Hesitation

Lesson learned for me. I should have done more research, but it will not be that bad if Toyota and the dealer will step up and take care of all the issues that some of us are experiencing. The dealer that I purchased my 2016 TRD Sport has not been very responsive to my issues, and that is the most disappointing feeling. Bottom line they just don't care.

I had my TSB updated 3 weeks ago and have noticed the same hesitation after going up to see my daughter at college last weekend (325 miles one way). Like mentioned in other folks posts, "it is frustrating". I will be taking it back to the dealer for 10K maintenance soon and let them know about this new problem. Fortunately my dealership is very receptive to the new Taco issues and had no problem doing the TSB update. I will keep everyone posted on what they say.

Honestly I just drove 600 miles from Oregon to California, I have never been so unhappy with any car on the highway. The extra sixth gear is mostly useless. The truck shifts so much, even with the slightest hill on the highway, the tranny is continually hunting for gears. It's always shifting in and out of fourth. The worst vehicle I have ever driven on the highway. I am so displeased with the truck, I hope she gets stolen. I have 3000 miles on it and hate it horribly on the highway. Toyota is dead wrong if they think people will enjoy driving this on the highway. If you are into off road and this would be your main use for the truck, I would say go for it, you are going to hate the drive getting to your off road fun. I am very bummed as I always wanted a nice Tacoma.WTF is Toyota thinking. If u like to drive 75 mph u might as well manually shift it to fourth and leave it there screaming down the road....what a joke!

Honestly I just drove 600 miles from Oregon to California, I have never been so unhappy with any car on the highway. The extra sixth gear is mostly useless. The truck shifts so much, even with the slightest hill on the highway, the tranny is continually hunting for gears. It's always shifting in and out of fourth. The worst vehicle I have ever driven on the highway. I am so displeased with the truck, I hope she gets stolen. I have 3000 miles on it and hate it horribly on the highway. Toyota is dead wrong if they think people will enjoy driving this on the highway. If you are into off road and this would be your main use for the truck, I would say go for it, you are going to hate the drive getting to your off road fun. I am very bummed as I always wanted a nice Tacoma.WTF is Toyota thinking. If u like to drive 75 mph u might as well manually shift it to fourth and leave it there screaming down the road....what a joke!

Unfortunately this is what you get when people want car like mileage from a pickup. I'd like to see how that 10 speed in the F150 is going to work out. I should trade in for one before it becomes a mountain bike.

Last edited:
Mine did the same for about the first 10k. The transmission is supposed to learn your driving habits. I have 20k now and it's fine.

Unfortunately this is what you get when people want car like mileage from a pickup. I'd like to see how that 10 speed in the F150 is going to work out. I should trade in for one before it becomes a mountain bike.
I'm comparing this
To the last 4 trucks I owned, mpg is not my concern here. The truck is
Not good for highway use. I have a Nissan Rogue I can take if mpg was my concern. My point is....I buy a new car every 2-3 years and always buy trucks or suv's, this truck sucks on the highway. I'm not complaining one bit about mpg, I actually think it did pretty good as far as mpg's go, I'm talking about the annoying constant downshift even going 60-65 even at the sight of a slight incline. HORRIBLE on the highway unless you only drive 50-55mph. I want to love this truck, my old SR5 was my most favorite truck ever! Bummed out! Why do u insult my intelligence? I restore hot rods and have built a couple off road beasts, comparing a car to a truck is like compairing apples to oranges. Your reply is useless on this thread....you opened your mouth and a fart came out! Point is, Toyota should not have used a 6 speed tranny. I would wait to buy a Tacoma until they go to a different transmission.

I'm comparing this
To the last 4 trucks I owned, mpg is not my concern here. The truck is
Not good for highway use. I have a Nissan Rogue I can take if mpg was my concern. My point is....I buy a new car every 2-3 years and always buy trucks or suv's, this truck sucks on the highway. I'm not complaining one bit about mpg, I actually think it did pretty good as far as mpg's go, I'm talking about the annoying constant downshift even going 60-65 even at the sight of a slight incline. HORRIBLE on the highway unless you only drive 50-55mph. I want to love this truck, my old SR5 was my most favorite truck ever! Bummed out! Why do u insult my intelligence? I restore hot rods and have built a couple off road beasts, comparing a car to a truck is like compairing apples to oranges. Your reply is useless on this thread....you opened your mouth and a fart came out! Point is, Toyota should not have used a 6 speed tranny. I would wait to buy a Tacoma until they go to a different transmission.

Ok...They have a cream for you backside to cure your pain.

Never asked or cared about what you did in your personal life.

Well now that we have set it straight, the six speed sucks on this truck and there's no way around it. I really should have got the manual transmission. Anyone want to trade a manual for an automatic LOL! Live and learn!!! I just hope this motor can take the constant screaming because I don't like to drive 60 on the highway.

Back