My time is Up

The Tacoma is at the shop. Dropped late today. They will examine it tomorrow and call me with details. I spoke with the Service Manager at length about doing all the boots. Only if the axle is damaged, then I will want to see before I give the go ahead. He understands and wrote down notes from our conversation.

I'll see how things shake out. Right now, I'm rolling in a rented Tacoma from Budget. Not real sure if I like the 2023 model. Oh well, its not mine so I can manage a day or so.

The Tacoma is at the shop. Dropped late today. They will examine it tomorrow and call me with details. I spoke with the Service Manager at length about doing all the boots. Only if the axle is damaged, then I will want to see before I give the go ahead. He understands and wrote down notes from our conversation.

I'll see how things shake out. Right now, I'm rolling in a rented Tacoma from Budget. Not real sure if I like the 2023 model. Oh well, its not mine so I can manage a day or so.
Big issue with these gen3 rental tacomas is they all have a learning transmission if an auto, so it depends who drives it initially. They can either work well, or very wonky.

Well, I've got this rental until Friday. It has 8100 miles on it. Turns out, I do need axles. Bearings have died leading to internal damage. Parts have a 4 day lead time.

The truck also needs pads & shoes. No surprise, I've been getting intermittent brake fade. I'll be doing the pads & shoes. Sway bar links are also shot. Here again, no surprise. Last inspection, they were worn. Been having some odd body roll. I'll also be doing this work.

Mr. Murphy is having fun with my truck and mortally wounding the finances plus postponing other plans.

Reboot it as the car nut instructs... Those yota cv axles are good quality and crazy pricey more than 500$ each??
The ones on my rig are pushing almost 1/3rd million miles
If it was a small weep just started the internals are no way shot

All I can comment is I had nearly 300k miles on my gen1 tundra's axles, and they were still fine after 19 years. Its when you tear a boot, that lets in water, and other crap into those cv joints, things go downhill quick.

this surprised me
a reman'd axle is only 18$ with a 75$ core
i thot it was gonna be into the multi 100s for a new one

1691585379251.png

Remanufactured Front Axle | 2005-2015 Tacoma 4wd - Toyota (43430-04070-84)​

• Sale Price:$18.53
  • Core Charge:$75.00

Last edited:
Maybe thats the total charge if you don't return the old one. When you do, you get the core charge back.

i plugged it into their order form to check that and no the total with that core was near 185$
with no charge shipping

Well I guess every dealer is inclined to make a profit. All I can think is, this might be a smaller volume shop that doesn't get the same deal the larger volume dealers would.

Guys. New axles are needed in this situation.

I saw the axles in person. The bearings are shot and have caused other damage. Yes, its early in the mileage. The only thing that may offer a plausible reason is the following. This truck was a farm truck that spent the bulk of its life on gravel roads. Gravel dust is abrasive and penetrates everything. The remaining grease in the boots was gritty with shiny bits.

I'm not happy with the cost, but the truck is not much good without the repair. Also, the repair is much less expensive than a replacement ride. Normally, I would be able to do this work on my own. Unfortunately, my current situation doesn't allow such invasive work on a vehicle. Its grounds for eviction.

BTW, I'm not deeply impressed by this 2024 Tacoma rental. I'm sure it appeals to many. I'm just not one of the many.

CV boots?

i thot it was about a weeping front axle seal with gear oil oozing out?

pics are always helpful
Story is on these cv boots, they have grease in them....the grease breaks down, and the oil thats part of the grease composition separates, and oozes out.

Guys. New axles are needed in this situation.

I saw the axles in person. The bearings are shot and have caused other damage. Yes, its early in the mileage. The only thing that may offer a plausible reason is the following. This truck was a farm truck that spent the bulk of its life on gravel roads. Gravel dust is abrasive and penetrates everything. The remaining grease in the boots was gritty with shiny bits.

I'm not happy with the cost, but the truck is not much good without the repair. Also, the repair is much less expensive than a replacement ride. Normally, I would be able to do this work on my own. Unfortunately, my current situation doesn't allow such invasive work on a vehicle. Its grounds for eviction.

BTW, I'm not deeply impressed by this 2024 Tacoma rental. I'm sure it appeals to many. I'm just not one of the many.
2024 isn't out yet. Gotta be a 23. I can't complain about my gen3 2020, it's pretty impressive. Just was announced there's now a class action suit filed for the super white paint.

Last edited:
2024 isn't out yet. Gotta be a 23. I can't complain about my gen2 2020, it's pretty impressive. Just was announced there's now a class action suit filed for the super white paint.
Interesting. I have 2020 super white. No issues so far. Thanks for info, I will keep my ears peeled.

Back