Chevy Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Truck competition to make it better? just a bs threa

One more thing about the Eco boost, in real life situations it gets about 17 mpg, and that is about half city half highway

The Ranger has been gone for a while now but it wasn't competition. The F150 is a full size so no rival there either.

Actually the Ranger was a hell of a truck. My first ride was a Ranger. I drove it like I stole it for eight years and sold it with 240,000 miles on it. In 2011 I bought one of the last ones made just because I learned they were being discontinued. I recently totaled it and bought a taco because there were no new Rangers. The Rangers were light years ahead in the interior, much more comfortable, much better manual transmission. IDK, but it just felt more substantial or solid and the 2.3 Duratec is a very proven engine as well.

Don't get me wrong I really like the exterior styling of the taco and I'm liking it more everyday, but when I first bought it I discovered several inferior features.

Did the rangers have leather As an option in their truck? Cause I know tacos don't but my taco does :) and yeah no doubt rangers were a good truck but I do have to agree with whipper that they weren't much competition, especially if you wheel your truck alot tacos are much better.

Actually the Ranger was a hell of a truck. My first ride was a Ranger. I drove it like I stole it for eight years and sold it with 240,000 miles on it. In 2011 I bought one of the last ones made just because I learned they were being discontinued. I recently totaled it and bought a taco because there were no new Rangers. The Rangers were light years ahead in the interior, much more comfortable, much better manual transmission. IDK, but it just felt more substantial or solid and the 2.3 Duratec is a very proven engine as well.

Don't get me wrong I really like the exterior styling of the taco and I'm liking it more everyday, but when I first bought it I discovered several inferior features.

My 03 gave me 140K miles. It ate 4 clutches, a rear side axle seal, 3 front pinion seals, 4wd ECU, 4wd selector and a front crank seal. It was still a damn good truck despite all the troubles but everything was dated. The interior didn't change much from 96. The drivetrain was pretty much the same since 98 with changes to the 4 banger and 4.0 V6. It was in no way competition for Tacomas.

Did the rangers have leather As an option in their truck? Cause I know tacos don't but my taco does :) and yeah no doubt rangers were a good truck but I do have to agree with whipper that they weren't much competition, especially if you wheel your truck alot tacos are much better.

No leather option.

Can't say much about the ranger since I've never owned one. Only trucks I have owned were International & Toyota. However, a coworker of mine recently bought a used 2wd ranger and wished he had the funds to buy a Tacoma 4x4 as he got stuck this past spring in the deep snow while he saw I had no problem getting around.

They do look pretty good outside but inside is typical GM. I wonder how good that diesel will be and how much you have to drop to get it.

Last edited:
Yeah that duramax is going to be interesting, I'm assuming it is turbo?

-sorry I now see where it says it is a turbo in the specs

Last edited:
Its a good looking truck. one can hope it performs better than the old colorado/canyon did. Guy at my work bought a nice new v8 canyon and then rode in mine and immediatly wondered why he didnt at least look at a taco.

I traded my 04 Z71 (i5 235 HP) Colorado with 175,000 trouble free miles in for my 13 TACO DCLB. Couldn't wait for the Colorado. GM stopped making the Avalanche and the Colorado looks like a smaller Avalanche. I love the exterior and interior designs of my TACO but my wife says the rear doors are tinny.

Back