Sputtering at 50-60 mph

I feel like (and sure hope) it is something simple.
It probably is. You can have this tsb done, but imo, it's not a slam dunk. Hopefully this tsb will at least make for a more drivable truck. There are many of these trucks out there with those same issues, even after the latest tsb. I've questioned it in the past with a toyota service tech I know in nh, I've snowmobiled with. He's told me some of these gen3 trucks just run better than others, similar to 10 identical snowmobiles, where 1 just outperforms the rest of them. It's the luck of the draw, just the way it is with mass manufactured vehicles.

OK, so I talked to the service manager at my dealership about this issue. He said I am not the only one he has heard this from. After talking we concluded that the transmission had learned the way I was driving it in the beginning basically babying it. I followed the manufacturers recommendations on breaking the truck in, not the way I typically drive. He said he would like to try resetting the learn values on the transmission and see what it does and then get feed back from me at next service (5000 miles). So far, and I know it hasn't learned my driving habits yet, but it is much better already. The quick shifting from take off that makes it down shift after 3rd or 4th seems to be better (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 6th). The stuttering, which was really my main issue, is not as bad either. Still seems to be there, but not as often and not as noticeable. Hoping for more improvements as I get more miles in on it. Will update later.

I feel like (and sure hope) it is something simple.
Did you ever solve your issue yet? Worse thing you can do is baby these trucks during the learning stage. They use synthetic oil which will cause the rings a long period to seat, or maybe never if babied. You need to put the heel to the steel once in awhile to build cylinder pressure...this seats the rings sooner like they should be.
2nd, the service manager instructed me to never use the ECT, or S modes during the transmissions learning process. Just keep it in D till the truck breaks in. Mine took about 1500 miles from .6 on the odo when I picked it up new. The truck today always puts a smile every time I drive it.

Last edited:
Automated trannie issues. No thanks
My trucks aged original MT (now over 1/3rd million miles) is sorta doing this similar in 5th that I don't recall it doing in the past, especially going up the hills
Perhaps the upcoming pending new clutch parts overHaul will nip it back to good

My trucks aged original MT (now over 1/3rd million miles) is sorta doing this similar in 5th that I don't recall it doing in the past, especially going up the hills
Perhaps the upcoming pending new clutch parts overHaul will nip it back to good
Yeah, hopefully before the engine says no mas.

What did i do now
To the engine??
My mechanical aptitude is not the bestest :confused:

Not really, it's just an ice imo. They're all pretty much worn out once you exceed 300k miles. After that your on borrowed time like most if not all toyota engines produced.

I think there are numerous reports of these out there well cared for not beaton that have tonnish of more miles on em
One has well over 700k as well
Look into it
The only concern I was told to have is a head gasket in 400ks possibly

I think there are numerous reports of these out there well cared for not beaton that have tonnish of more miles on em
One has well over 700k as well
Look into it
The only concern I was told to have is a head gasket in 400ks possibly
Maybe, but yours isn't the case from what we've been told. You haven't done a whole lot on your truck except procrastinate about issues it's been having.

Did you ever solve your issue yet? Worse thing you can do is baby these trucks during the learning stage. They use synthetic oil which will cause the rings a long period to seat, or maybe never if babied. You need to put the heel to the steel once in awhile to build cylinder pressure...this seats the rings sooner like they should be.
2nd, the service manager instructed me to never use the ECT, or S modes during the transmissions learning process. Just keep it in D till the truck breaks in. Mine took about 1500 miles from .6 on the odo when I picked it up new. The truck today always puts a smile every time I drive it.
Just had the transmission learn values reset to factory a couple of days ago. So far, better. Hoping it gets even better and I’m not babying it at all now.

Yes, exactly
A friends 2019 trd does the same. He never found the reason, other that the dealer telling him its normal for those trucks. He's now into a new frontier where he claims it runs way better than that tacoma he had.
I've been asking a friend that owns a large auto repair shop about these issues if he's heard any complaints. From what I gather, some of these truck run exceptional, some have all the same complaints, and some border on flat out lemons, so you gotta figure what category your in.

A friends 2019 trd does the same. He never found the reason, other that the dealer telling him its normal for those trucks. He's now into a new frontier where he claims it runs way better than that tacoma he had.
I've been asking a friend that owns a large auto repair shop about these issues if he's heard any complaints. From what I gather, some of these truck run exceptional, some have all the same complaints, and some border on flat out lemons, so you gotta figure what category your in.
So far I was in the “get rid of the truck” category. I am now in the “starting to like the truck, but still not the best Toyota I’ve ever owned, hoping it gets better” category.

so what was your best?

So far I was in the “get rid of the truck” category. I am now in the “starting to like the truck, but still not the best Toyota I’ve ever owned, hoping it gets better” category.

Back