Dealer is no HELP...Need help from the forum! !!

LEDAVE

Last year when the new Tacoma was released I ordered one with all of the possible options. The three months could not have gone by quick enough as I waited for delivery.

To date, I have had the truck back to the local dealer for numerous complaints. The initial complaint was the shifting as it was erratic and lunged forward from park to drive. This was due to low transmission fluid. Poor shifting continued and all of the "TSB's" were completed, to include a new software install. Unfortunately, the truck still fails to perform as it should. A turn of the wheel will cause the truck to lunge forward, making parking difficult and pulling into the garage dangerous. A field tech or advisor was sent to the dealership at which time he stated the newest shifting software was installed which has not fixed all the problems I'm experiencing. I have gone to other dealerships and driven identical trucks and have not experienced the same issues and the 2017 seems to have all the "bugs" worked out.

I have had all of the door seals replaced, the window seals in the rear windows replaced, the plugs in the lower control arms installed, and am fearful of what is next to fail.
The truck is currently at the dealer for its 10,000 mile service, the rear axle recall, and the continued complaint of poor acceleration and shifting.

This month I purchased my wife a 2017 RAV4 limited hybrid from the same dealer with my fingers crossed that it was only my vehicle that was going to be the constant headache.

The purpose of the post is not to speak poorly of the Toyota line, but in the hopes this would reach someone who could help more than stating "we looked it over and found nothing wrong".

I love the truck, however the frustration of all the things that have and continue to go wrong, cause me to leave it in the garage and not drive it.........not sure if this is fair!!!

Besides the post I put on Toyota USA FB page, who can I contact that will listen??

Thanks Dave

Last year when the new Tacoma was released I ordered one with all of the possible options. The three months could not have gone by quick enough as I waited for delivery.

To date, I have had the truck back to the local dealer for numerous complaints. The initial complaint was the shifting as it was erratic and lunged forward from park to drive. This was due to low transmission fluid. Poor shifting continued and all of the "TSB's" were completed, to include a new software install. Unfortunately, the truck still fails to perform as it should. A turn of the wheel will cause the truck to lunge forward, making parking difficult and pulling into the garage dangerous. A field tech or advisor was sent to the dealership at which time he stated the newest shifting software was installed which has not fixed all the problems I'm experiencing. I have gone to other dealerships and driven identical trucks and have not experienced the same issues and the 2017 seems to have all the "bugs" worked out.

I have had all of the door seals replaced, the window seals in the rear windows replaced, the plugs in the lower control arms installed, and am fearful of what is next to fail.
The truck is currently at the dealer for its 10,000 mile service, the rear axle recall, and the continued complaint of poor acceleration and shifting.

This month I purchased my wife a 2017 RAV4 limited hybrid from the same dealer with my fingers crossed that it was only my vehicle that was going to be the constant headache.

The purpose of the post is not to speak poorly of the Toyota line, but in the hopes this would reach someone who could help more than stating "we looked it over and found nothing wrong".

I love the truck, however the frustration of all the things that have and continue to go wrong, cause me to leave it in the garage and not drive it.........not sure if this is fair!!!

Besides the post I put on Toyota USA FB page, who can I contact that will listen??

Thanks Dave
An Attorney

I'm experiencing the same lunging issue with my 2016 TRD sport 4x4. It's been left at the dealership twice and ive also spoken to a case manager about my issue. Nothing has been resolved. Every morning when I back out of my drive way the idle surges half an RPM unexpectedly. It's super annoying and I feel like a safety hazard. I'm in the same boat u are. Next week I have an appointment for the axle recall and I will once again voice my compliment about this lunge issue.

Thanks for your reply.....when I picked mine up from the service and recal I was told that the field tech was contacted and he stated that "I was driving it to gentle and had to be more aggressive and to stop babying it". I have never heard such crap!! Let me know what they say if you dont mind...Thanks again.

Last edited:
Same issues here too, plus a cruise control issue. I feel your pain. Ive given up on any transmission fix. Had both ecu updates too. There are no easy answers as to what to do about it. Im selling mine soon. Life is too short.

Thanks for your reply.....when I picked mine up from the service and recal I was told that the field tech was contacted and he stated that "I was driving it to gentle and had to be more aggressive and to stop babying it". I have never heard such crap!! Let me know what they say if you dont mind...Thanks again.

Hehe. I heard this one also. I am even having to go to another dealer because our local dealer says that the test computer can tell if I need transmutation fluid. Said he would have to put on lift to visually check the level and that work was not needed. Cannot believe Toyota would not have a transmission dip stick. I wish I would have been on the forums before buying our 2017 Taco. Still trying to check my fluid myself but not figuring out how to do it because I have a tow package...

Last edited:
Same issues here too, plus a cruise control issue. I feel your pain. Ive given up on any transmission fix. Had both ecu updates too. There are no easy answers as to what to do about it. Im selling mine soon. Life is too short.
There is a guy on the Tacoma World website that says he has a fix.I don't know but it might be worth a look.good luck

I bought a new 2017 Toyota Tacoma Nov. 2016.
Transmission slips, mostly first thing in the AM. with engine cold (I live in SW Florida so it's not real cold). When I park uphill in my driveway (front first) overnight it slips first thing in the AM., when I park downhill in my driveway (back in) it didn't seem to slip. Doesn’t seem to do it after it has been running a while. It also downshifts with an audible CLUNK @ some stops early in the day.

