Question about buying a tacoma

Pirate

Hello! I am a new member and I just felt like creating a profile to get some info that would be well appreciated. I am in Florida and I am looking in the market for my first Tacoma! I have about 10k to spend on a tacoma and I was wondering what would be your decision. I would like as low miles as possible and preferably a double cab. Any input will be helpful, thank you!

With your budget you won't be able to find much or anything double cab with low miles. 2nd gens are definitely out of the question. The problem with buying used is that these trucks hold their value.

I know I wasn't even looking at 2nd gens. Should I save up another 5k for a total of 15k spending money? If I have 15k what would you recommend? Ext cab? With or without a trd package and/or a 4x4 package?

With 15k you could get a pretty nice 1st gen double cab 4x4. With 10k you could get a extended cab 4 cylinder with 4x4.

Why not consider putting 10 or 15 down and finance the other 15 or 20 grand and get something new and real nice?

4wd depends on if you need it and will use it. The TRD is nice because of the locker but that depends on what you find. Remember that if it comes down between a TRD 2wd and a base 4wd the 4wd will go further than a locked 2wd.

Last edited:
Well I can't finance. I am only 18 years old and have been saving up for a long time. I just turned 18 so I'm going to start looking for a better paying job. I don't mind saving up another 5k. But I don't wanna save up another 10k I want a taco sooner than later! Haha. Is it possible to get a 1st gen double cab with 4WD and a trd package for 15k?

If you have a vehicle now and it works fine I would wait until you get a better job. Don't burn all your savings just buying a car. I was 18, 11 years ago once so I know how it is.

I do have more money. This is just side money that I've saved up specifically for a better vehicle. My parents bought me my first car and I've sold and bought cars and made a profit. I know not to spend all my money on a taco.. Trust me, I want money for some mods! :)

4x4 would be preferred. I plan on this summer for a senior graduation gift to myself is to take a road trip with my two best buds to Canada ( aunt and uncle have a cabin ) and on the way up explore some areas and on the way back down to Florida.

I've always thought extended cab 4 cylinder 4x4s were cool. Great milage and still capable off road. But they don't have that much power or room for passengers. Either way you go you will be happy. Tacomas are some sweet machines

I do believe I would need a v6 for towing a boat here in florida. We just moved off the water and I'm the one that uses the boat the most! So I'm gonna be hulling that thing in and out of the boat ramps! Problem is here it's hard to find good 4x4s that are 1st gen. People here don't have them for they are usually 180k miles plus or a brand new 2013 ( assuming they got a truck and realized they hated driving a truck ).

Your best bet would prob be to use your scratch as a down payment on a new one. Then just keep it for a while. Thats what im gonna do(i got my '13 DC in april). Theyre pretty much bulletproof if properly maintained.

I do believe I would need a v6 for towing a boat here in florida. We just moved off the water and I'm the one that uses the boat the most! So I'm gonna be hulling that thing in and out of the boat ramps! Problem is here it's hard to find good 4x4s that are 1st gen. People here don't have them for they are usually 180k miles plus or a brand new 2013 ( assuming they got a truck and realized they hated driving a truck ).

Hi Rambo, I would recommend saving your money and continue looking around for exactly what you want. If you jump on something that you really don't want just to have a ride, you will be sorry.

I could have easily bought a new Tacoma but I personally don't like the look and size of them. I like the 1st generation Tacoma.

So I took my time and just kept looking till I found a 2001 Tacoma Limited, Black, auto, with all the extras. It has 87,000 miles and the "FRAME" is in good condition, a very important thing I might add!
With some haggling on price I paid $12,000.00 plus another $1,000.00 for tax/registration/tags, (I'm in Maryland).
Just keep saving and looking, you'll find exactly what you want.

Good Luck.:thumbsup:

There's a nice four door 2003 pre runner for sale at the ford dealership here. They are asking 13k. It has 97k miles. Would it be an okay idea to think about buying this vehicle and after I have saved up quite a bit to resell and with the money acquired from the sale and the money I saved buy a a truck with all the additions?

There's a nice four door 2003 pre runner for sale at the ford dealership here. They are asking 13k. It has 97k miles. Would it be an okay idea to think about buying this vehicle and after I have saved up quite a bit to resell and with the money acquired from the sale and the money I saved buy a a truck with all the additions?

I guess I'm a little confused but exactly how much do you have to spend ??

15k would be enough to get a dbl cab 1st gen 4x TRD with decent mileage from what I've seen, like mentioned keep looking & be ready financially to pull the trigger when 1 shows up (& it will) they don't last long when they do show up..

How big of a boat do you haul around? A 2wd V6 or Prerunner is more than capable to tow a boat up and down a ramp and around town. With a great seat of tires you can go a long way. I know you desire a 4x4, but you might find a 2wd in better shape.
I agree with Changeling, do a lot of research and keep asking us questions. You should get exactly what you want, when dishing out that much cash you don't want to regret it in the end.

Back