Sputtering at 50-60 mph

I just got back from doing an errand at my shop. While there I was talking to a guy with a red gen3 taco that asked me how I like my truck. Told him it's awesome, first taco I've owned with nothing to whine about. Thats when he said it sure isn't like his 2021 trd, saying it drives like crap vs the gen2 he had. He says the transmission this truck has is possessed. I couldn't keep a straight face trying figure out what he meant. I guess it's the same issue you guys are saying. His truck was also assembled in mexico, so I'm starting to wonder if they have an issue at that plant, or dealers aren't doing a good job prepping them?

I just got back from doing an errand at my shop. While there I was talking to a guy with a red gen3 taco that asked me how I like my truck. Told him it's awesome, first taco I've owned with nothing to whine about. Thats when he said it sure isn't like his 2021 trd, saying it drives like crap vs the gen2 he had. He says the transmission this truck has is possessed. I couldn't keep a straight face trying figure out what he meant. I guess it's the same issue you guys are saying. His truck was also assembled in mexico, so I'm starting to wonder if they have an issue at that plant, or dealers aren't doing a good job prepping them?
Possessed is probably the perfect term for it.

If you lived close I’d let you drive it.

I was just doing some online search's for the 2023 taco 3.5 auto for known issues, and came across what motorbiscuit had to say evaluating the truck. They gave the 2023 a rather low rating opposed to what's been reported in the past....mainly engine reliability, putting it at the bottom for mid size trucks.

Last edited:
I was just doing some online search's for the 2023 taco 3.5 auto for known issues, and came across what motorbiscuit had to say evaluating the truck. They gave the 2023 a rather low rating opposed to what's been reported in the past....mainly engine reliability, putting it at the bottom for mid size trucks.
Thanks for the even better news lol

Let me know if that was successful. Thanks!
So no, still seems to be driving the same. Toyota did call me on my way home and the guy I’ve been working with there said to give him a few days, he has field tech he wants to contact about it. He wasn’t satisfied with what the dealer told me.

My tacoma drove the same when I first picked it up new at the dealer with less than a mile on the odo. It took around 1200 miles before the transmission began working like any other truck owned. It even gets better from there. Even the engine seemed to make more power like the trucks ecu had a break-in chip limiting the engines output, till I got enough time on it.

Last edited:
My tacoma drove the same when I first picked it up new at the dealer with less than a mile on the odo. I took around 1200 miles before the transmission began working like any other truck owned. It even gets better from there. Even the engine seemed to make more power like the trucks ecu had a break-in chip limiting the engines output, till I got enough time on it.my truck drove better when if first got it and started this whole shifting thing around 7000 miles.
My tacoma drove better when I first got it. It started feeling bad around 7000 miles or so. But yes, I do know it needs more time now to adjust since it was reset. We shall see. More miles closer to no warranty:confused:

So no, still seems to be driving the same. Toyota did call me on my way home and the guy I’ve been working with there said to give him a few days, he has field tech he wants to contact about it. He wasn’t satisfied with what the dealer told me.
There’s a lot cases of people having the same shutter problem as you and me, just weird (or suspicious) that the dealers and Toyota don’t know about it. I’m thinking it’s a low rpm/torque converter issue. The short term fix for me is to, shift to sport S5 when I take off. The truck will run up and down through all the gears but keeps it out of 6th gear in that 50-60 mph range. I only move to 6th gear when I hit 65 & above. I’ve read about a few options people have tried and had success. The one that makes the most sense is adding transmission fluid to see if it was low from the factory (I hate that Toyota didn’t put a dipstick on!!) Not as easy to do as it sounds. People are having issues with stripping the allen head over flow bolt. Going to order a hex drain plug bolt to replace it with. When I try this, I’ll come back to this post and let you know how it worked.

My tacoma drove better when I first got it. It started feeling bad around 7000 miles or so. But yes, I do know it needs more time now to adjust since it was reset. We shall see. More miles closer to no warranty:confused:
Thats strange, if it performed better for the beginning, and got worse. Kind of indicates it's a whole other issue, than a normal break-in process these trucks go through before they do drive better. You don't hear any unusual noises? At any rate, keep us posted how you make out.

There’s a lot cases of people having the same shutter problem as you and me, just weird (or suspicious) that the dealers and Toyota don’t know about it. I’m thinking it’s a low rpm/torque converter issue. The short term fix for me is to, shift to sport S5 when I take off. The truck will run up and down through all the gears but keeps it out of 6th gear in that 50-60 mph range. I only move to 6th gear when I hit 65 & above. I’ve read about a few options people have tried and had success. The one that makes the most sense is adding transmission fluid to see if it was low from the factory (I hate that Toyota didn’t put a dipstick on!!) Not as easy to do as it sounds. People are having issues with stripping the allen head over flow bolt. Going to order a hex drain plug bolt to replace it with. When I try this, I’ll come back to this post and let you know how it worked.
Easy to tell a shudder issue vs the rear drums if warped, if just coasting down a hill with the tranny in neutral, and you feel the shudder when on the brakes....its the rear drums. You can tell if a torque converter if running these engines in 6th gear at 1400 rpm or so, and the truck gives you a feeling of lugging the engine....many taco 3rd owners report that, which dealers say its normal. Imo, if it gets worse, the torque converter needs to go. On high mileage taco's, if this begins happening, replacing the atf can cure the issue. Be careful on these transmissions when overfilling, you can damage them very easily with too much fluid vs too little.

Thats strange, if it performed better for the beginning, and got worse. Kind of indicates it's a whole other issue, than a normal break-in process these trucks go through before they do drive better. You don't hear any unusual noises? At any rate, keep us posted how you make out.
Nothing unusual. Service tech said it sounds and feels like a torque converter issue to him. I should hear back from Toyota Wednesday. Let you know what they say

They checked the ATF level and it was fine. They even drained it and replaced it (supposedly). What Tacoma do you have and where was it Made? Mine is 23 TRD OR / double cab / short bed / made in Mexico.

Nothing unusual. Service tech said it sounds and feels like a torque converter issue to him. I should hear back from Toyota Wednesday. Let you know what they say
It sounds like what you're saying, it is a torque converter issue. No way should it become worse over time in a truck with only that much mileage. I'd be hoping they replace the transmission. Some claim running several tanks of 92 octane gasoline cures the issue....until you go back to 87. I have yet to experience anything like that in my 2020, so it's hard for me guess what's going on.

Phone​

Phone: 800-331-4331

Mon-Fri: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. ET
Sat: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET

TTY/TDD Users: Dial 711, then request the operator dial 1-800-331-4331

Back