit on the center console, in the Miata's. I have never made a contact on DStar, and the mic cord come from the radio base. I think having a DStar radio in a good idea in case of emergencies. In the last Earthquake I was glad to be a licensed ham. Phones were down or impacted, ham bands were active. Not sure have the various linking protocols will stay up in an earthquake. I had to use a mic extension cord in the 99 Miata.

I ordered the 8ft mic extension and should arrive this evening. And yeah,Dstar is cool but it’ll only work if the internet is still active at the repeater you’re using it on. Some argue Dstar isn’t “real radio”. It kind of is and it kind of isn’t. Nonetheless, still another neat mode of communication

The 2020 has a number of storage locations. Checked mounted under the drivers seat or passenger seat, would be a tight fit. The radio will fit nicely in the storage compartment behind the rear passenger seat. I did have to drill a hole tin the side of the storage compartment for wires. Ran all wires from the storage compartment to the front passenger side, under the door jam panels, and through the right kick panel, I will post pictures one unit is mounted in storage compartment. Factory power cord does not have enough wire, need to add wire.

The radio install in ongoing. This weekends weather was not helpful. All cables are installed, except the antenna cable and attaching power to the battery. Need to route the external speaker and cable between radio and head from the front passenger floor board to phone charge location. Need to install the roof rack, and attache the antenna. So getting close

Working on Rack install, purchased a Cali Raised Off Road roof rack. This rack is designed for adding a lighting kit. I was ready to install the roof rack, but in looking at the install instructions, noticed that would need to disassemble the rack to install the lighting kit. So I purchased the lighting kit. In discussing installing the wiring for the lighting kit, it was suggested to connect the gnd wires to the roof rack. Sine the roof rack will be exposed to weather to weather I need the connectors and logs to be weather resistance. I am now waiting on spade lugs that are installed on wires using heat. The heat melts the solder and heat shrinks the insulation, to make it weather resistance. I will sill use silicone and more heat shrink. As I move further into the project, I find more holes that need to be sealed

The radio install in ongoing. This weekends weather was not helpful. All cables are installed, except the antenna cable and attaching power to the battery. Need to route the external speaker and cable between radio and head from the front passenger floor board to phone charge location. Need to install the roof rack, and attache the antenna. So getting close

How’s the install coming along? Complete by now? I’ve been pretty active (again finally) on HF. Not mobile, just in the shack. Got around to getting a new 6M-75M dipole up and resparked my interest

Back