needing a new MT clutch procedure

Engine braking is overrated for these smaller v6 engines. I have 6 S modes for my taco's auto which has the lockup converter that acts similar to a manual when using those modes. It helps some when hauling a 1500 lb trailer, but not like the v8 my tundra had.

that does me no good in figuring out and understanding exactly what is going on down under there when left in gear and no throttle to slow it and or maintain constant speed somewhat on the mountainous grades

does the flywheel keep moving?
does the input shaft keep moving?

i don't know any of these deets yet!

May I offer a simplified explanation.....

When you lift off the throttle, the forces in the drivetrain reverse. In other words, the engine was the power supply, now the inertia of the truck is driving the wheels. All power for rotation is from the wheels into the drivetrain. Yes, everything keeps spinning, but things are slowing down. The engine is absorbing the energy. As you lift off the throttle, the fuel supply to the engine is reduced.

Do you remember the old friction drive toy cars. The ones that you would rev up by stroking them on the floor, then let go........ Same principle.

so the prop shaft starts going the other direction?

absorbing energy from the transmission that is still rotating in whatever gear it is in currently?

Why would the prop shaft change direction if you're still driving forward? I was a whizz in physics, but this is all new to me. I guess it might if you slam the gear shifter in reverse, allowing your trucks drivetrain blowup as a bonus.

i am not under vehicle whilst in motion observing how things are rotating

if i were to put it into neutral as opposed to leaving it in whatever gear then nothing would be absorbing energy other than the tires and wheels on the ground?

i used to (for the longest time) disengage the clutch pedal down keep it down and use the brakes to come to stopping off the freeway exit
but i changed that habit a few years ago

so the prop shaft starts going the other direction?

absorbing energy from the transmission that is still rotating in whatever gear it is in currently?
NO. The rotational forces reverse direction. That is what is slowing everything.

Sometimes you gotta think a little.

if i were to put it into neutral as opposed to leaving it in whatever gear then nothing would be absorbing energy other than the tires and wheels on the ground?

i used to (for the longest time) disengage the clutch pedal down keep it down and use the brakes to come to stopping off the freeway exit
but i changed that habit a few years ago

Not completely correct. The friction in the drivetrain, ie, axle, diffs, bearings, trans will be providing the friction.

Back