Oil Filter

TacoJoe11

I just purchased a bosch oil filter from autozone. They had a sale if I bought mobil 1 and a bosch filter. Anybody else running this same filter? It's a lot shorter than the stock filter, should I not use it or is this common with aftermarket filters to run different sizes for the same engine?

I've seen them run larger than the oem, not so much on going smaller. I personally wouldn't like that myself but it's probably fine. Might just take a little less oil?

With that said I'm sticking with the Toyota filters after seeing the thread on TW comparing several to the OEM. I used to just use Fram. Not any more. :no:
The oem is made so much better on the inside than some of the aftermarkets. Not sure about Bosch though? Can't remember which ones he tested but only that I would stick with Toyota for my truck and for the $.

I have noticed that the recommended aftermarket filters from parts stores are usually smaller. I never had issues with them but I run OEM filters now.

Last edited:
Thanks, I checked out a similar online comparison with a complete breakdown of many name brand filters and the toyota filter. Pretty much the same thing, the toyota filter seemed to be the better quality. I also used to use Fram all the time with my past vehicles, but now I'm going to make a switch. Im just going to run this one until I change it again, then I'll switch back to the toyota filter.

I decided to not run with an oil filter...it was creating too much drag. :whistling2:

I always use the Toyota oil filters. I was told at a dealership a long time ago (this could be BS but it convinved me) that after market oil filter's bypass valves would open up under much lower pressures than the what the Toyota's engines ran at. Hence, no filtration.
Also, the Toyota's oil filters are designed to retain the oil to allow the oil to be instantly available upon start up. At least they are not very expensive.

Wix bosch mobile 1 and of course o.e.m filters are fine and of go od quality and specification but of course of the years of automotive experience I've watched a Honda Accord go 350,000 miles on a conventional oil and a cheap filter change do too frequent oil changes I told the guy when he bought it the cheapest insurance he had is oil change and filter

Wix bosch mobile 1 and of course o.e.m filters are fine and of go od quality and specification but of course of the years of automotive experience I've watched a Honda Accord go 350,000 miles on a conventional oil and a cheap filter change do too frequent oil changes I told the guy when he bought it the cheapest insurance he had is oil change and filter

I put 300,000 miles on my Hy-lux using good oil and cheap filters, but I also changed it every 3000 miles religiously. I am going to check the price for OEM filters when my next one comes up.

At my dealer it's buy 3 get 1 free which makes them around $5 each.

What I found online at my dealer:
90915YZZD3 - Oil filter 4.0 LITER
MSRP Core Online Price
$5.41 $0.00 $5.41

I'll have to talk with Chris and see what kind of discount he'll give me. He's my go to guy for Parts and usually gives me a 20% discount.

I saw on eboy where you can get 10 for $35. I'm thinking about it cause I have two brand new 4.0 V6's sitting in my drive.

Back