Atkinson cycle 3.5

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by 1234halo1234, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

Is that over the hills and through the woods? Anywhere near grama's house per say ?

kp.taco, B-Man and texasred like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

You got it.. Right next door to grama's lol

B-Man, Cape taco and texasred like this.
  4. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

So where is grama keeping her lol now?

kp.taco and B-Man like this.
  5. Cape taco

In a pit in the cellar ?

kp.taco, OR17TRD, B-Man and 1 other person like this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

:eek:

Cape taco, texasred and B-Man like this.
  7. RYANDOYLE33

RYANDOYLE33 Member

I noticed my 2019 TRD off-road does that bump thing sometimes when I'm stopping at street lights is that normal or should I say something

OR17TRD, B-Man and texasred like this.
  8. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

As OR17 posted........"Axshole wrap happens more with lots of stop and go traffic. Complete stops pause and then a bump."..........Normal for our Tacos.

OR17TRD and texasred like this.
  9. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

I’m almost used to it now. It’s strange mine doesn’t do it every time I stop though. Not sure why

OR17TRD, texasred and B-Man like this.
  10. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Same here, G......I don't notice it alot but do occasionally and it's in stop-n-go traffic.

OR17TRD, Lil G and texasred like this.
  11. Cape taco

I don't like the idle surge when you a moving around in parking lots like backing up out of a parking spot .

12. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

It is odd. Is that the motor or something else. The 3rd gens have some odd little things they do. But I’ve got used to the way they are. I guess not as noticeable as they used to be

13. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Little quirks here and there.....I love my Taco despite!

Cape taco, Lil G and texasred like this.
  14. OR17TRD

It won’t. It happens more with abrupt stops. If you ease into the stop it won’t usually do it.

B-Man and texasred like this.
  15. OR17TRD

It’s normal but you could say something. The more people that complain about it the more likely toyota will put out a TSB to fix it.

Bogunn, texasred, Cape taco and 2 others like this.
  16. Cameron Muse

Cameron Muse New Member

I like mine. Just push the power button and it’s a totally different animal.

texasred likes this.
  17. ToyTaco04

ToyTaco04 Member

The 2GR-FSE is tuned for 87 to 91 octane. At 87 octane its 304 HP and 278 lb/ft at 91 octane it makes 314 HP and 280 lb/ft.

The 2nd gen 1GR-FE on 87 octane is 236 HP and 266 lb/ft on 91 octane it goes to 240 HP and 278 lb/ft.

I'm pretty sure every Toyota VVT-i engine does this. I think it takes the engine a little bit to adjust so the first tank might lower mpg.

texasred and B-Man like this.
  18. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Interesting, where did you find this out?

19. ToyTaco04

ToyTaco04 Member

It shows it on the engine page on Wikipedia and I've read about it on different forums. Also Toyota test engines at 87 octane but Lexus they test at 91 octane same engine different power numbers.

I suspect manufacturers could make higher power and more efficient engines with higher octane and higher compression ratios. People buying Toyotas might be peeved if they said they had to run 91 vs the average Lexus customer. So makes sense to rate the engines by what the customer will most likely run it on.

texasred likes this.
  20. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Interesting, wiki has always made me wonder....
    Cant i go on there and change the text to read 400hp on 87 octane?

21. ToyTaco04

ToyTaco04 Member

Yes but things usually get corrected fairly quickly. Also, it has said those figures for many years.

It may not be the best idea to assume something on wiki is correct on first glance but if you look back and it always stays the same its probably right. Also if you find the information on other sites and discussions. There is a surprising amount of people correcting wiki.
    You can also check the source pages where the info came from (not always) and the history of edits.

You can do some research its talked about for multiple engine models and if you look at Lexus papers for hp it will usually say tested with 91 and then check Toyota it will be a slightly lower power number tested at 87.

Manufacturers are actually pushing for single grade 95 and get rid of everything else.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019