Not a fan of Toyota right now!

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Brandon Hughes, Feb 8, 2018.

1. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Tax return!

Bogunn likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

I just feel bad for you guys really, sucks that after spending all that $$$$ on a new truck, it requires you to spend additional out of pocket $$$ just to make it shift right (well, better anyway)...

kp.taco likes this.
  4. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

And Toyota could have avoided all the pissed off customers by keeping the 4.0 and auto tranny. I understand Toyota's point to attempt better fuel economy though..

4wd and Bogunn like this.
  5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

My truck doesn’t have time to down shift I hit the gas and eat the MPG. Plenty of power if you're not a tree hugger. :cool: Speeding white taco!
    Wait...
    I baby my taco and it shifts continuously because I love the EPA. :p

Crawdad, Bogunn and kp.taco like this.
  6. kp.taco

I really wanna drive one and see what all the fuss is about. It can't be all that bad.. But I'm not real picky either..

Cape taco, Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  7. OR17TRD

I’d let you drive mine.

kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  8. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

I def. agree with you on the first statement, the 2nd one, ya know KP it's getting to the point where I don't understand anything Toyota's doing...

kp.taco likes this.
  9. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Wait till you test drive your ‘19 Pro Snorkel Edition.

OR17TRD and kp.taco like this.
  10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I really don’t see as much of an issue right now honestly. Maybe getting used to it and maybe the ECM “learning” my driving style.
    I can say it seems worse if you baby it. Sometimes it’s good to get your foot in the gas a little.

11. OR17TRD

+1

inferno75 and Bogunn like this.
  12. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

I did notice the hunting of gears in my 16 drives me Batshit crazy so I've been driving in the shift it yourself mode much more fun and still getting 19 mpg ! Mostly cruise on the road in 5th haven't been using 6 th it lays rpms down so low . it seems like torque converter goes in and out of lockup but I down shift it and its alot less annoying try it .and 3rd gear has a nice raspy growl when you wind it up lol !

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Brandon Hughes and Bogunn like this.
  13. OkieCowboy

OkieCowboy Member

Installed the ShiftSense Pro V2 Monday evening. I do like the shift pattern much better and I have it set in 1. The transmission still downshifts on the interstate while climbing the slightest grade and/or going into a breeze. I don’t mind the 6-5 shift but the 5-4 puts me over at 72 mph. I understand they can’t correct this. I do like the difference in the throttle response. Overall I am very pleased with the ShiftSense Pro and would highly recommend. I also commend the developer for providing a tool that addresses the shifting issues of this transmission. To use better language I will simply say shame on you Toyota for not listening to and taking care of the consumer.

Bogunn and Cape taco like this.
  14. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

Does it make the shifts crisper ? I hate the lazy shifts it feels like the tranny is slipping , my 35 ford has a turbo 400 with shift kit and i love the chirp and snap of 2nd gear and hit your head against the back window arr arr arr ! lmfao. ! ! !:D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Bogunn likes this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Good to know. It really is a pretty inexpensive solution. But I definitely agree Toyota should have done the same thing and put driver preference over a small amount of mpg gain.

Cape taco likes this.
  16. OkieCowboy

OkieCowboy Member

The shifts feel much crisper, solid, and the rpm will steadily climb to the next shift point. The throttle response feels almost like I am back in my Ram. The Taco responds to throttle input.

The shift points are minimum speeds. The more throttle input, the longer the gear will hold. IMG_0054.jpg

Bogunn and Cape taco like this.
  17. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I keep mine in 4th on the street so the engine is in its power band.

Only shift points. It doesn't nothing about shift quality.

4wd and Bogunn like this.
  18. Bonfire

Bonfire New Member

Try a ford focus, if you want see a bad transmission.....LOL
    It's not just a Toyota issue.

kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  19. kp.taco

This is very true

OR17TRD likes this.
  20. OR17TRD