I read online that there were similar issues with the 2016 models. Some were saying the transmission fluid was lowfrom the factory and some would say it was a factory code that needed to be downloaded that corrected it. Either way there is an issue.

Engine and transmission don’t seem to be in sync when taking off. Very sluggish especially if I’m turning hard at the same time. Hesitates, engine skips sometimes going down the road.

Brought to the dealer, they check the fluid which was spot on and they downloaded the latest download for the transmission. Stopped slipping BUT the engine and transmission don’t seem to be in sync when taking off still. Hesitates, engine/transmission skips or I should say bucks sporadically going down the road at different speeds. Mostly on light acceleration. I brought it back to the dealer again and after them talking to Toyota techs they told me it was the characteristics of the transmission (flaring) and they could do nothing about it @ this time. I test drove another same model and it did the same thing. I am contemplating on trading it for an American truck now or I might hold onto it for a while longer to see if they come up with a fix. I know they had a PILE of same issues with the 2016 models according to some forums I read. I had a 2006 Tacoma for 10 yrs with absolutely ZERO issues and loved it. I would say the total redesign was an error on their part. Why did they ever change something that wasn't broken?

I'm hoping they get a fix for this. I have had Toyota's for yrs and my family as well. I'll give it a little while and if not I'll consider leaving Toyota. Hate to but if I have to I will.

Thanks Dave

Any updates ? I have the same issues with my 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport

I bought a new 2017 Toyota Tacoma Nov. 2016.
Transmission slips, mostly first thing in the AM. with engine cold (I live in SW Florida so it's not real cold). When I park uphill in my driveway (front first) overnight it slips first thing in the AM., when I park downhill in my driveway (back in) it didn't seem to slip. Doesn’t seem to do it after it has been running a while. It also downshifts with an audible CLUNK @ some stops early in the day.

I read online that there were similar issues with the 2016 models. Some were saying the transmission fluid was lowfrom the factory and some would say it was a factory code that needed to be downloaded that corrected it. Either way there is an issue.

Engine and transmission don’t seem to be in sync when taking off. Very sluggish especially if I’m turning hard at the same time. Hesitates, engine skips sometimes going down the road.

Brought to the dealer, they check the fluid which was spot on and they downloaded the latest download for the transmission. Stopped slipping BUT the engine and transmission don’t seem to be in sync when taking off still. Hesitates, engine/transmission skips or I should say bucks sporadically going down the road at different speeds. Mostly on light acceleration. I brought it back to the dealer again and after them talking to Toyota techs they told me it was the characteristics of the transmission (flaring) and they could do nothing about it @ this time. I test drove another same model and it did the same thing. I am contemplating on trading it for an American truck now or I might hold onto it for a while longer to see if they come up with a fix. I know they had a PILE of same issues with the 2016 models according to some forums I read. I had a 2006 Tacoma for 10 yrs with absolutely ZERO issues and loved it. I would say the total redesign was an error on their part. Why did they ever change something that wasn't broken?

any updates on this ?

That does sound like crap...however, when I drive my "new" 2017 TRD off Road a little more aggressively, the pulsing or surge type action is not apparent. I checked with a service tech and he told me a lot of the new Tacoma's were experiencing the same problem but to date there is no service /repair bulletin out.

Thanks Dave

Sorry to hear "more" issues with newer tacomas, hopefully they'll make it right but def. dont hold your breath, Toyota is a little reluctant to change sometimes even when the issue is clearly on them, Example, they've had the same crappy soft-ass leaf springs since the 1st gen & it's continued thru each generation of trucks... As far as the trans goes, IMO, Toyota really screwed up with it's inception of a 6-speed automatic to match the somewhat narrow powerband/torque curve of a 6 cyl.. With 6 speeds in an auto you've just split the ratios closer (internally) This is the reason for the constant hunting around upshifting /downshifting looking for a comfortable gear to stay in, a larger motor with more torque these aren't issues...

Sorry to hear "more" issues with newer tacomas, hopefully they'll make it right but def. dont hold your breath, Toyota is a little reluctant to change sometimes even when the issue is clearly on them, Example, they've had the same crappy soft-ass leaf springs since the 1st gen & it's continued thru each generation of trucks... As far as the trans goes, IMO, Toyota really screwed up with it's inception of a 6-speed automatic to match the somewhat narrow powerband/torque curve of a 6 cyl.. With 6 speeds in an auto you've just split the ratios closer (internally) This is the reason for the constant hunting around upshifting /downshifting looking for a comfortable gear to stay in, a larger motor with more torque these aren't issues...
4wd, You are so right...

I read about the shifting issues and low transmission fluid before buying my 2016 DCSB OR and had them check and fill transmission fluid at the time of purchase. Watched them do it. It was 1.5 quarts low. Otherwise, I would have surely experienced these shifting and lunging issues. I do however experience several rattles and strange noises, including the audio/navigation head unit turning off and rebooting 2-3 times when starting the engine, before being able to access and use it. (LCD display screen turns off and on multiple times.)

My question is, what is the axle recall??? And what are the ECU updates???

I have fixed howling highway kazoo noise and some internal rattles. Happy to exchange info. Thank you

Back