That little chrome section around your grill?

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by dirtysouthyota, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dirtysouthyota

dirtysouthyota Well-Known Member

How do I remove it? Plain and simple I just want to paint it white and google is mo help

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OffroadTaco4x4

OffroadTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of the exact part because my truck has no chrome so I'm not exactly sure which part you mean

4. ae111black

ae111black Moderator Moderator

Kinda hard to remove. You have to pull the whole assembly off the truck and grind off the "melted" sections from the back. There's a few of them. And after that it should come off. Them you will need to plastic epoxy them back in after paint.

5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I bought a new OEM grill from a sport. Most that do paint the chrome leave the grill intact.

6. byrd

byrd Moderator Moderator

I'm guessing you wish to color match your grill. You paint it. Take 2 screws and 2 push pins on top out, pull grill straight up. There are 2 clips, 1 lower left & 1 right you have to squeeze to release, or just break them when you pull it. Like I did :laughing:, grill will still stay in place when you reinstall. Use painters tape to mask off center black. Or paint it like 1st gen Tundra's are. I'm getting ready to pull mine again for additional work and replacing with new lower clips. Cheap at dealer about $1.50 ea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. LUSETACO

LUSETACO Resident Cheapskate Moderator

Hard to remove just the cover and reattach. Just mask it off or get yourself a parts geek grill. They come already separated, then you can paint and join the two pieces together.

8. ae111black

ae111black Moderator Moderator

I wish I could get a parts geek grill here to Hawaii..... Super cheap!