Tire Summary

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Atomic Diesel, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Atomic Diesel

Atomic Diesel Well-Known Member

Okay, I have chased thread after thread on tire size with factory wheels, aftermarket wheels, lift, no lift, so on and on. I need a summary. The silver bullet is approaching 32K miles, and the factory Goodyears are slicker than snot on a hoe handle. What I have-265/70R16. What I want-265/75R16. Can I do that on factory suspension and OR wheels without complications? Once I get a solid answer there I will poll the pros and cons of several different brands and go from there. I know a bunch of y’all like the Falkens. Fine, but I’m gonna be after opinions on some others too.
    Unit in question is a 17 TRD ORDCLB. Many thanks.

bgtaco, AZ Pete and Lil G like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

My question is why are your tires slick at 32K? Have you had regular maintenance done and logged? If so, you should be in for a free replacement set of kevlars as they have a 60k mike tread wear warranty

4. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

On my 06 GMC 1500 I had 67K on a set of General AT2 tires, 26570R17. Great in mud, snow, rain and dry pavement. Great response, no loss of fuel mileage, but they were a bit more noisy than the OE Bridgestone Dueler tires. Those I got 62K out of. Both sets of tires were rotated front to back and balanced every 7000 miles, air pressure checked monthly.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    SDO8412 and Atomic Diesel like this.
  5. OP
    Atomic Diesel

I know the replacements have a 60K tread warranty, but the originals...I have no explanation. It’s been serviced every 5k by the dealer I bought it from brand new. Uniform wear across the board, right down to the treadwear indicator bars. Maybe I’ll ask my dealer. Free would be a hell of a sight cheaper than paying for a new set. I figure there will be some sort of bullshit ‘that ain’t covered’ story, but it’s worth a shot.

TRDrailduck, sjoh527 and B-Man like this.
  6. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

Yeah you’re probably right. I purchased my 16 used with 50k and the tires still had tread but were noticeably different than the spare mounted underneath. I just went to my local Goodyear shop and bought a new set of original tires since I had nothing to back up the warranty as I was not the first owner. Worth a shot though. All they can tell you is no but 1/2 the tread wear mileage seems like they would cut some type of deal

Atomic Diesel and B-Man like this.
  7. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

You can fit 265/75/16 without issues.

8. paterran

paterran Member

I used Or17TRD's advice last month. Finally upgraded my factory 2016 SR5 tires from 246/75/16 to Goodyear 265/75/16. No lift, no rubbing with mud flaps. Some noise but not bad. Lost 2 mpg city. Worth it! Thanks Or17TRD.
    fullsizeoutput_2c4.jpeg

WooD, OR17TRD, Tacomania and 4 others like this.
  9. OP
    Atomic Diesel

Excellent. Now then-
    Goodyear Duratrac
    The Falken Wildpeak
    Kumho Road Venture AT51
    Toyo Open Country AT II
    Kelly Edge AT
    Any other recommendations based on what y’all run? What does Cooper have out there? Mostly highway, some light ‘froadin, snow in the winter. The Duratrac would be about the most aggressive I would go. Not a fan of General, BFG, or Bridge/Fire stone.

On looks and price comparison- I like the Kumho and the Falken, but I am value shopping, not price and pretty shopping;)

Lil G likes this.
  10. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Most tires that they put on new cars/trucks aren’t near as good as what a consumer buys. I’ve always heard that anyway. I will be happy as a pig in if mine last 32k.

sjoh527 likes this.
  11. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a thread about load range . Something to do with the weight of the tire. Keep it in mind when looking/buying. Jangles or whip will chime in and keep me honest.

B-Man likes this.
  12. OR17TRD

Don’t really need more than a “C” load
    E is really heavy and will tank the tank.

13. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Thank you sir for the chime in

sjoh527 and B-Man like this.
  14. TacoRick

TacoRick Well-Known Member

I have 20,000 miles on my '16 and my tire wear is well past the halfway point, despite 5,000 mile rotate and balance intervals and regularly checking the air pressure. The wear is even, but past where it should be.

BeardedVooDoo, OR17TRD, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  15. OP
    Atomic Diesel

Should have mentioned from the start- Load range C will be the max
    Not sure about these factory wheels, but most are only rated for up to 45 psi unless on a larger truck with E range tires. I’ve seen wheels crack on a half ton truck running 70 psi in E range tires

B-Man likes this.
  16. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Well-Known Member

yes, you can.

Atomic Diesel and B-Man like this.
  17. sjoh527

sjoh527 Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat in terms of looking and asking. I've decided to wait this trough this winter and see how the stock tires do.

All my research points me into the direction of the Falken WildPeaks or the Toyo OpenCountry AT IIs . Looks like they do very well for the price but I cannot speak from personal experience.

Atomic Diesel likes this.
  18. OP
    Atomic Diesel

Well, just discovered that the Falkens are out. Peckerhead punkass pos neighbor has them on his F250. I ain’t goin down that road...;)

tinyjew, Scott Wyman, OR17TRD and 5 others like this.
  19. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Lol I’m the same way. I would change a flat everyday before I matched guys like that. I’m a grumpy old bastard though.

Scott Wyman, BigMau, OR17TRD and 4 others like this.
  20. OR17TRD

Your taco would look better with them. o_O
    I understand. :D

texasred, Lil G and Atomic Diesel like this.
  21. OP
    Atomic Diesel

Liking the GY Duratrac.... but them Toyos have 15k more on the tread warranty and are a hunnert bucks less.
    BTW- y’all buy local shop or online? Tires-easy.com has been the go to for my fleet over the last 4-5 years. Good prices and free shipping

BigMau, texasred, B-Man and 1 other person like this.