Getting a new rig and cant decide!

Discussion in 'Off-Road' started by bandit31985, Sep 5, 2017.

1. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

That’s what made me love the 1st gen 4Runner.

4wd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Dude, I love the 1st gen 4runner, I've got a friend that has one, top comes off , & it's a solid axle, here's the kicker, it's a 22RE as well...

Bogunn likes this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Toyota made the Trekker 81-83 but didn’t get it right until they came out with the 4Runner in 84. Your friend has the 1985 last year they made a straight axel and first year they did the fuel injection. Most rare 1st gen 4Runner. If it’s SR5 and loaded he’s got a gem.

Bogunn and 4wd like this.
  5. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

He has & it is...

6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I had an 84 Bronco with 351 Cleveland bored 0.030 over and a Holley 4 barrel. I loved that thing.
    @4wd I love the old K5 Blazers. IMO these beasts are when the Big 3 we’re still on top of their game. The first gen 4-Runners were awesome too. I’ve had two second gen 4-Runners and one third gen.
    There’s something about the rugged utility of a bare bones truck/SUV. Miss the old stuff.

4wd likes this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I liked the body style and drive train of the mid 90’s GM trucks.
    I miss the old GM 350 and Ford: 351, 400, 300, and C6 transmission.
    Ford died to me when they got rid of the Bronco and their benchmark drivetrains all in one year in 1996.

Crawdad and kp.taco like this.
  8. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Ah yes back when Chevrolet could make good trucks. .. This k5 is nice, don't see very many of these anymore.

4wd and Bogunn like this.
  9. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

They are getting harder to find, there was a time up to 1973 that the big three (especially between 1969-1973) there was so much similarity that drive train was pretty much inter changeable, they all ran Dana/Spicer running gear w/new process manual trans. (top loaders) It came down to appearance & what one liked as to making a choice...

10. Walt

Walt Member

I just bought a new 17 trd sport with six speed manual I love it

11. jski701

jski701 Well-Known Member

Love that !!!!! '70-'72 is my favorite body style Chevy. The rest they can keep including that fancied up S-10

I dont know exactly what kind of wheeling you're going to be doing but the older Toyota 4x4s with an LSD and locking hubs got me everywhere I had to go. I think any model you choose will get you where you want to go, but with the power and good mpg of the 6cyl it doesn't make sense to get a 4cyl. 2wd light duty work truck, then go for the 4, but any plans on offroading or any kind of steep hills where you drive and I would definitely go for the 6. As far as model, get whatever model has the options you want and that you'll be happy with, they'll more than likely all do well for most peoples uses. Personally I would go with the TRD Offroad, but thats me, I definitely dont need it..... more of a want kinda thing (better to have more than you need than not enough)

Good Luck with your decision

Walt, kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  12. Walt

Walt Member

I've been fortunate enough to have owned an old k-5 Jeep commando and a scout each had it's special appeal.i think as I get older I'm also seeking comfort

jski701 likes this.