Exhaust idea.

Thewarriordinghy

I have officially started my exhaust savings fund. I have decided to go with the TRD for the efficiency, and itll save me a lil on gas(not much, but when you drive 30,000 miles a year it adds up). I was wondering a few things.
1. Does it improve efficiency?
2. Does it have a muffler?
3. Could you use a cherrybomb glasspack for the muffler?
4. Would the cherrybomb ruin the effeciency?
5. Would it sound alright together?

The TRD is a straight bolt on. If your looking to change mufflers it will be cheaper for you to do it yourself. I have a TRD exhaust. Little rumble but not a lot. You won't notice a big difference in power. I noticed more throttle response then power.

1. Does it improve efficiency?
2. Does it have a muffler?
3. Could you use a cherrybomb glasspack for the muffler?
4. Would the cherrybomb ruin the effeciency?
5. Would it sound alright together?

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. I don't think it would sound good but I don't like glasspacks on anything. Also glasspacks fail a lot more often than regular mufflers.

It says it improves gas mileage by 1.5 mpg? But id expect only 1, which saves alot of money? And glasspacks fail? Whats that mean?

The TRD is a straight bolt on. If your looking to change mufflers it will be cheaper for you to do it yourself. I have a TRD exhaust. Little rumble but not a lot. You won't notice a big difference in power. I noticed more throttle response then power.

Any slight mpg gain? I know itd be SLIGHT, but is there one?

If your looking to save gas. Tacoma was the wrong choice. When I traded my '09 for my '12, I actually lost MPG. I was getting 19-23 and now I'm getting 15-22.

If your looking to save gas. Tacoma was the wrong choice. When I traded my '09 for my '12, I actually lost MPG. I was getting 19-23 and now I'm getting 15-22.

Im not looking for anythin big... Just enough to have an excuse to get it. (Family wont be as mad)

Just get the muffler, you know you want it!

If you're really concerned with MPG, start driving more conservatively. Stay light on the throttle, no need to get up to speed as fast as you can. Avoid routes with a lot of stop and go traffic and stick to highways. You will notice a difference in mpg if you stick with it.

Just get the muffler, you know you want it!

If you're really concerned with MPG, start driving more conservatively. Stay light on the throttle, no need to get up to speed as fast as you can. Avoid routes with a lot of stop and go traffic and stick to highways. You will notice a difference in mpg if you stick with it.
I want it with the exhaust.... I think itd sound nice, and im almost all interstate. Whippersnapper said cherry bombs fail???.

I don't understand the point in buying a 400 dollar cat back exhaust "system" when you can get a different muffler and tip welded in for 200 bucks. I mean it's all for sound anyway, so just go find the muffler that you like the sound of and get it welded in.

Last edited:
I like the mandrel bends and clean weld of a catback vs the booger welds, crush bends and mild steel pipe of the exhaust shop. Also the exhaust shop is lazy so the tend to weld everything so you can't get any of it off later if you have to.

Warranty is also nice. My Banks muffler came apart and Banks fixed it. The muffler you buy at the shop has some warranty but nothing like a Banks lifetime warranty.

So like the trd comes with a muffler, is it good enough not to fall apart? And what makes muffler fall apart? I do NOT offroad if thats the case.

Back