Throttle surge on 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport.

My truck surge too, more when cold, not much noticeable when in running temperature but still able to feel it a little,
do you thing is normal??

you posted this in an other thread;
I feel it when I'm slowing down just before stopping it seems to happen right about
10-15mph during deceleration almost like it loses all power for a second.
(((Feels like brake loses pressure ---- It is an uneasy feeling.)))

my truck has done the same thing many times, but is hard to replicate, I have an appointment today with the dealer I bought the truck from after calling Toyota Corporate, I am almost 100% sure it will be hard to duplicate the same thing with the tech, what can I do? the always say its normal, and never are able to duplicate what I feel .

I will talk to them about, the stereo unit not turning completely off, I don't know if it's normal or not.
I wasn't taking about your issues. The deceleration surge, hard down shift and loss of feeling of the brake We where taking about does not seem normal. It is very hard to duplicate. It's very random. It does happen more when cold.
Pgiannetto was saying: "I have figured out the throttle surge in my Tacoma. It's just when I move the steering wheel. It's more noticeable when truck is cold and not warmed up yet"
I was replying just to that comment.
If the RPM's increase causing a "surge" when you turn the wheel side to side that's the power steering pump and is normal.
Hope that helps.

My truck surge too, more when cold, not much noticeable when in running temperature but still able to feel it a little,
do you thing is normal??

you posted this in an other thread;
I feel it when I'm slowing down just before stopping it seems to happen right about
10-15mph during deceleration almost like it loses all power for a second.
(((Feels like brake loses pressure ---- It is an uneasy feeling.)))

my truck has done the same thing many times, but is hard to replicate, I have an appointment today with the dealer I bought the truck from after calling Toyota Corporate, I am almost 100% sure it will be hard to duplicate the same thing with the tech, what can I do? the always say its normal, and never are able to duplicate what I feel .

I will talk to them about, the stereo unit not turning completely off, I don't know if it's normal or not.
I don't know how you can make sure they feel what you're feeling. I hope they do so we can all get some answers. Let us know how it goes.

Also if you get any more answers for the stereo not turning off post it in that thread so the info is there not here.

I wasn't taking about your issues. The deceleration surge, hard down shift and loss of feeling of the brake We where taking about does not seem normal. It is very hard to duplicate. It's very random. It does happen more when cold.
Pgiannetto was saying: "I have figured out the throttle surge in my Tacoma. It's just when I move the steering wheel. It's more noticeable when truck is cold and not warmed up yet"
I was replying just to that comment.
If the RPM's increase causing a "surge" when you turn the wheel side to side that's the power steering pump and is normal.
Hope that helps.

I will try my best to explain them what's going on, English is my second language so that's a barrier for me.
I was just trying to get an advice how to explain them about "the breaks losing pressure" since it was hard to duplicate the issue.
but yeah I know you were referring to the other's man surging problem not mine. but since my it is almost doing the same thing, I thought it might be just normal, but anyhow will go over today, they told me a tech will ride with me so that I can show him what I was feeling.
sorry if I confuse you.

I will try my best to explain them what's going on, English is my second language so that's a barrier for me.
I was just trying to get an advice how to explain them about "the breaks losing pressure" since it was hard to duplicate the issue.
but yeah I know you were referring to the other's man surging problem not mine. but since my it is almost doing the same thing, I thought it might be just normal, but anyhow will go over today, they told me a tech will ride with me so that I can show him what I was feeling.
sorry if I confuse you.

You should open a case with Toyota about the brake problem. My truck does the same thing. The more cases they have the more likely they are to address it.

You should open a case with Toyota about the brake problem. My truck does the same thing. The more cases they have the more likely they are to address it.

I did it already I called Toyota Corporate.
the only thing I am afraid of is that since this problem is kind of hard to replicate they might not notice it. even if they do feel it, i guess there is not fix for it yet. at least that's what I've been reading in the internet. but at least, the will we aware and hopefully there is a fix soon, I will update after they give my truck back.

They couldn't replicate it on my truck unfortunately. I'm not sure they would even know how to fix it though.

got my truck back yesterday from service.
I called corporate open a case
received a call back from my local dealership
took the truck for inspection after noticing some issues like lurching at low speeds especially when trying to park on tight spaces.
breaks loosing pressure. etc etc.

all they told me was, this truck has like 15 computers and is all base on computers.
they reset my driving habits from the transmission and engine they said.
they did again the TSB 0077-16 Rev1 Update

they couldn't replicate the break loosing pressures ---- damn, I knew that was going to happen

tech told me the drove my truck with a computer hook up, and got all the information and all the problems. he talk for about and hour with an Toyota engineer from California. my case is still open. they say Toyota is aware of some problems. that's all they told me.
I will bug the until they find a solution. because I am not a very happy customer with Toyota.

