Things I should do?!?

1/50 times it may be needed. The one person I’ve hear of so far on this forum that has chopped the mounts on a third gen is someone who put 285/75/17 tires on.
285/75/16
285/70/17
285/65/18
285/60/19
285/55/20
285/50/21
285/45/22
Haven’t heard of them chopping the mounts.
For the average person (3rd gen) who goes off road up to moderately will never have an issue. Maybe later when they are 10 years old and the average owner is taking them to extremes cab mount chop will be done more often.
My point- they are to New for folks to wheel hard enough to chop.
Give it 10 yrs.

Reason I said "why not" is because honestly I haven't even noticed if there is a prominent amount of material on 3rd gen mounts, hadn't heard anything to the contrary, so assuming it's the same but I really should check... & I will say that I had probably at least 100 local TW members come thru my garage & most of them 15k or less & we'd be under them adding springs, in the rear & doing the front with UCA's/LCA's, engineered spindles / coilovers & all of it was geared for the fitment of larger tires & with that came plastic trimming, cab mount chopping to get 35" under them & still have no rubbing in turns in deep ruts...

My point is nothing is too new not to set up properly, but we obliviously offroad differently & interpret differently as well...

Reason I said "why not" is because honestly I haven't even noticed if there is a prominent amount of material on 3rd gen mounts, hadn't heard anything to the contrary, so assuming it's the same but I really should check... & I will say that I had probably at least 100 local TW members come thru my garage & most of them 15k or less & we'd be under them adding springs, in the rear & doing the front with UCA's/LCA's, engineered spindles / coilovers & all of it was geared for the fitment of larger tires & with that came plastic trimming, cab mount chopping to get 35" under them & still have no rubbing in turns in deep ruts...

My point is nothing is too new not to set up properly, but we obliviously offroad differently & interpret differently as well...
Hopefully you can start doing more 3rd gens and let us know the findings and the outcome. Most people aren’t putting 35” tires on.

Hopefully you can start doing more 3rd gens and let us know the findings and the outcome. Most people aren’t putting 35” tires on.
It definitely seems rare to see 35's on there. Honestly I wouldn't want to go that big anyway. I think 33's look good enough.

Really wanting to work on my cab mounts, my only concern is about the truck itself while welding,... when you have done this in the past, what did you do to prevent any sort of possible short? I’ve read mixed opinions on disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the ECU,... A good friend of mine fried his ECU while welding on a receiver hitch on a Colorado about a decade ago, It kinda terrifies me. It’s why I dealt with all the rubbing on my last Tacoma but really want to fix this issue before I have to deal with it on this truck. I just wanted to know what or if you did anything special before actually welding. Thank you sir.

****ing dbl post strikes again....

Reactions: 4wd
Really wanting to work on my cab mounts, my only concern is about the truck itself while welding,... when you have done this in the past, what did you do to prevent any sort of possible short? I’ve read mixed opinions on disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the ECU,... A good friend of mine fried his ECU while welding on a receiver hitch on a Colorado about a decade ago, It kinda terrifies me. It’s why I dealt with all the rubbing on my last Tacoma but really want to fix this issue before I have to deal with it on this truck. I just wanted to know what or if you did anything special before actually welding. Thank you sir.

We didn't have any issues with welding & shorting out anything but you could always disconnect the battery , probably a good idea even ....**** disconnect the batt. & ECU, doesn't take but a min. or 2

Thanks, didn’t know if I was mind f$cking it too hard or what, I’ve just never welded on anything with a brain. He was using an old flat head Lincoln that’s seen it’s better days. Could’ve had some kind of power surge,... I just know it was a big headache for him and I don’t care to go through that myself.

We didn't have any issues with welding & shorting out anything but you could always disconnect the battery , probably a good idea even ....**** disconnect the batt. & ECU, doesn't take but a min. or 2

Thanks, didn’t know if I was mind f$cking it too hard or what, I’ve just never welded on anything with a brain. He was using an old flat head Lincoln that’s seen it’s better days. Could’ve had some kind of power surge,... I just know it was a big headache for him and I don’t care to go through that myself.

Haha, yeah all the electronics are a mind **** sometimes, wire & gas (MIG) are your friends on this one & well maybe that old stick welder can play hell not sure about that one...

Yes, definitely. A close, solid ground and slow and pretty was my game plan. Lol.

Haha, yeah all the electronics are a mind **** sometimes, wire & gas (MIG) are your friends on this one & well maybe that old stick welder can play hell not sure about that one...

So I got my Revtek 40013 levelling kit, and now want to get rims and tires. I’m hoping to for 16 inch rims and 285/75r16 BFG KO2 tires with 0 offset. Is there anything else I should do while I’m at it? I see some guys doing a diff drop, longer brake lines? Something about a needle bearing?

Thoughts?

Pic for attention
I have the same setup on my 17 dcsb OR - I put 285 75 16's on (Goodyears). I trimmed a bit of the mudflaps and put em back on. No rubbing. I will say that your intention to go with 0 offset may be a problem and you'll get a little more rubbing than me. I bought me wheels with a -13 offset. You may have to revert to a wheel spacer if you're staying with the factory wheels.IMG_20180128_095940_321.jpgIMG_20180111_232744_161.jpg

I have the same setup on my 17 dcsb OR - I put 285 75 16's on (Goodyears). I trimmed a bit of the mudflaps and put em back on. No rubbing. I will say that your intention to go with 0 offset may be a problem and you'll get a little more rubbing than me. I bought me wheels with a -13 offset. You may have to revert to a wheel spacer if you're staying with the factory wheels.View attachment 15070View attachment 15071
Oh and I'll add.... My needle bearing immediately started howling on me so I'm getting the bushing installed.

East Coast Gear Supply explains it really well and makes the bushing and tools.

I had the bushing installed. It fixed the issue immediately. Well worth the money. The noise was annoying and felt like the bearing was getting torn up.

I had the bushing installed. It fixed the issue immediately. Well worth the money. The noise was annoying and felt like the bearing was getting torn up.

I'm amazed that Toyota still has this issue with the needle bearing thing on diff. I thought this was dealt with like 3-4 years ago..

I'm amazed that Toyota still has this issue with the needle bearing thing on diff. I thought this was dealt with like 3-4 years ago..

Me too! I was bummed when the truck was making the noises after lifting it. Found this forum and learned what the sound was. Had to explain it to the 4 Wheel shop and wait for them to have it approved before they would agree to doing the bushing swap. They even bought the removal tool from me so they could do more if needed. I’m also glad I had it lifted and didn’t have the new tires and rims on it. I might have thought the annoying hum was from the bigger tires. Toyota definitely needs to fix their flaw.

Back