If someone GAVE you a Rough Rider 3" spacer lift (FREE) would you install it?

That was caused by the spacer. Same thing happened to one of the TW guys at a Cleghorn meet. He came down hard and it bent like that. The spacer brings the whole coilover down which causes it to bottom out before the lower control arm hits the bump stop. If the spacer wasn't there the bump stop would have worked properly. Yes if you hit hard enough you will cause damage no matter what but the spacer makes it easier to break crap. No one will ever learn though. 30K truck and they put a cheap lift on it. I'll never understand.

Seen the same thing happen to a jeep guy at one of those jamborees they have in maine. They had a hell of a time pulling him off the trail.

I haven't been offroad since I was in my twenties, and I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon. With that said, I enjoy driving trucks that are a little higher than this. Since this truck is my daily driver, I am only worried about the ride on the road. I am wondering how the rider of a spacer-lift compares to the stock ride around town.

I've got 3" rough country spacer lift on my truck, and it didn't seem to take away from the ride. I'm not doing any thing crazy though. May do some light off roading in the future

I've got 3" rough country spacer lift on my truck, and it didn't seem to take away from the ride. I'm not doing any thing crazy though. May do some light off roading in the future

This is the same kit I was given. How long have you had it installed? How does it ride on long trips (5 hrs or more)? I figured it might be a little stiff.

Lol I've only had it on there for a month. Haven't done any long trips yet. Didn't notice any difference in the ride from before/after the install though. I am getting a little creaking from the passenger side when I reverse, and wheel is cranked to the left though. My buddy said its probably just the spring

Sell the spacers and get some 5100's. Best bang for ur buck. I have a friend that hit a good size pothole on the freeway and it snapped the lower portion of the shock. After looking at the broken factory shock, its hollow and made of a thin metal.

Hello all, new owner here of a 2014 TRD doublecab Sport, barcelona red. Got it about a month ago and went right to work with mods. AVS hood and window shields, some TRD badges front and rear (grille/tailgate), all weather floormats, Westin Gen-X step rails, Bak Industries Roll-X tonneau cover, Pop & Lock tailgate lock (just got the new PL-5400 today, new for revised rear camera on the 2014 Tacoma) Timbren bump stops (for when i tow my 21 foot travel trailer on occasion) and added a lift kit, which is why I am replying to this topic. I was sifting through the board and came across this discussion and you all have me worried! My mechanic friend and I added a Rough Country N2 spacer lift kit to my truck, 3 inch front, 2 inch rear (level kit) and changed the rear shocks with the Rough Country N2 gas shocks that were part of the kit (longer for the lift). After much deliberation, reading an article about types of lift kits and talking with my mechanic friend, I decided to go with this RC lift kit. I wanted to maintain the stock ride (didnt want a stiffer ride with front billstein adjustable coil overs and rear add a leafs) and I do not off road, I was going for the look and higher ride height. According to the article I read (link from a Tacoma forum), it said spacer kits are perfectly fine for non-offroading and will maintain stock ride. My mechanic said the same, and he had added spacers to several trucks he has owned (2 currently) with no issue. The Tacoma rides nice with this kit, I think even better with the RC rear shocks. What do you all think? I called RC to ask about the need to lower the differential and they said its not required for the kit I installed. My mechanic said the same. After reading the negative posts and seeing pix, I'm getting scared of long term effects (ball joints? Busted shocks?). I have some 17x9 Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels on order as well as BFG Rugged Terrain 285/70/17 tires due in this week. Will post pix when done. Just worried about the RC spacer lift kit now after reading this post.

Keith in NJ

Last edited:
Hello all, new owner here of a 2014 TRD doublecab Sport, barcelona red. Got it about a month ago and went right to work with mods. AVS hood and window shields, some TRD badges front and rear (grille/tailgate), all weather floormats, Westin Gen-X step rails, Bak Industries Roll-X tonneau cover, Pop & Lock tailgate lock (just got the new PL-5400 today, new for revised rear camera on the 2014 Tacoma) Timbren bump stops (for when i tow my 21 foot travel trailer on occasion) and added a lift kit, which is why I am replying to this topic. I was sifting through the board and came across this discussion and you all have me worried! My mechanic friend and I added a Rough Country N2 spacer lift kit to my truck, 3 inch front, 2 inch rear (level kit) and changed the rear shocks with the Rough Country N2 gas shocks that were part of the kit (longer for the lift). After much deliberation, reading an article about types of lift kits and talking with my mechanic friend, I decided to go with this RC lift kit. I wanted to maintain the stock ride (didnt want a stiffer ride with front billstein adjustable coil overs and rear add a leafs) and I do not off road, I was going for the look and higher ride height. According to the article I read (link from a Tacoma forum), it said spacer kits are perfectly fine for non-offroading and will maintain stock ride. My mechanic said the same, and he had added spacers to several trucks he has owned (2 currently) with no issue. The Tacoma rides nice with this kit, I think even better with the RC rear shocks. What do you all think? I called RC to ask about the need to lower the differential and they said its not required for the kit I installed. My mechanic said the same. After reading the negative posts and seeing pix, I'm getting scared of long term effects (ball joints? Busted shocks?). I have some 17x9 Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels on order as well as BFG Rugged Terrain 285/70/17 tires due in this week. Will post pix when done. Just worried about the RC spacer lift kit now after reading this post.

Keith in NJ

You should be fine. Your ball joint may wear out over time, but upper control arms aren't hard to replace. I wouldn't worry about it

Here is a pic of the "Junk country" lift installed with the new BFG Rugged Terrain 285/70/17 tires mounted on new Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels. I removed the front most mini mud flaps - have no idea what they were for but they were contacting the tires when I turned the wheel full left or right. Also added a machine screw to pull the normal front mudflaps in tighter to the wheel well to get the tires to clear better when the wheel was turned. Other than that, the tires clear. I'm planning on adding a Hellwig anti-sway bar next and Auto Dim Mirror with Temp/compass next. Rough Country lift rides nice, maintains the stock ride, got a little rougher with bigger tires but not bad. Going to drop the front sway bar 3" to get it back to level when I get time.

Attachments

• 20131223_093513.jpg
    20131223_093513.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20131220_163915.jpg
    20131220_163915.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20131220_163900.jpg
    20131220_163900.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40
Some additional pics of the truck, one when I first got it, one with my neighbors truck on jack stands while exchanging my stock tires to his 2006 TRD Sport - he bought my tires and mounted on the stock TRD wheels, and one with the stock TRD wheels with other mods (window/hood wind deflectors, Westin Gen-X nerf bars, Bak Roll-X tonneau cover, "Junk country" 3" lift.

Attachments

• 20131220_133539.jpg
    20131220_133539.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20131111_105502.jpg
    20131111_105502.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20131220_092317.jpg
    20131220_092317.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 43
Back