Need help finding the right tire pressure

jjg2014

I just purchased 265/65/17 ko2 tires what is the correct tire pressure for my Tacoma but 29 PSI that the door jamb sticker has is too low and the tires feel like they are dragging I tried the 33 and feels much better but still don't know if it's the correct PSI or do I need more

Attachments

• 20171024_164010.jpg
    20171024_164010.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 48
I just purchased 265/65/17 ko2 tires what is the correct tire pressure for my Tacoma but 29 PSI that the door jamb sticker has is too low and the tires feel like they are dragging I tried the 33 and feels much better but still don't know if it's the correct PSI or do I need more
Not all trucks are alike.
Door jamb numbers good for the stock tires ONLY, change the size/sidewall plies, and poof, its not accurate. Then figure in added weight via toolboxes, any bumpers, shells, covers, sliders, skidplates, blah blah blah, and ur outta whack.

Go to 36 and try googling "chalk line tire test"... then tailor to ur driving.

Ive heard about ppl calling bfg and getting reccomendations, but thats rediculous imo. In the end, its just that.... a reccomendation that YOU need to fiddle with anyhow.

Most people have NO CLUE what their trucks even weigh, so having a tire manufacturer throw out a number seems bonkers to me.

You could look on sidewall, pretty sure D.O.T. requires that info on tire by law...

Chalk test.

Also you didn’t go much larger than stock so use stock pressure.
For those who don’t know what that is:
Chalk test

1. Fill the tires to a good starting pressure. If you are unsure what pressure to start with then subtract 10 percent from the manufacturer's maximum inflation pressure on the side of the tire. If, for example, the maximum is 40 psi, then 10 percent of 40 is 4. Subtract the 10 percent value from the maximum psi value. So, 40 - 4 = 36. Use 36 psi in your tires. You could also use the following calculation for the starting pressure.
    • Weight of vehicle / (Manufacturers weight rating x 4)) x Manufacturers inflation pressure at weight rating
  2. Drive to a flat area. This can be your driveway or the street in front of your house. Just make sure there aren't a lot of cracks, bumps or pot holes in the ground.
  3. Using chalk, draw a thick, straight line across the width of the tire.
  4. Use Test Variance 1 or Test Variance 2 for the completion of the instructions.

Test Variance 1
  1. Drive the truck forward at least one-full truck length.
  2. Inspect the chalk on the ground. A tire with the proper air pressure should press the chalk line evenly across the ground. This means you'll see the entire chalk line imprinted on the ground. If your tire is over-inflated, you'll only see a small portion of line in the center. If you're tire is underinflated, you'll see only the sides of the lines since the middle of the tire is not making contact with the ground.
  3. Adjust your tire's air pressure according to the chalk test results and try again until you get the chalk line to press evenly across the ground.

Test Variance 2
  1. Drive the truck to the end of the street and back or around the block.
  2. Inspect the chalk on the tire. A tire with the proper air pressure will show the chalk evenly worn across the tire. If your tire is over-inflated, the center of the line will be worn more than the edges. If you're tire is underinflated, the outer edges of the line will be worn more than the center.
  3. Adjust your tire's air pressure according to the chalk test results and try again until you get the chalk line to evenly wear across the tire.

Over-Inflated = More wear on the center of the tire = center of chalk line visible on ground = chalk line worn more in center

Under-Inflated = More wear on the outer edges of the tire = outer edges of chalk line visible on ground = chalk line worn more on outer edges

Back