Taco Tires

I have toyo open country Mt' s, they do great in most conditions. I havn't had problems starting out on wet roads either, and i live in the PNW.

I am running dick cepec fc2s they are great in the mud and on the rocks, but pretty bad in the rain. I get 2nd and 3rd gear wheel spin some times

Once I managed 3rd or 4th(can't remember) gear at the limiter before I let off. I was just showing off though. Sounds like I making big power but no it's the tires.

Well you guys have come up with things I never thought of!
I really like the bags of dirt from HD/Lowe’s idea, and God knows I have some low areas in my lawn:laughing:.

I know about building a (2x4) frame and putting the weight between the wheels.

I'll check out some of the tires mentioned, but I have a hard time believing a lot of you have no problems taking off on an incline in rainy weather with no weight. Trucks are so light in the rear (some worse than others) it's just natural for some slippage problems.

I had a Chevy pick up and it was worse than my Tacoma's, I had to leave sand bags in the rear. However I did have an extra leave or 2 added to the rear suspension for help when hauling heavy loads of wood, (no sand bags then);)

I have about 40K on mine right now.

It seems the GY Wranglers on my truck are sort of mixed relative to wear (not a good thing)! I guess the previous owner had some problems with them also!

With the price of good tires these days I am going to be very careful getting a new set. Lets not forget we are talking about 800 to $1000.00 plus for a set of 4, ouch!

I dropped 400 and change on 265/75/16 hankook dynapros from discount tire direct. Wasn't to upset bout that price

It seems the GY Wranglers on my truck are sort of mixed relative to wear (not a good thing)! I guess the previous owner had some problems with them also!

With the price of good tires these days I am going to be very careful getting a new set. Lets not forget we are talking about 800 to $1000.00 plus for a set of 4, ouch!

I paid about $660 for a set of 4 Firestone Destination A/T 245's back in Jan this yr. I got a buy 3 get 1 free deal. Also, used Firestone card and got a 5% discount and 6 months no interest if paid off by July, which I did. I was happy. Next set I buy will be the 265's.

Also, I have a stick & a mech LSD rearend so that might be why I don't spin my tires on wet pavement. I know in my PreRunner (auto) that did happen ever so often.

Well you guys have come up with things I never thought of!
I really like the bags of dirt from HD/Lowe’s idea, and God knows I have some low areas in my lawn:laughing:.

I know about building a (2x4) frame and putting the weight between the wheels.

I'll check out some of the tires mentioned, but I have a hard time believing a lot of you have no problems taking off on an incline in rainy weather with no weight. Trucks are so light in the rear (some worse than others) it's just natural for some slippage problems.

I had a Chevy pick up and it was worse than my Tacoma's, I had to leave sand bags in the rear. However I did have an extra leave or 2 added to the rear suspension for help when hauling heavy loads of wood, (no sand bags then);)

I do have a cap on the bed, so that does add some weight. Next spring I'll take it off and see how she handles in the rain.
I paid about $700 for my Coopers. The AT3's are rated the highest in wet traction of the all terrain market, and I'll vouch for that.

What he said! Changeling, If you have a Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards, you will find these pre-filled sand bags much easier to buy and they come in various weights. In my opinion adding sand bags for rainy weather is kind of pointless. It all comes down to the tires. With past trucks, I've only had sandbags in the winter.
If you do get sand bags, make yourself a box out of 2x4's to fit between the wheel wells in the bed, so the weight will be directly over the axle and the bags wont slide around.

I'm running Cooper AT3's, and they have been nothing but great on wet roads. Its been an very wet autumn and the truck has seen a lot of rain, so I've been pushing their limits to see their breaking point, never lost traction. I've heard nothing but bad things about Goodyear Wrangler's wet road performance. If sand baggin' it doesn't solve your problem, you might want to consider a change of tires.

High TJ, I've been checking out tires all day on the Internet and at Discount Tire, they have loads of information that I didn't know, it was an awesome place to get a tire education.

Those Cooper A3's were evidently a good choice you made. The specks look great except for the 50 K mileage guarantee, I thought it would be higher.

Looking at the tread design makes me think it will be an excellent all weather design, and great on snow/wet roads.
I really spent some time looking over the guarantee, be sure you keep all your tire rotations and such things up to date and verified (receipts) in that owner book they gave you. They seem to be a little anal if you don't have all the information in the book with receipts.

I will probably end up getting a set of those, thanks for telling me about them.

Last edited:
I got 70,000 out of a set of A3's on my old Colorado with rotation twice a year, back, front, cross cross. Love them Coopers.

TJ 11, If you don't mind asking where did you get your AT3's, I'm going to have to do something pretty soon.

Yesterday I turned from a side lane onto the main lane in a Wall Mart parking lot (Slight grade), It had been raining all day. She came up sideways on me quicker than a heart beat! Probably going 2 or 3 miles an hour at the most. I brought it back under control, but man did it happen quick!

I got mine through a local auto shop, they cut me a deal because a got some exhaust work done there. Cooper doesn't sell directly, but you can get them through most tire shops as a registered cooper tire dealer. You can go on Cooper tires website and you can find dealers near your location.

I know for sure Sears sells cooper tires and Farm n' Fleet if you have those stores in your area. Good luck!

TJ 11, If you don't mind asking where did you get your AT3's, I'm going to have to do something pretty soon.

Yesterday I turned from a side lane onto the main lane in a Wall Mart parking lot (Slight grade), It had been raining all day. She came up sideways on me quicker than a heart beat! Probably going 2 or 3 miles an hour at the most. I brought it back under control, but man did it happen quick!

So how do you like the Coopers? Any better?

I've used Coopers for about 35 years. I've currently got Coopers on two 4 runners and my taco and my wife's hyundai. I've never had a separation problem or balancing problem with Coopers. And they actually wear pretty good.

Last edited:
Back