Differential recall

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Chris Ciavola, Jun 11, 2017.

1. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Everyone uses RTV now, just not orange? It should be oil resistant black or grey. Orange is usually high heat , on your engine, gear oil is hard on most RTV, unless it states oil safe @ this point IDK anymore.

Crawdad and Bogunn like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Haha. I heard that. I had to think about it too. It’s been a while since I used RTV sealant.
    I used to be able to do about anything and everything to a vehicle I wanted. I can still do basic maintenance and more than most I guess. But the more the technology advances and the longer warranty coverages the less I do.
    I miss the old stuff, but maybe it’s sentiment too because I sure don’t miss changing water pumps, alternators, etc on the side of the road.
    Now I have roadside assistance.

Crawdad and OR17TRD like this.
  4. OR17TRD

I’m right there too.

Bogunn likes this.
  5. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Yeah, the sillycone was just to stick the string to. Haha, I use very minimal orange on engines. Pretty much just enough to stick the gasket. I don't like seeing goop squeezing out of every nook and cranny.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  6. Crawdad

Ain't that the truth! I drove a 69 F-100 short bed that I wasn't scared to take anywhere but it liked to keep me on my toes. Haha.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. OR17TRD

Started talking with someone about her 2018 off road she bought 4 months ago less 4000 miles on it. I was telling her about my leaking diff and crawled under her truck sure as **** this is what I saw. She was sad. :( 8121C816-34B7-401C-90F9-DEFB5A9B72EC.jpeg A23A5191-99DC-4C93-BCAB-B2F5B8532DBF.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  8. Crawdad

Summbish... I guess it's time to check mine again. How's your leaky rear-end situation? Are the Depends helping?

Bogunn, B-Man, OR17TRD and 1 other person like this.
  9. OR17TRD

So far the orange gasket maker they used has held the oil in. It’s only been about 1000 Miles.

Bogunn, Lil G and Crawdad like this.
  10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Haha. Taco depends. I like it.

B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  11. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That sucks. I just checked mine a couple days ago. No leaks.

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  12. OR17TRD

You got to get up in there with a mag. Deep in the crack it starts getting wet.

B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I try not to look too deep in cracks.....
    in all seriousness I will keep a close eye

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  14. OR17TRD

Look for this it might even be deeper. Once it starts it’s only a matter of time you’ll be in “Taco Depends TM.” 16A3FFB9-2672-4960-ABF2-AEA3023A3F68.jpeg

B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  15. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Active Member

IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg

2018 trd OR with 2k miles seems to suffer the same fate.

My appt at the dealership is tomorrow

OR17TRD likes this.
  16. OR17TRD

Sorry to see that. Crazy thing is the 2018’s are still doing it and the off-road hasn’t been added to the recall. SMH

17. OR17TRD

Let us know how it goes. Also call corporate and file a complaint with them. The more people who let them know it’s still an issue the better outcome for everyone dealing with the issue. Make sure to check it after they are done. Hope they don’t just squirt gasket maker all over it and call it a day.

18. OR17TRD

This is the worst one I’ve seen so far. This was a guy on TW. E07B67B4-4439-4794-B018-3D2BEDCCE9FD.jpeg
    Mine doesn’t look as bad but same crap splattered in there.
    This is mine... 88510130-2AAF-4357-AA33-5C7F9F83D1DB.jpeg

Crawdad likes this.
  19. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Active Member

Status update: apparently no leak. They say it was just a smudge that resembled fluid.

I checked it out while it was on the lift and everything checked out.

I’ll keep an eye on it just in case and now it’s documented in the event something were to happen later.

B-Man, Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.