Black paint

cbarth5150

I have a 2023 Tacoma with black paint. Only had it for about two months and always wash it by hand. Question is, how soft is the actual paint. If I take it through car was in the winter months how bad will it scratch paint. Yes it’s a crazy question but I’ve heard Toyota has a soft finish to the vehicles. Thank you and yes I know it’s a truck but they look better clean.

You will find Black is a real bugger to keep looking nice.

Any car wash with brushes can mirco-scratch the finish. The severity depends on many factors: type of brushes, brush pressure on car, clean water volume, amount of dirt on proceeding car, soap......

In truth, you are better off doing a hand wash or using a Pay & Spray.

FWIW, I live in a salted winter region. I only take my truck to a Pay & Spray in the winter. My goal is to rinse the truck well. I pay attention to the wheel wells and the underbody with good rinse on the sides. I only do this when the roads are dry and the temp is above 20F.

First of all I never do car wash's. I had ceramic paint protection professionally applied that guaranteed for lifetime. Dealer that had it done told me to never wash my truck, just hose it off when needed. After more than 3 years, there's no scratch's, or paint chips anywhere.

I have a black on the way so definitely wondering about this too for when I take delivery

this is what the "vehicle protection package" states

1686756638798.png

I have a black on the way so definitely wondering about this too for when I take delivery

this is what the "vehicle protection package" states

View attachment 38326
Supposedly thats what was done to mine also. Idk, about the fabric guard, but I do have a lifetime warranty for this on my interior also. As far as all this stuff goes, I guess you have to trust whoever is actually doing the work. The dealer in Boston I bought my truck from claimed the truck was sent out to a professional detail shop that has the franchise for all this.

Reactions: JCC
will dig more into this with the dealer and report back

would like to know what people use to wash theirs and works well for them to avoid scratches/swirls/etc.

I use Adams and chemical guys foam cannon. Blow dry with my leaf blower then use chemical guys wooly mammoth towel to dry. My truck is black, hard to keep clean but when it is the black looks so good. I can see a few fine scratches/swirl marks but nothing major yet. Mine also has the protectant from the dealer, it’s not ceramic but they say it’s basically the same.

will dig more into this with the dealer and report back

would like to know what people use to wash theirs and works well for them to avoid scratches/swirls/etc.
I think if you use one of these vehicle wash mitts that are designed for that purpose, you can minimize scratch's if you don't have anything like a ceramic coating done. I've washed our prius with regular car wash soap using one of these mitts, and then apply this aerolon tech shine which seems to last about a year. The finish on our 2012 prius still looks pretty good after all these years.

What the hell is ceramic coat wax ? I've been painting and buffing cars all 61 years and never heard or used it. Is this some kind of dealership wax scam? Cuz it's not cheap ! ;)

I use Adams and chemical guys foam cannon. Blow dry with my leaf blower then use chemical guys wooly mammoth towel to dry. My truck is black, hard to keep clean but when it is the black looks so good. I can see a few fine scratches/swirl marks but nothing major yet. Mine also has the protectant from the dealer, it’s not ceramic but they say it’s basically the same.
I like McGuire's products the Number 7 is and amazing product but it's polish not wax . They have a really good swirl remover wax I like too.

I wonder from a bodymans side what its entails to remove the ceramic wax to repaint ?
Supposedly it's warrantied for the lifetime you own the truck. if it needs any sort of paint work that this coating didn't protect, they will cover it.....unless for some reason, you desire the truck be painted a different color altogether.

I don't have it on my truck I don't think it was around in 2016 but my driver's mirror clear coat is peeling so they may end up black cuz I have base coat ,clear coat in my garage. I paint cars for a hobby. So it's an easy Saturday afternoon project I'll enjoy .:)

I don't have it on my truck I don't think it was around in 2016 but my driver's mirror clear coat is peeling so they may end up black cuz I have base coat ,clear coat in my garage. I paint cars for a hobby. So it's an easy Saturday afternoon project I'll enjoy .:)
It wasn't around when I had my 2001 tundra either, and I wish it was. That tuck was peppered front and sides with paint chips. Even the roofs clear coat was peeling away.
So far my tacoma hasn't one chip, or nick that I haven't been able to rub out.

Never had issue with paint on my '03 tundra silver. It still looks great I see it all the time guy who bought is UPS driver works with my nephew got 180k on it now

Back