noticeable increase in fuel consumption, losing 50 tacoMiles per tank of tacoJuice... what is going on?

I'd be more stumped why this loss of fuel economy happened practically overnight. Generally it's a gradual thing when you mention spark plugs, or air cleaner. What caused it to change that quick? Did you have any work done on your brakes?

there was a fiasco at the BrakesPlus place back in October that still disgruntles this tacoDude
had the yota dealer put on new pads when they found the wheel bearing seriously roached
that fixed the wonky braking issues

fuel trims?
what is the process for checking those
are specialty tools needed?

PCV valve to the best of my knowledge is original on this engine
27 years and 344k miles

i recently bot a new valve, grommet AND a genuine hose for the next VCG task to be done
might have to change the PCV before then, hope it removes ok in that grommet

Could be fuel injectors if never replaced, or the o2 sensors. It can be a combination of several things already mentioned by Rock. You're dealing with a tired truck thats become nothing, but a money pit.

the 02 sensors and the cat were the only thing i can think of at the moment that was disturbed before went into shop and left shop after 12 weeks in the shop

Could be fuel injectors if never replaced, or the o2 sensors. It can be a combination of several things already mentioned by Rock. You're dealing with a tired truck thats become nothing, but a money pit.

fuel trims?
what is the process for checking those
are specialty tools needed?

i am looking at how that is done from some Timmy Toolman Toyota time
might've been cleaned once long ago when that mouse got into the cleaner box but don't recall at this very moment

did recently check into a brand new maf as part of the 'just throw a new part at it' plan
it is MORE THAN 1100$ MSRP :(

Well, you can always load the parts cannon and lob multiple volleys at the problem.

Frankly, I agree with tacojoel. It is likely an overlooked long developing maintenance issue.

A side note, just because you can see sunlight thru an air filter does not mean it isn't dirty or clogged. Air filters are relatively cheap and really easy to replace, even for the mechanically challenged. Same with the PCV, its cheap and simple to replace.

Pcv may not be simple to replace on this engine
It is slightly buried and no telling how hard the grommet is after 5 years since I 'think' grommet was replaced
Countless gen1 tales of this breaking and then grommet goes under the valve cover in pieces

It is probably the upstream 02 sensor that was tinkered with the very first time but has no CEL lit up yet
That i learnt tells the ecm to throw more fuel into the mix

Pcv valve won't cause a loss in fuel economy...it could cause oil leaks, and sludge over a long period of time, if it clogs up.

i think that parts cannon FINALLY fixed the rideability issues that have persisted for many years now
there are some seriously roached bridge decks in the sarpy county here on route 75 that i wheeled upon recently and the difference of not sensing the bang bang bang and just a smooth bump bump + maintaining stability was quite a refreshing experience that made me less saddened and a bit more chipper wheelin' like a boss over the crap roads that the roads dept. will not ever fix proper because 5+ years now of this horror

the parts cannon technique for this fuel consumption issue was previously mentioned in post #33

just informing all that it did actually appear to succeed in one instance

dump some ChevRon fuel cleaner in there tank there
then fillUp with 10 gallons of V-Power Nitro+ ... 2 fillUps of the premium gets ya 20c off fuel saver reWards this month
see if a difference is had or not had
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Back