Sputtering at 50-60 mph

I rode in a buddies gen3 trd or when he had it. It rode roughly the same as my 2020 sr5, but the performance was pretty far off vs my truck. We even did roll ons, and drag races between the two at the old abandoned dam road here. My truck would just pull away every time, and keep pulling. His truck wouldn't even squeal the tires, where my truck would light them up when we took off. Only big difference his taco was a double cab while I have an access cab.

i have been noticing this 'sputtering' on a Gen2 AT 4cyl with the 4speed... (gear 3 + D) that i have been wheelin' quite a bit in for the past 7 weeks whilst the '97 5speed MT is in the shop getting some TLC
this AT for the most part is only happening on the freeway at 70 to 75mph and trying to maintain that speed on the hillies
it just drags along losing speed
feather the throttle a bitty bit and NOTHING just keeps slowing down
i am not accustomed to wheelin' an autoMatic transmission so have not a clue if this is normal operation

if i MANually shift it to gear 3 from D at 70mph i can get that back up to 80+ MPH with the engine roaring near 4k RPM to catch up with traffic that is leaving me in the dust :confused:

The entire electronic control systems "learns". Perhaps just resetting it to relearn might make the difference. It's pretty easy, google is your friend.

sounds like AI garbage!

is this the same control that is in the Gen2 (2o11) AT with 4speed

You answered your own question. Applying fuel slowly enough to avoid down shifting. It's supposed to down shift to avoid this. And, it's very had on the engine. Oh, and you won't save any fuel, in fact you'll prbably use more.

i have been noticing this 'sputtering' on a Gen2 AT 4cyl with the 4speed... (gear 3 + D) that i have been wheelin' quite a bit in for the past 7 weeks whilst the '97 5speed MT is in the shop getting some TLC
this AT for the most part is only happening on the freeway at 70 to 75mph and trying to maintain that speed on the hillies
it just drags along losing speed
feather the throttle a bitty bit and NOTHING just keeps slowing down
i am not accustomed to wheelin' an autoMatic transmission so have not a clue if this is normal operation

if i MANually shift it to gear 3 from D at 70mph i can get that back up to 80+ MPH with the engine roaring near 4k RPM to catch up with traffic that is leaving me in the dust :confused:
Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? Might be a good idea to curtail all this wheeling, and find what the issue is. Those 4 bangers aren't exactly known for being a hot rod.....they're more known as a service truck, or grocery getter.

Last edited:
Has the f

Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? Might be a good idea to curtail all this wheeling, and find what the issue is. Those 4 bangers aren't exactly known for being a hot rod.....they're more known as a service truck, or grocery getter.

the gen2 fuel filter i have heard is in the dang tank!!?

Funny new replies are on here because I was just about to post an update. Toyota has contacted me about the issue and wants me to bring it to the dealer for further inspection. I did just read on another Tacoma Forum (one who's name I should not mention on here:D) a guy said he bought his 2023 brand new last year and was having the same issues. His dealer finally checked the transmission fluid levels and it was a quart low. I am going to suggest to my dealer, again, and maybe they will check it this time.

Has the f

well then F Toyota for NOT putting that beefy V6 into the hottie single regular cab
gotta keep up with that i80 racket to stinkin' lincoln newBraska

the gen2 fuel filter i have heard is in the dang tank!!?
That would be stupid if thats the only fuel filter in the line. Not familiar with older gen taco's.
As far as that issue in the gen3 v6 auto transmission, they are much different internally having a lockup converter that causes that sputtering, or slight bucking feeling at very low rpm similar as a manual would if in 3 gear at a creeping speed lugging the engine. Seems most, or all double cab v6 gen 3 tacos will do it as they're on the heavier side. I haven't noticed it in my access cab. That auto is buttery smooth, same as I've talked with others that have gen3 access cabs.
As for the 4 cylinder 2.7 in a gen3....don't know what toyota was thinking, other than making it a price point. With the auto, those trucks are way underpowered, lucky to get the same fuel mileage as the v6.

