Sputtering at 50-60 mph

I’m leaning more towards the Mexico plant being the problem like, I think, you suggested before.
Idk about that theory either, as toyota is suppose to have strict qc at all their plants, no matter what country. I don't even know if having to find/ allocate, or order a specific tacoma has a better chance of being better assembled when I went through that process having mine built in texas. I prefer u.s. made when it comes to big ticket items.
Unfortunately all tacoma's are now assembled south of the border at both their plants, so one can no longer compare u.s. quality with ones from mexico.

Last edited:
They checked the ATF level and it was fine. They even drained it and replaced it (supposedly). What Tacoma do you have and where was it Made? Mine is 23 TRD OR / double cab / short bed / made in Mexico.
23 TRD 4x4 Sport double cab made in Mexico. Love the truck, hate this issue! I don’t know if I’ll keep it if I can’t find a fix.

What's with those non-functional hood scoops? Are they suppose to go together with a non-functional taco?

i used option 7
because the parts website portal is down for days
need to check on orders and order parts
was on the phone for 45 minutes with zero resolution from their cyberTech team
I would think you would have a special hot line to toyota by now....

after more than 90 minutes on the phone over a 4-day span i am back in the business of checking the parts orders and ordering new genuine parts at the major nicety discounts

had to change username and password AGAIN

now i need to open a new case to see where the heck this 4 month backOrder on them boot kits ordered in October are at :confused:

Holy crap! first time I actually saw this happen in a 3rd gen. My sr5 taco is buttery smooth right off idle on up....at least so far. Just turned 20k miles. I would have never thought it would be as bad as in this video from what others are complaining about.

Last edited:
Only issue if you're still in the transmission's learning stage, your transmission doesn't learn anything.....garbage in, garbage out.

It’s been 1000 miles. How many do I need to drive
According to the service manager where I got my truck, your never suppose to use anything, but the D more when driving the truck till the transmission learns your driving habits, and road conditions. Using the the other modes confuses it, that it never learns properly. They recommended the S modes later on when towing, or needing engine braking when going down steep grades once all the learning data has been stored in the trucks ecu's.

These tranny's store data as road conditions change...an example of going up a slight grade to a longer steeper one needing to downshift a couple times. I've gone on the same road multiple times...the first time my trucks auto couldn't figure when to downshift, and hold it in that gear as it got steeper...transmission started hunting. 2nd time over the same road the downshifting improved. Now it's perfect. I don't even need to push the go petal down further to make it downshift. These autos sense the torque needed, and make the change sooner than you could. I really like the way these gen3's operate.

Back