Bummer we are all having to waste our time going back to the dealer. $40k vehicle shouldn't have so many issues. I can say so far toyota has been trying to fix each issue. They really only like to address one at a time so you will be going back again and again if you have multiple issues.
Let us know what happens with that rear diff. I know the recall will be released in another week or so. It will be interesting to hear who has what done.
My 2016 TRD sport has been sitting in TACO jail at the dealership for 30 days now with no fix in sight. They gave me a Dodge Ram to drive until Toyota comes up with a fix for the rear diff.
:( recall.

My 2016 TRD sport has been sitting in TACO jail at the dealership for 30 days now with no fix in sight. They gave me a Dodge Ram to drive until Toyota comes up with a fix for the rear diff.
Bummer!! They could have at least given you something to save some money on gas.
Was your rear diff leaking? What was happening to make them keep it?

Bummer!! They could have at least given you something to save some money on gas.
Was your rear diff leaking? What was happening to make them keep it?
My option for a loaner from the dealership was a corolla which just doesn't work for me. I may reach out to Enterprise and see what other options I have. Toyota has racked up over $2000 in rental fees for a month with the Dodge Ram. Unbelievable!
I took the truck in first week of May for an unrelated issue and the dealership mentioned the recall. First they told me my truck was in the clear and come get it. Then when I get there the story is totally different. Now it has a major leak from the rear differential and they can't let me take it. I understand the safety aspect but I call bullshit on there being no fix. I've been breathing down the service dept. and Toyota corp.'s necks relentlessly and I've started a lemon law claim against them since the truck has been on the lot for over 30 days now. I've owned Toyotas my whole life but this is my first Tacoma. It may be my last if they don't pull it together.

You would think they could put a new diff in and all is good. Should only take a week at most to get parts from factory and install it.
My front diff was bad from factory and they had my truck for 5 days. And that was them ordering the rear diff first and having to wait to get the front diff to show up. Also it was over the weekend and they don't work sundays. So 4 working days and wrong part ordered 5 days done.
They gave me a RAV4 haha.
My dealer has one of every toyota model for loaners. If you have a 4 runner they give you a 4 runner, Camry you get a Camry, tacoma you get a Tacoma. Problem is they only have one of each and these tacomas have some issues so the Tacoma loaner is always being used.
Once a lemon law claim has been filed they will no longer work on the truck or fix it. By law they have to recycle the truck and it can not be sold again.
Sounds like they are now going through the process to pay you out on it if you've lemon lawed it.

I've been breathing down the service dept. and Toyota corp.'s necks relentlessly and I've started a lemon law claim against them since the truck has been on the lot for over 30 days now.
You're not getting that truck back. I'd start looking for something new.

I will look into the lemon law claim too, I will maybe try to get a lawyer first for advice since I don't know anything about this.
but I definitely do not want a defective truck, I still have all types of surges, lurching and hesitating happening in my truck.
tech where able to feel them Toyota corp. said it is a normal characteristic of the truck and no fix. we should all give their dams trucks back. I don't care how much money I might lose.

I will look into the lemon law claim too, I will maybe try to get a lawyer first for advice since I don't know anything about this.
but I definitely do not want a defective truck, I still have all types of surges, lurching and hesitating happening in my truck.
tech where able to feel them Toyota corp. said it is a normal characteristic of the truck and no fix. we should all give their dams trucks back. I don't care how much money I might lose.

You could contact Toyota customer service and tell them you want Toyota to buy your truck back. It may be that simple.

I was just at my local dealer today for a meet and great with the regional friendly field tech. Hooked up the laptop to the truck and we drove around. Noted all the reverse surges, the deceleration surges and drivability. Said the same thing he could feel what I feel. No codes where thrown. Stated normal characteristics of the truck. He said the off-roads have many actuators due to the crawl control and the "surging" is due to them working the way they are designed to work. Toyota may have updates in the future if enough people complain. If they do they will contact me.

Toyota should be making your truck payments as well. Make sure you are getting that reimbursed.

Back