Turbo kit for 4.0l?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by 858_tacoma_guy, Oct 25, 2017.

1. OP
    858_tacoma_guy

858_tacoma_guy Well-Known Member

I can easily save up for it. But I'm gonna wait few years maybe to see if price lowered or more options come out. Or I may just get the turbo since it does less harm to the motor so I think.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

**** ur right.... all the misinfo on the m vs mp, and then the guy saying numbers on the tvs1320 ****ered my fritter upper.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  4. Bojangles

Im curious about this damage

5. Bojangles

And if u have the timage and moonie, why not ls it?

6. OP
    858_tacoma_guy

Doesn't adding a supercharger cause stuff to wear out quicker?

7. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

You are increasing cylinder pressure which can wear interal parts faster and of course more power can also wear the trans and axles faster than normal. There’s no way to calculate how much faster things will wear down or even at all. Maintenance also plays a big part.

858_tacoma_guy likes this.
  8. OP
    858_tacoma_guy

Guess power comes at a cost

9. Bojangles

Meh,
    The trd or magnuson blower uses 1/3 hp when its not being used, poor truck right?

When used, its only for a few seconds... you dont drive all the way to work in boost. Its load dependent.

40k miles pushing about 120 extra hp and the truck has not grenaded itself. Even what i thought was trans slippage seems to have gone away with a reset (same as it did before force fed).

10. Bojangles

Now, about turbos being easier on vehicles than blowers.
    Are they both not producing boost?
    Educate me here on the turbo wearing the engine less

11. OP
    858_tacoma_guy

A supercharger forces more air into the engine, which makes things wear down quicker while a turbo does not. I think

12. whippersnapper02

A turbo forces more air into the cylinders. Turbos and superchargers are forced induction. The difference is turbos run off of exhaust energy while superchargers use engine power from the crank.

13. Bojangles

o_O

14. Bojangles

Wanna has more fun?

How does this theory work in a belt driven turbo like urd?

Is it damaging like super as u think
    Or less damaging since its a turbo base?

15. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

16. OreoCat

OreoCat Well-Known Member

Guy on TW says he's going to 5.7 swap a 2nd gen.. who needs a turbo at that point.. and I think he's serious because he already swapped a 4.7 v8 into a 1st gen

17. whippersnapper02

I’d do it if there was a kit available. LS, supercharger, GM 6 speed auto, AWD transfercase with locking diff and Currie rear axle.

OreoCat likes this.
  18. OreoCat

OreoCat Well-Known Member

5.7 swap with a supercharger and Dana 80