Do I need longer shocks with 3" front and 2" rear lift kit?

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by ISLANDER1089, May 29, 2015.

1. Demo Man

Demo Man Well-Known Member

I upload them from my phone. Easier that way for me.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    ISLANDER1089

ISLANDER1089 Member

Here are the pics finally uploaded from my phone. The first pic almost makes it look lower in the front. The photo was taken after doing a 3" front lift. The kit came with 2" blocks for the rear but I don't think it needs it. The truck is perfectly level without a load. Thanks Demo Man.
    ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1433813349.455034.jpg ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1433813376.274140.jpg

4. Demo Man

Demo Man Well-Known Member

Looks good. No worries. That's why we are here. To help each other.

5. silverpataco

silverpataco Well-Known Member

If you load it now rear will be lower than the front and a bit of oversteer will be felt! I always like the rear up a few inches for this reason!

6. OP
    ISLANDER1089

ISLANDER1089 Member

I am curious to see what the rear lift will look like. I don't carry much in the bed but I do pull a utility trailer from time to time.

7. silverpataco

Sooooo many brands offer blocks and longer u bolts. Then you've got a myriad of add a leafs.Bottom line is, whatever your doing with the truck most of the time and the way you like it to look!

8. silverpataco

My blocks and longer u bolts are going by by this week for ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1434893065.313375.jpg

NapalmTRD likes this.
  9. Deisel88

Deisel88 Well-Known Member

No need for longer shocks

10. OP
    ISLANDER1089

ISLANDER1089 Member

I decided to spend my Father's Day afternoon installing the 2" spacer blocks in the rear that came with the 3" spacer lift up front. As someone said, I've paid for them so why not install them. The new U-bolts are so long that I would need at least a 3" deep impact socket to tighten them. I think I can get away with using a 7/8" box wrench but that means I can't tighten them to the torque spec. Sooooooooo............after a cold one I'm headed back out there to finish the job. I just hope it doesn't jack the back end up too much.

11. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

It wont i have same lift

12. OP
    ISLANDER1089

ISLANDER1089 Member

I got the 2" spacers installed yesterday and the back end is definitely higher but no more of an angle than stock. I don't know why they call it a leveling kit because it's only level if you don't do the back end lift. I'm happy though and will leave the blocks in.

13. PinkTaco

Name is deceptive but imho it needs that little bit of rake

14. Vypr

Vypr Member

Islander. I bought that kit also but have not installed it. How is the ride afterwords? I really like the way it rides now at stock. How was the install? Time it took you?

15. PinkTaco

Its a bit bumpy compared to stock but worth it in my opinion and it took me about 6 hours to install

16. Vypr

Vypr Member

Ok so with this kit do I need to do the diff drop and the rear angled shims? The instructions are god awful.the papers also do not state what any of the bolts go to what. I assume the rock guard and sway mounts?
    Maybe I Better just send this back.

17. PinkTaco

You need detailed instructions i got the rough country 3 in lift abd directions were good, if your truck is second gen dont bother with diff drop because it doesnt do much but if its first gen it will help