Underpowered Tacoma

Could the lack in performance be the new atkinsons cycle engine they're using for the 2016 v6's? It's supposed to be an efficient motor at the expense of power density.

My 2016 MT Tacoma doesn't lack power anywhere!! It is only the Automatic that feels sluggish until you put your foot in it. I cant stop driving my truck,it is alot of fun. Get the black interior if u can find it, it makes the truck go faster also!!

Yep had a 2007 with the 4.0, got a 2016 with the new motor, it sucks unless you put your foot in it or hit the ECT button. Other than that, it's like taking off in a Prius...lol

This motor is no where efficient, i can barely get 15mpg,and i have a tonnue Cover on the bed. Also i live in South Florida where the biggest hill is a speed bump!! My 2008 with the 4.0 got at least 18mpg, or so I thought!! I also have a 2016-TRD Pro 4 runner that is getting also 15mpg, and it has the 4.0 rated the same HP as the 3.5

I originally thought the same thing. In normal mode, feels weak and doggy. I do get nearly 22 mpg driving the same way i drove my 4ltr tacoma getting no better than 18 mpg. 10% better gas mileage is pretty impressive for the same basic truck. The 6 speed transmission lets me drive in the mountains and maintain fairly constant speed without a lot of noticeable transmission shifting. Engine runs nice and slow on flat hiways.
Press the ECT button and she gets quite peppy. Quick off the line and every bit the feel of the 4 liter motor.

I get about on the average 20 mpg you just can't go past 2000 rpm when taking off. But when I tow my camper I get 9 mpg.

Back