Engine RPM’s turning the steering wheel

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by petrw, May 9, 2018.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

I can take my sway bar off now right?

Cape taco likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

4. Crawdad

I just scored a great deal on a bulk shipment of 3 Star aluminum alloy wheel spacers. I got a 15 pound box of spacers for each wheel and a caulk gun tube of Locktite and they were pretty sure they gave me enough lug nuts to put at least 3 on each spacer.

5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

The Tacoma’s still have hydraulic power steering. Anytime you turn the wheel it will put strain on the engine so the RPM’s go up.

B-Man likes this.
  6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Sweet. Where’d you get those? I want a set. I found a good deal on a rough country lift and I was wanting to lift my truck 33”. Those tires would be great.

7. Crawdad

I think you could get away with the 3” and do some fender trimming

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Good to know. I’ll get my sawzall

OR17TRD, B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  9. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

The sawzall is your friend

Bogunn likes this.
  10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Very true. I’ve used mine a whole lot over the years.

11. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Only as good as your tools.

12. OP
    petrw

petrw Member

Whippersnapper02 if the load was the problem then it would happen when I turn on the AC or lower widows but it doesn’t. I have a friend who has the same truck built 3 weeks later and his truck doesn’t do it. Plus if this was a normal thing many other owners would say yeah mine does it too.

13. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Normal. Your friend's truck could have already been on load with the AC because defrost will trigger the AC to dry the air. Electric windows aren't a large enough load to cause a significant drag on the engine.

The fact is that the ECU will open the throttle to compensate for added load. What you described is normal. Going back to the dealer is just chasing a problem that doesn't exist. A few people just said their truck does it. Mine does it and I don't flinch.

Bogunn likes this.
  14. OR17TRD

My 2017 doesn’t do it because I don’t sit at idle and crank my wheel back and forth.

B-Man, lcarrasco212, Crawdad and 2 others like this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Man it’s normal.

whippersnapper02 and mcklovin77 like this.
  16. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

My scion did it, my dodge does it and all the other vehicles I've owned have done the same thing. The rpm change isn't anything new unless it does it at idle and nothing else is on.(that would be the idle speed sensor)

17. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

@petrw just to ease your mind I actually took pics of the RPM gauge to show you: at idle on the left and with slight wheel turn on the right.
    IMG_2516.JPG

18. OR17TRD

You broke it

19. Crawdad

Right?!?!

OR17TRD likes this.
  20. Crawdad

It’s totaled. Just drop it off at my shop and leave a signed title in the glove box.

21. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

will you tow me to the dealership?

OR17TRD likes this.