Engine RPM’s turning the steering wheel

I just scored a great deal on a bulk shipment of 3 Star aluminum alloy wheel spacers. I got a 15 pound box of spacers for each wheel and a caulk gun tube of Locktite and they were pretty sure they gave me enough lug nuts to put at least 3 on each spacer.

I have a 2017 SR5 and since I got it when I turn the steering wheel the engine revs up 300 rpm. The dealer said it was normal but I have a friend who has the same truck without this problem. Anyone else have this program?

The Tacoma’s still have hydraulic power steering. Anytime you turn the wheel it will put strain on the engine so the RPM’s go up.

Whippersnapper02 if the load was the problem then it would happen when I turn on the AC or lower widows but it doesn’t. I have a friend who has the same truck built 3 weeks later and his truck doesn’t do it. Plus if this was a normal thing many other owners would say yeah mine does it too.

Whippersnapper02 if the load was the problem then it would happen when I turn on the AC or lower widows but it doesn’t. I have a friend who has the same truck built 3 weeks later and his truck doesn’t do it. Plus if this was a normal thing many other owners would say yeah mine does it too.

Normal. Your friend's truck could have already been on load with the AC because defrost will trigger the AC to dry the air. Electric windows aren't a large enough load to cause a significant drag on the engine.

The fact is that the ECU will open the throttle to compensate for added load. What you described is normal. Going back to the dealer is just chasing a problem that doesn't exist. A few people just said their truck does it. Mine does it and I don't flinch.

Its normal

When you add a load to the engine when it's at idle, the ECU is going to open the throttle to keep a minimum RPM so the engine doesn't stall and the accessories spin at a sufficient RPM. This extra load could be power steering, AC or even an electrical load.

[emoji1312]nailed it

The Tacoma’s still have hydraulic power steering. Anytime you turn the wheel it will put strain on the engine so the RPM’s go up.

Man it’s normal.

My scion did it, my dodge does it and all the other vehicles I've owned have done the same thing. The rpm change isn't anything new unless it does it at idle and nothing else is on.(that would be the idle speed sensor)

Back