My time is Up

Rock62

Well, looks like my time is up on the front drive train.

Post oil change today, I was inspecting the suspension, drivetrain and general under carriage. Found greasy schmutz on the boot next to the right front wheel. No splits that I could find, but wet greasy schmutz. Since, I'm now in a rental unit and vehicle repair is grounds for eviction.......I'll be going to a shop. My gut feeling is I've blown a seal, but I'll let the mechanics diagnose and recommend a repair with a quote. I'll see how it goes. I'm thinking to do both sides simultaneously. I mean, they both have the same history and mileage. I figure if one is failing then the other isn't far behind.

The bugger of this is I've only got the one vehicle running. The motorcycle is months from running. Right now, the bike engine is out waiting for a charging/ignition system. Meaning, I'll probably need to rent a car for a day or so.

There is 130,000 miles on the Tacoma.

At about 170k on my gen1 tundra it looked like the driver side front differential cv boot was leaking fluid when the dealer did my 10 year frame inspection per order of the tsb letter I got. They tried to sell me on new seals costing $1200 for the job. I told them they're wrong, that it's all the fluid flim I was spraying on the chassis that they're seeing. It was crickets.

Nope. No spray-on goo to prevent rust. Haven't used any of that stuff. I keep it clean and dry. So, rust is slow.

Sumtin' tells me this is gonna delay the repairs to the motorcycle ignition/charge system. Oh well, wasn't planning to ride until Spring '24. Although, I was hoping to ride a bit this fall.

At about 170k on my gen1 tundra it looked like the driver side front differential cv boot was leaking fluid when the dealer did my 10 year frame inspection per order of the tsb letter I got. They tried to sell me on new seals costing $1200 for the job. I told them they're wrong, that it's all the fluid flim I was spraying on the chassis that they're seeing. It was crickets.
A dealer tech tried to pull that here as well and had to be educated
Tell me what fluid level is low! Crack some fill plugs

Nope. No spray-on goo to prevent rust. Haven't used any of that stuff. I keep it clean and dry. So, rust is slow.

Sumtin' tells me this is gonna delay the repairs to the motorcycle ignition/charge system. Oh well, wasn't planning to ride until Spring '24. Although, I was hoping to ride a bit this fall.
The major issue with these tacoma frames is they have boxed in frame sections that always rust from the inside out. Those inside's always remain moist where rust forms you can't see. I've seen the gen1 frame replacements, and old frames at the dealer, many just end up with those areas so thin with rust, they crack in half.

There is some real,funny monkey funky business with those gen1 frames and the pissy coating
I have not ever seen anything else like it o_O

I have yet to see a gen2 with that sorta funky CRAP

There's still gen2 frame issues from what the dealer told me when I asked about them, and the parking brake system on these newer tacoma's....just not as many as with all their gen1 crap.

There's still gen2 frame issues from what the dealer told me when I asked about them, and the parking brake system on these newer tacoma's....just not as many as with all their gen1 crap.

do you have pics from the interWebs on how the protective coating just starts peeling on them Gen2

do you have pics from the interWebs on how the protective coating just starts peeling on them Gen2
No, but it's just a paint like finish over the raw steel. Soon as the welded areas on the frame start showing some rust, it spreads. It's very similar to using latex paint on your homes exterior. Once it begins cracking, it peels, and spreads. Some latex exterior paints are just better than others.

Ok......I'm curious. How did this topic about the CV boots on the front axle turn into a discussion surrounding the merits of rust prevention???? o_Oo_Oo_O

I know my reply in post #3 was about spray-on rust prevention, but that was to confirm the schmutz on the boot was not rust gook, but grease.

C'mon all. Help a fellow out. Lets steer this back to CV boots.......

CV boots?

i thot it was about a weeping front axle seal with gear oil oozing out?

pics are always helpful

recently poking around with a flashlight i might have spotted some queer foreign coloured substance amongst the lavish dirt and woolWax buildup around up front, only a couple of spots spotted so i felt upon the aged CV boot in the general area and fingers could not do the walking

Well, looks like my time is up on the front drive train.

Post oil change today, I was inspecting the suspension, drivetrain and general under carriage. Found greasy schmutz on the boot next to the right front wheel. No splits that I could find, but wet greasy schmutz. Since, I'm now in a rental unit and vehicle repair is grounds for eviction.......I'll be going to a shop. My gut feeling is I've blown a seal, but I'll let the mechanics diagnose and recommend a repair with a quote. I'll see how it goes. I'm thinking to do both sides simultaneously. I mean, they both have the same history and mileage. I figure if one is failing then the other isn't far behind.

The bugger of this is I've only got the one vehicle running. The motorcycle is months from running. Right now, the bike engine is out waiting for a charging/ignition system. Meaning, I'll probably need to rent a car for a day or so.

There is 130,000 miles on the Tacoma.
Clearly stated.

Turns out after studying some vids and the parts diagram in the Service Manual, there is no seal in this area. Grease is from the boot.

If the axle shaft, there is a seal. If bad it would be leaking the 75w90 gear oil, not grease.
Agreed. Its the boot.

I'm gonna try to get into Toyota tmrw. I drive 60+ miles round trip to work every day. Temps around here have been over the century mark. It won't take long for the joint to go dry then begin serious damage. Rather replace boots than an axle. The leaking boot is the outboard boot on the passenger side. The inboard boots are dry.

Back