Murder your chrome!

looking good guys!

I have had my badges done for over 2 years now. I did them about 2 weeks after i got my truck.

also FYI. I did my rear chrome bumper may of ’12 and by june on’13 the edges had started to peal back. I don’t know if it’s from being hit with dirt off roading some or what all. but I used 1 full can, and I kinda wish i would have used 2 cans and made it thicker. I think if i made it thicker it would have held up longer. So if you off road some, I’d suggest you use 2 cans if you want it to stay for a good amount of time.

looking good guys!

I have had my badges done for over 2 years now. I did them about 2 weeks after i got my truck.

also FYI. I did my rear chrome bumper may of ’12 and by june on’13 the edges had started to peal back. I don’t know if it’s from being hit with dirt off roading some or what all. but I used 1 full can, and I kinda wish i would have used 2 cans and made it thicker. I think if i made it thicker it would have held up longer. So if you off road some, I’d suggest you use 2 cans if you want it to stay for a good amount of time.

I was wondering how long the platidip would hold up

I was wondering how long the platidip would hold up

Yeah. It has held up really good on my badges like I said. I have the one on the grill done, It has also been hit by a bird, and I have the doors and tail gate badge done. they have been thru snow, rain, sleet, small hail storm i had to drive in a storm(no damage at all to the truck, so very small hail) salt off the roads. the whole truck being covered in a very thin layer of ice, from getting sleet that turned to snow.

Only thing is the rear bumper. I go down a lot of dirt/ gravel roads and think that the way it throws stuff up at the edges/sides on the bumper it just caused it to peal. I think if anyone is going to try if for a little time.(longer then a month or 2) and you do any light off roading, Use 2 full cans on the rear bumper and i think it will hold up better.

Yeah. It has held up really good on my badges like I said. I have the one on the grill done, It has also been hit by a bird, and I have the doors and tail gate badge done. they have been thru snow, rain, sleet, small hail storm i had to drive in a storm(no damage at all to the truck, so very small hail) salt off the roads. the whole truck being covered in a very thin layer of ice, from getting sleet that turned to snow.

Only thing is the rear bumper. I go down a lot of dirt/ gravel roads and think that the way it throws stuff up at the edges/sides on the bumper it just caused it to peal. I think if anyone is going to try if for a little time.(longer then a month or 2) and you do any light off roading, Use 2 full cans on the rear bumper and i think it will hold up better.

I used two cans for the whole truck. Front grill, rear bumper, badges

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1375244134.680425.jpg

Thanks to the random dudes who gave me some input on the plastidip'ing.. My grill came out sick looking! plus, now its moderately protected from scratches and whatnot..I can see why people get carried away with this stuff though because now i think I'll eventually dip my rear bumper.. leaves me the option of blacking stuff out, but being able to peel it off and go back to chrome if I want one day.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1375244177.803200.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1375244177.803200.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Where do u buy this stuff keep hearing about ..... when u do the grill do u have to take it off or just cover everything around it

Where do u buy this stuff keep hearing about ..... when u do the grill do u have to take it off or just cover everything around it

Just tape off around it, leave like an inch, and you can peel off the excess (make sure its thick)The emblem pops out easily. There's videos on YouTube. You can buy it at lowes, or your local hardware store for like $5

Can anyone tell me if a bed liner material will hold on to a stainless finish? I'm thinking about doing my factory step rails. I don't want to spend a lot doing this or I might as well put the $ towards some better rails but would like to get rid of the chrome finish. I guess these rails are a polished stainless steel?

This is the best pic I could find of them from when my truck was new.

Can anyone tell me if a bed liner material will hold on to a stainless finish? I'm thinking about doing my factory step rails. I don't want to spend a lot doing this or I might as well put the $ towards some better rails but would like to get rid of the chrome finish. I guess these rails are a polished stainless steel?

My shop teacher sprayed bed liner on his chrome step rails, if you don't care to mess the finish up, you can do what hella said, then it defiantly won't come off. If you don't want to do that tho (my teacher didn't) it will stay on there for a while but eventually it will come off.

Plasti-dip

Don't use the derp, one misstep and it will peel right off. IMHO derp is only good for the emblems. Pull them off, sand them and paint.

Back