Differential recall

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Chris Ciavola, Jun 11, 2017.

1. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Took my truck in yesterday for the 4th time regarding the rear diff. The master tech from corporate looked at the truck. Just received a phone call that the rear diff is leaking and they are going to attempt to fix it again. They actually gave me a Tacoma for a loaner this time. 2013 DCLB sport. That’s right @Bogunn I've got a scoop.
    2CA37239-6C8B-42C1-99EE-556746D220B5.jpeg

B-Man, kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

you’ll never be the same.

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  4. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

B-Man likes this.
  5. Crawdad

#SKEWP4LIFE

B-Man, OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  6. OR17TRD

Going to get my truck back now. They’ve had it since Tuesday. 4 days. They replaced the rear diff gasket with the same gasket they used last time. We will see how long before it starts leaking.
    On a side note my wobbling drivers seat got a new frame so I’m hoping that is fixed.

Bogunn, Crawdad and B-Man like this.
  7. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Hope they got er fixed for ya!

8. Crawdad

Nice buddy, hope it works out in your favor.

OR17TRD likes this.
  9. OR17TRD

Me too.

10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Hope it’s right.

11. OR17TRD

Seat feels so much better. It’s not wobbling anymore. They replaced the frame. That was one of the biggest annoyances. 63FCAC4E-1094-4A28-BA25-BEA5FF9B3673.gif

kp.taco, Bogunn and Crawdad like this.
  12. OR17TRD

Haven’t had time to crawl under and give it a good inspection. Here is the latest handy work. RTV gasket??
    06171D00-E436-4990-94FB-0CE10CC24239.jpeg 30A04034-7A9B-41FD-B914-BBE4D63C256C.jpeg F40DC347-B3BC-4FE2-B396-97CE50A7E9B9.jpeg

kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  13. OR17TRD

I don’t know if I want to... 8838A0BB-95B0-4516-8D67-BC47EF607249.gif

OR

CC4F80FB-42D5-4CFF-9080-F591E3CE8D38.gif

14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

OR17TRD likes this.
  15. OR17TRD

Should I have to?

16. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Nope. It’s crap. I hate you’ve had to go through all of it.

OR17TRD likes this.
  17. OR17TRD

Better me than someone else. Its going to be interesting to see how many OR owners unaware of the issue and at 61k to 70k miles take it in for service only to pay for a new rear diff gasket because they are out of factory warranty.
    You’ll pay for a RTV gasket fix it yourself.

Bogunn likes this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    It’ll be mass chaos if they start to get a lot of guys out of warranty with jacked up rearends from their leaking differentials.
    I think that’s what they were trying to avoid when they were holding them captive last summer.
    We all remember the frame recalls of practically all first gens. They don’t want a mass payout like that again.
    One thing they did do was make it right with the first gen owners though when they were recalling. I don’t think any other manufacturer would have been that generous. I don’t even think Toyota would be that generous again.

19. Crawdad

When all else fails.... silicone the F&@% out of it!!!

But on a serious note,... either your rear-end housing or the third member must have a blemish on the mating surface or they're using a paper-thin junk gasket. There's no excuse for that. But maybe they got it this time,...? I really hope so for your sake.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  20. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Exactly right. It has to be one of the two. Junk gasket or a blemish/burred area.

OR17TRD likes this.
  21. Crawdad

Black RTV and nylon string has sealed up many 9" rear-ends for me! If mine ever starts leaking, I'm only giving the dealership 1 shot to fix it. Lol

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.