Fuel grade

I run 87 and I try to use name brand (shell, BP, ect)...... Ive drank the kool aid and assume the name brands have higher quality additives.....

Depending on your state, higher octane fuel will only return better mileage because it has less or no ethanol content. In CA, all gasoline from the pump has 10%. Still, running high octane fuel in a engine that only needs low octane can sometimes reduce power.

At the very least your throwing money away , running 91+ octane in a smog motor with low compression is like try to knit a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just doesn't work out so well...

Thank you...

Maybe it's chocolate content?

At the very least your throwing money away , running 91+ octane in a smog motor with low compression is like try to knit a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just doesn't work out so well...

I remember an Sport Compact Car article back in the day testing this. They took a 2000ish Honda Accord V6 and ran 3 grades of CA gas on it. The engine only needed 87 octane to run at top performance. It consistently lost 10 horsepower on 91 octane. They tried an ECU reset, running through a few tanks and temp changes. It was down about 10 horsepower every time. The fuel is harder to ignite and burns slower.

Last edited:
Maybe it's chocolate content?

I remember an Sport Compact Car article back in the day testing this. They took a 2000ish Honda Accord V6 and ran 3 grades of CA gas on it. The engine only needed 87 octane to run at top performance. It consistently lost 10 horsepower on 91 octane. They tried an ECU reset, running through a few tanks and temp changes. It was down about 10 horsepower every time. The fuel is harder to ignite and burns slower.

That, & too bad a lot of you never experienced real, refined , high octane fuel, gas was the color of reddish orange with just a hint of bluish aura around the edges, highest octane you could get in my neck of the woods was 103* !! Not bad for pump gas, Gulf oil. AV fuel was 107 IIRC .

These were the fuels you HAD to run with big blocks rolling 10.5:1 to 11:1 compression (most with no S/C or boost) It was the only thing keeping them from pinging themselves to death...

You are lucky I live in Michigan and on average I get about 17 to 18 thats it. But I do most of my driving on city streets

87 only. Anything above is a waste and it's been proven to have a worse effect if you use 91 octane unless you have a vehicle which states 91 octane only. If you want longevity and the right fuel mileage use 87 octane.

Its online, also mythbusters and Adam ruins everything proved its a scam from the fuel companies for you to believe that higher octane feuls are cleaner and better. They were sued and lost. Than the fuel companies wanted for you to believe that their additives were better and kept your engines cleaner and improved mileage but also they were sued and lost for fake advertising. In fact the additives and higher octane fuels made the stats worse.They say just plain old 87 octane is still the best.

Its online, also mythbusters and Adam ruins everything proved its a scam from the fuel companies for you to believe that higher octane feuls are cleaner and better. They were sued and lost. Than the fuel companies wanted for you to believe that their additives were better and kept your engines cleaner and improved mileage but also they were sued and lost for fake advertising. In fact the additives and higher octane fuels made the stats worse.They say just plain old 87 octane is still the best.
Even for those blowers and suckers.

But wheres the longevity come into play?

Back