Last edited:
That would be stupid if thats the only fuel filter in the line. Not familiar with older gen taco's.
As far as that issue in the gen3 v6 auto transmission, they are much different internally having a lockup converter that causes that sputtering, or slight bucking feeling at very low rpm similar as a manual would if in 3 gear at a creeping speed lugging the engine. Seems most, or all double cab v6 gens 3 tacos will do it as they're on the heavier side. I haven't noticed it in my access cab. That auto is buttery smooth, same as I've talked with other that have gen3 access cabs.
As for the 4 cylinder 2.7 in a gen3....don't know what toyota was thinking, other than making it a price point. With the auto, those trucks are way underpowered, lucky to get the same fuel mileage as the v6.
I have wanted a Tacoma for many years but just never was the right time. Finally have this one and I am not too sure that I would've bought it at this point if I knew it was gonna drive like this. I like everything else about it, but all of my other Toyotas have driven sooo much better. I am really hoping they can figure something out or at least if they verify the fluid levels are ok maybe at least I will feel as if its normal. I wish I knew of someone with the same year and model that I could test drive to see if it drives the same. Your description of how it feels "sputtering, or light bucking...similar as a manual would if in 3 gear" is exactly the feeling. As if you are driving a manual in too high of a gear and refusing to down shift.

Fuel filter for the gen2 2.7 taco is located under the engines intake manifold...not the easiest to get to. Requires you to move some things first. Its a standard toyota black metal type filter.

As far as that issue in the gen3 v6 auto transmission, they are much different internally having a lockup converter that causes that sputtering, or slight bucking feeling at very low rpm similar as a manual would if in 3 gear at a creeping speed lugging the engine. Seems most, or all double cab v6 gen 3 tacos will do it as they're on the heavier side. I haven't noticed it in my access cab. That auto is buttery smooth, same as I've talked with others that have gen3 access cabs.
Also interesting you should mention the double cab. Maybe that could be the difference why some do not have this experience.

I have wanted a Tacoma for many years but just never was the right time. Finally have this one and I am not too sure that I would've bought it at this point if I knew it was gonna drive like this. I like everything else about it, but all of my other Toyotas have driven sooo much better. I am really hoping they can figure something out or at least if they verify the fluid levels are ok maybe at least I will feel as if its normal. I wish I knew of someone with the same year and model that I could test drive to see if it drives the same. Your description of how it feels "sputtering, or light bucking...similar as a manual would if in 3 gear" is exactly the feeling. As if you are driving a manual in too high of a gear and refusing to down shift.
Thats normal for a gen3 double cab if thats what you have. Also depends on the trucks latest tsb that updates the transmission, and engine performance. When I bought my truck the dealer already did it. I couldn't be happier with how the truck runs. It feels exactly like my v8 4.7 in my tundra, except the tranny works even smoother.
Seems a lot of owners have these problems, and nearly all are with double cab trims.

Fuel filter for the gen2 2.7 taco is located under the engines intake manifold...not the easiest to get to. Requires you to move some things first. Its a standard toyota black metal type filter.

ok thanks
i will investigate that
somebody at a shop told me once IIRC that it was in the fuel tank

i would search out a near-exact taco that is up for sale on the used lot and test drive it

ok thanks
i will investigate that
somebody at a shop told me once IIRC that it was in the fuel tank
Very possible there is a fuel filter screen also on the pickup in the fuel tank. Its just that all toyota trucks I've owned for 50 some years always had an external fuel filter located somewhere in the chassis.

At the time I was taco shopping, I drove a 2.7 auto access cab gen3. I told myself I had to be crazy if buying one of these trucks. They're just too big, and heavy for that poor 4 cylinder. I wish the dealer here had a v6 to try, but they were all sold out at the time. At any rate no local dealer could locate what I was shopping for. One even recommended a regional dealer. My brothers wife gets all her cars in boston, and recommended I try them. The rest is history.

Back