Exhaust clamps?

OffroadTaco4x4

Ok let me start off by saying I'm 16, but I do know my stuff about trucks I mean come on I drive a Tacoma. So since I'm a teenager naturally I wanted my truck to be loud, so I got curious and cut the muffler off. I slapped a turndown tip on the exhaust and drive around making noise. Now I've come to realize that making 7 hour trips to my family's land in NC won't be that fun with all the noise. So I want to buy a magnaflow 14in muffer and I'm debating the way to attach it. I've heard nothing but good things about exhaust clamps, what are your guys opinion clamps or getting it welded in (I'm on a budget). If so on clamps, what type of clamps should I use?

I know welding is the best but I only have 80 bucks and the muffler is 67 so I think I'm guna have to go clamps. What exactly do you mean by the wide ones

Ok so I looked on summit racing and they have 2 types of clamps butt joint and lap joint can anyone tell me the difference and which is better

Ok guys I'm at a lose right now. So apparently Tacoma exhaust is not 2.5in it's like 2.389 or something so to use the 2.5in muffler I guess I can't use butt clamps because the 2 pipes are different sizes, so do I have to use lap joint clamps? And if so how do those work, sorry I've never worked with exhaust clamps before

Shot in the dark.....find a clamp that will fit similar to this one.
Website: http://tecexhaust.com/default/clamps/band-clamps.html

band_clamp.jpg

Last edited:
Oh hahaha I didn't even see the link I just saw the picture well I'm still confused on how lap joints work. I see how the clamp looks from the picture but that one make me think I would pick two sizes, one for one side the one for the other side, but it only lets me pick one size

Oh hahaha I didn't even see the link I just saw the picture well I'm still confused on how lap joints work. I see how the clamp looks from the picture but that one make me think I would pick two sizes, one for one side the one for the other side, but it only lets me pick one size

Not sure if they sell these at a local auto parts or muffler shop but you could always email the company and ask. Just give them the sizes your working with.

My manual doesn't say but you can take a tape measure to it and measure the outside diameter and then inside diameter. Pretty sure they use outside for exhaust.

Edit
2.5 for 4.0L
2.25 for 3.4L
2.25 for 2.7L
These are the numbers I'm finding for stock exhaust.

Last edited:
Back