Taco Tonneau Project

I did not have a choice because we bought a in stock Tacoma, but we are looking at putting a Tonneau cover on our Double Cab Taco SR5 short bed. Just starting to try and understand the different types (Soft Rolling/Folding & Hard Folding). Whether I need new bed caps etc... Also would like to put a power lock on tailgate, if it is even possible. I know I don't want anything expensive like power sliding. Don't want to break the bank but not afraid to spend a little more to get something that works and is useful.

Would live to hear from members.

Thank you.

M

I have the factory cover on my 2017 DCLB. I love it.
I am curious about the same thing you were though, if there is any way to put a power lock on the tailgate.
That's truly about the only thing I've found I wish my Sport had. It's not a big deal but would be convenient.
Anyone have any insight on this?

I Have a New Toyota Tri Fold, came with my 2016 OR short bed, brand new selling for 650.00 OBO
I leave in So Cal.

Attachments

• Taco cover closed.pdf
    525.7 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to the forum.
You have the MX4 I had determined to get until reading threads on TW about water problems. I'm probably extra sensitive to this concern as I would carry a competition rifle and tools/optics or gear for our Ducati mountain road vacations (trailer the bikes for that).
Living in a fairly green (read plenty of rainfall) part of the country in SE Michigan not far from an off-road paradise keeps me sensitive to water fastness issues. Your comments about some leaking seem very pragmatic so I would like to hear more of your opinion.
It makes sense not to expect waterproof. I expect to need to put a gasket/seal in the tailgate and the front rail ends. What concerns me is the problem that appears to be caused by Toyota's pattern embossing on top of the side bedrails. Would hope not to have to add silicone on the surface for appearance and the mess it could make in the event I want to remove the cover to allow for carrying a motorcycle in the bed.

You have the MX4 I had determined to get until reading threads on TW about water problems. I'm probably extra sensitive to this concern as I would carry a competition rifle and tools/optics or gear for our Ducati mountain road vacations (trailer the bikes for that).
Living in a fairly green (read plenty of rainfall) part of the country in SE Michigan not far from an off-road paradise keeps me sensitive to water fastness issues. Your comments about some leaking seem very pragmatic so I would like to hear more of your opinion.
It makes sense not to expect waterproof. I expect to need to put a gasket/seal in the tailgate and the front rail ends. What concerns me is the problem that appears to be caused by Toyota's pattern embossing on top of the side bedrails. Would hope not to have to add silicone on the surface for appearance and the mess it could make in the event I want to remove the cover to allow for carrying a motorcycle in the bed.
The cover folds up and you could fit a bike without taking it off. Mine will leak where you stated and it's only drips down the bed side. I have a bed mat that keeps everything up and off the actual bed and nothing gets wet.

The cover folds up and you could fit a bike without taking it off. Mine will leak where you stated and it's only drips down the bed side. I have a bed mat that keeps everything up and off the actual bed and nothing gets wet.
Thank you. Just picked up a bed mat yesterday for that reason. The MX4 is the best looking option IMO and your note that a bike can still be tied down without removal helps.
Do you know if Toyota's cargo divider will work under the MX4? That is how I would see configuring the bed most of the time and on trips. Understand some are able to get fitment to work by putting the attachment knobs on from the bottom.

Last edited:
Thank you. Just picked up a bed mat yesterday for that reason. The MX4 is the best looking option IMO and your note that a bike can still be tied down without removal helps.
Do you know if Toyota's cargo divider will work under the MX4? That is how I would see configuring the bed most of the time and on trips. Understand some are able to get fitment to work by putting the attachment knobs on from the bottom.
I don't know about the cargo divider.

The UnderCover tonneau covers look great, and are supposed to keep out the weather. I had a color matched Leer tonneau on a previous truck. It was lockable, and weather-tight. I loved it. The UnderCover tonneau covers look similar, but weigh less because they are plastic, not fiberglass.

I don't know about the cargo divider.
Verified the divider will work. Installed the MX4 cover this week. Stayed dry in light rain and when rinsing the dust off when pressure washing. Will test water protection more thoroughly after I install the drain tubes and the tailgate seal tomorrow.

Verified the divider will work. Installed the MX4 cover this week. Stayed dry in light rain and when rinsing the dust off when pressure washing. Will test water protection more thoroughly after I install the drain tubes and the tailgate seal tomorrow.
Let's see it :)

Very pleased with my Undercover Elite....$860.00 + tx. Super easy to install and works smoothly.

Attachments

• DSC00668.JPG
    DSC00668.JPG
    878 KB · Views: 42
Back