Gardens

tacojoel

If anyone is out there thats planted a vegetable garden, lets hear from them how they're doing this year. It's been a rather sweaty, and wet one here in New England. So far my vegetable garden is doing pretty good. Just sampled 3 tomato varieties between yesterday, and now. Nothing like a fresh sun ripe pink brandywine tomato. Surprised it was that flavorful after all the rain we've had, as the other 2 sucked. Can't wait to try my other heirlooms that will likely take 2 more weeks. Oh yeah, the rest of the garden has been growing like weeds....sweet corn should be another 3-4 weeks.

i've got a 'sorta garden' dedicated to the King
labeled it Brandon's empty garden

it was more ripe last year than it is this year so far...
must be the exceptional drought in the middle of the country this year

i've got a 'sorta garden' dedicated to the King
labeled it Brandon's empty garden

it was more ripe last year than it is this year so far...
must be the exceptional drought in the middle of the country this year
Well, there's one way that can be fixed.

Going to sample one of these russian heirloom tomato's I ve grown. It's a huge plant, that produces these dark greenish/purple baseball size tomato's, and lots of them. I picked one that looks ripe this morning.

do you grow mushrooms in this garden?
No, but I've used fertilizer's composed of mushrooms in the past. It never worked that well, but it did grow mushrooms where I didn't want them
I just ate one of my russian tomato's...not great, too watery. It would have been much better if we didn't get so much rain.

how does your garden grow?
With various type of feeding it fertilizers, water, and sunlight. It's called planting a garden 101.
Right now I've got tomatoes developing up the yin-yang. I've got one plant loaded with jalapeño peppers that are nearly ready to pick. Ate 4 tomatoes today with sandwiches, with some nice fresh arugula from the garden. This hot spell is developing those tomatoes, and peppers overtime. Were suppose to get even hotter weather this week...its coming east they say.

Artisan well water if no rain for a spell. I have a garden soil meter that monitors how moist the soil gets. I try to keep it at a specific number. My gauge also tells me when the soil is too acidic, or alkaline needing soil amendments.

Right now, I've got an over abundance of ripe tomatoes, been bringing them over to the local nursing home. Can't even give them to my brother...he hates them. I keep telling him to taste one my yellow amish tomatoes, you'll never refuse another.
Next week I'm going to make some of my spicy vegetable goulash. Got a variety of peppers that are ripe and big enough to pick. My zucchini, and yellow squash is ripe for the pickings too.

Last edited:
You really can't refrigerate tomatoes, they seem to lose their flavor, not mention trusting ups, or fedex to get them there in any condition to use.

so i would have to make a drop-by to pick up some of them tasty tomato you have extra of :)

At the rate they're ripening due to the abnormal heat we're having, who knows how long they will be producing....right now they are ripening overnight. Tomato plants won't produce any new tomatoes, if it stays this hot every day. I'm eating a black krim with mayo right now.
I'm looking at the temp....it's about 7pm, and it's still in the 90's.

can you get your neighbor to get some pics of those ghost peppers piped into here :)

No, I don't want to bother neighbors for such a stupid thing, You can do online search if you want more info. I can tell you just one would make my entire batch of goulash taste like rocket fuel.

Back