Any thoughts on k&n air filters?

I have the K&N air intake and TRD cat back exhaust, really makes a great sound, great throttle response and when I step on her she really picks up and moves. I love it, big difference in my opinion.

I already own a k&n filter. My intake is stock, but I just changed the filter itself. I don't believe in cold air intakes.

I run the OEM paper filter in my Taco. And a K&N in my Solstice. I clean it once a year along with the MAF sensor. No build up on the sensor and not a huge pain to clean. The K&N does have a lot more intake noise, especially when I "pull my foot out of it" and the wastegate opens (turbo).

I haven't bothered with a K&N in this vehicle yet ('15 4cyl 4x4 access cab), but have used them in my past 5 vehicles.

My personal advice is always buy two filters and change them regularly based on your usage. I swap in one and clean and oil the one I take out then put it on my shelf for the next change. Never have to wait for the oil to settle in and dry that way, since there is always one ready to go. Sure, it's more expensive, but it's a convenient setup for the long haul.

Honestly though, paper filters are effective and cheap. It is probable just as smart to keep a couple in the garage and change them out regularly. They perform just as well as the K&N's if not better.
That's my 2 cents.

I have used K&N Air and Oil Filters for many years and love them and get high miles on my trucks and cars ! Great quality filters!

I installed a K&N drop-in filter in my 2002 Tundra 4.7 l V-8. Only a very small increase in mpgs and performance. I'm currently running stock OEM air filters in my 2009 Tacoma 2.7 l 4cyl. Anyone try those K&N washable cabin air filters??? They look interesting?!?

I already own a k&n filter. My intake is stock, but I just changed the filter itself. I don't believe in cold air intakes.
This guys stock intake will pull the same temps as ANY intake out there for our tacomas at approx 40mph. Stock pulls ambient temps, and u cannot beat that.

Although, the filter is only good for saving the owner from buying more air filters later.
It will not improve hp or tq. An xrunner was tested stock, then with the carbon filter removed, and then with the carbon filter AND air filter removed entirely.

Zero gains on a dyno.

But ya dont have to buy any more filters.

There are other air filters out there like K&N even direct replace filters with no oil needed unless you want a reusable

Based on my experience of driving from CA to NC with a K&N CAI, my mpg and performance did increase ( about 3 mpg) pumping premium gas ( 91 from CA to TN & 93 from TN to NC)

I also ran the K&N air filter a few months ago and got about the same performance.

I guess the only difference is that nice deep sound.

I also agree that over-oiling the filter can be counterproductive ( will not perform the way it should)

Based on my experience of driving from CA to NC with a K&N CAI, my mpg and performance did increase ( about 3 mpg) pumping premium gas ( 91 from CA to TN & 93 from TN to NC)

I also ran the K&N air filter a few months ago and got about the same performance.

I guess the only difference is that nice deep sound.

I also agree that over-oiling the filter can be counterproductive ( will not perform the way it should)

Zoom zoom.

Back