Getting a new rig and cant decide!

Discussion in 'Off-Road' started by bandit31985, Sep 5, 2017.

1. bandit31985

bandit31985 Member

I'm finally selling my 2006 2.7L taco, found rust on the inside rocker. 7,000 and she only has 136,000. Damn Vermont winters and salt!!! Anyway I'm going brandy new having a hard time deciding between the TRD off road with the automatic tranny and the TRD sport with the 6 speed manual. Also I'm debating weather I even need a V6 and to top it all off debating weather I shouldn't just go with the SR5 over TRD if I decide on V6. I just recently got back from a round the country road trip and my 2.7 had trouble keeping speed on the long grades and hills of the west coast. That's why I'm leaning towards a V6, I plan on doing more overlanding in the future and plan to do more off roading and upgrades also. Idk what my actual question is but just wondering everyone's opinion on motors, transmission and all the new upgrades like crawl control in the trd. Any help or suggestions welcomed even if you wanna tell me to go to hell. Hah thanks y'all

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I'd get the V6 off-road. If you are going to be doing more off roading and want the power. I love mine more and more. I'd wait and get a 2018 TRD OR DCLB. Manual if you don't want the crawl control. Personally I like the crawl feature. Seems like a lot of the bugs have been working out of them at this point. 2018 should have the TSS-P as well.

4. OP
    bandit31985

bandit31985 Member

Thanks OR17TRD. I like the name, you in Oregon? Some nice off roading there! No problems with crawl control so far? I just don't want to get a gimmicky feature that doesn't work in the future ya know what I mean. What's DCBL and TSS-P?

toyocruiser likes this.
  5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

yeah. I understand. Double cab long bed-DCLB. TSS-P is the toyota safety sense-P technology they have been putting in their vehicles. Check link below.
    No issues with the crawl. It's worked great the few times I've used it. Once it starts snowing again I'll try it in the snow.

http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/2018-tacoma-with-tss-p.5544/

6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I have a Sport DCLB. I love the space and room of the long bed and double cab. Each to their own though.
    Good advice from OR17TRD.
    Personally I’d test drive each one see what fits.

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Ok, go to hell....

j/k

Decisions,decisions , yeah it's tough when buying a new 'yota with the dismal power train options, your choices are going to be a close ratio'ed 6 speed auto or a similiar 6 speed manual, at least with the manual to can pick which gear to be in or you can leave it to an automatic that seems to have no idea which gear to be in , in most all situations, so pick the best of the worst, this of course is just my opinion after experiencing both tranny's & their weird characteristics.

I just KNOW Toyota can do better by regressing back to a 4 spd w/OD auto or a standard 5 speed manual, funny thing is, I never recalled hearing any bitching about these transmissions , like I've said Toyota should stop trying to re-invent the mouse trap with 6 spds (auto or manual matters not) & trying to match it with a 6cyl that thinks it has the powerband of a V8