E.D.T.... every darned time

Well....tell you what you could do.

Center the steering wheel as you deem correct. Tie it down so it can't turn or shift.

Lift the front of the truck, then place on a pair of jack stands.

Use two wrenches, adjust those tie rods so you are happy. Put it back on the ground and take it for a ride. Be sure to un-tie the steering wheel before you go.

When you get back, be sure to share how well it tracked and handled. I suspect your test drive will be short.

But at least jay will now be happy....this is what he wants
When I did my tundra's rack, I centered the wheel before doing anything using tie down straps to secure it in place so it wouldn't move. Once the new rack was installed with the new tie rod ends, I counted the number of threads on each of the old rods so the new ones would be very close once locked in place. Midas did the tire alignment afterwords, saying the toe was slightly off on the passenger side, while the driver side was dead on.

Last edited:
Yep. Did the same procedure when I replace the tie rods (inner & outer) on my Gem2.

Alignment shop said I had one side was off 1 degree and the other side was off 2 degrees.

FWIW. I don't think Jay will be happy with any result.

I must live right. I do most of my work myself. But over the years I have had to use shops. The first was a fellow who went to school with my mam and dad. When he retired his son in law. When an injury took him out I moved to the younger brother of a high school friend who had taken his dad's shop over. Both of those shops were in business for decades.

Now I use a shop run by a neighbor. The key to finding good shops is to have a long standing relationship with them. Any shop can screw up, it happens. But if a shop does consistently good work and has that screw up I'm not going to write them off. It's how they deal with it that counts.

i must not live right
i just do not get it :confused:

An absence of cotter pins to properly secure the castle nuts of the LBJs on BOTH sides
For one of the UBJs a paperclip was used to secure the castle nut
The good Lord Almighty only knows what was used if anything to secure the axle nuts :confused:
Take a picture and throw them under the bus to better business bureau.and the put it out the for everyone how much they suck

Take a picture and throw them under the bus to better business bureau.and the put it out the for everyone how much they suck
Are you aware that unsecured LBJs on the gen1 can possibly result in a deadly situation if you hit the wrong rotted hole at the right speed? The damned castle nut was already working itself loose if it was even torqued proper to begin with

It's going to be a long list of shops in different states that supposedly screwed him over. I do agree jay needs to develop a good report with one known reputable shop, and not wander off to every dick, and harry, especially ones he'll visit only once while on his road to nowhere. Those are the worst because they figure likely to not see him back. Usually word of mouth is a good place to begin when looking for service.

I prefer to stay with a local yota dealership, because I figure they are specifically trained on the Toyota ins and outs and will use the genuine OEM factory parts that fit properly
But I am running into an age-related issue that some techs are barely older than this '97 taco :eek: and know zilch about the MT and clutch life
But their oil filter change is a bit rich for I at over 70$ and will not lubricate the prop shaft

I was trying to develop report with an indie yota shop until the serious misdiagnosis of some queer rattle that was developing over many months
It was disappointing to say the least...

found this droopy and flopping around the top of the transmission
wotNtarnation??

slop + hacks...

loose cable connector on top of transmission.JPG

Thats a type of gasket sealant when a shop rebuilds, or refurbs a transmission.....normal
i was looking at the unconnected wire harness... the blue connector
do U C it there?
where is it supposed to go??
why is it unhooked and just dangling all droopy there!?

Idk for that vehicle, but on many manual operated vehicles it'd be for switching to the back up lights when going into reverse.

Back