Update on 3" lifting in my Taco

Body lifts suck... Period. Should have ditched the wheels.
Agree and disagree... tall body lifts look terrible especially when you can see clear through between the body and frame, but theres nothing wrong with a 1"-2" body lift that will give you the extra room for clearance so nothing rubs. Not that easy to make a lot of room for tires with IFS, you could do a drop bracket if you like that... I dont like those much either, but 2-3" suspension and a 1-2" body lift and you could get 3-5" lift that has good ground clearance, room for tires and maintains a good ride. Good functional combo for not a a lot of $$$$$

Agree and disagree... tall body lifts look terrible especially when you can see clear through between the body and frame, but theres nothing wrong with a 1"-2" body lift that will give you the extra room for clearance so nothing rubs. Not that easy to make a lot of room for tires with IFS, you could do a drop bracket if you like that... I dont like those much either, but 2-3" suspension and a 1-2" body lift and you could get 3-5" lift that has good ground clearance, room for tires and maintains a good ride. Good functional combo for not a a lot of $$$$$

You can lift 8" & still gonna rub on cab mount (if 2nd/3rd gen)

Drop brackets will get you to 4" (if IFS 4x, all gens) BUT you lose over an inch of ground clearance because of the design .

& not really good but I guess functional to a degree, never a good idea to just lift to the sky with body lifts or spacers, remember , the more you go up the top heavier you get & without a solid ,firm suspension holding everything up your chances of rolling are past a "possible" to a "probable" This of course is when offroading & possible on street as well, I do all lifts thru suspension...

You can lift 8" & still gonna rub on cab mount (if 2nd/3rd gen)

Drop brackets will get you to 4" (if IFS 4x, all gens) BUT you lose over an inch of ground clearance because of the design .

& not really good but I guess functional to a degree, never a good idea to just lift to the sky with body lifts or spacers, remember , the more you go up the top heavier you get & without a solid ,firm suspension holding everything up your chances of rolling are past a "possible" to a "probable" This of course is when offroading & possible on street as well, I do all lifts thru suspension...
Not an if but when.

I haven't lifted a 2nd or 3rd gen tacoma yet so I see what you're saying about the mount being in the way but as far as the body lifts go they do have uses in other applications, on my TJ Wrangler a 1.25" body lift and motor mount lift give you the ability to do a tummy tuck and get rid of the skid that hangs down almost 3" (better known as the shovel) and go with a skid that mounts flat up to the frame and pick up a lot of clearance. A small body lift also only lifts the body for tire clearance, like on my Frontier, and still have a lower center of gravity LCOG than if lifting the whole truck.

Make no mistake about it, Im not saying that a body lift is a be all of end all kind of lift, I prefer not to use them but they do have use. Most people do a 2" lift on their frontiers and have no trouble with 285s on stock rims, my pro comp rims stick out about 2" further than stock and I still had to do some trimming and melting with 5" of lift....... Couldn't have made it work without the body lift.

I haven't lifted a 2nd or 3rd gen tacoma yet so I see what you're saying about the mount being in the way but as far as the body lifts go they do have uses in other applications, on my TJ Wrangler a 1.25" body lift and motor mount lift give you the ability to do a tummy tuck and get rid of the skid that hangs down almost 3" (better known as the shovel) and go with a skid that mounts flat up to the frame and pick up a lot of clearance. A small body lift also only lifts the body for tire clearance, like on my Frontier, and still have a lower center of gravity LCOG than if lifting the whole truck.

Make no mistake about it, Im not saying that a body lift is a be all of end all kind of lift, I prefer not to use them but they do have use. Most people do a 2" lift on their frontiers and have no trouble with 285s on stock rims, my pro comp rims stick out about 2" further than stock and I still had to do some trimming and melting with 5" of lift....... Couldn't have made it work without the body lift.

Oh I understand that, I had a 3" block for a short time on my 72' Power Wagon but had it backed up with 1 ton springs for fitting 38.5 & 40"'s monster mudders & most people lift Tacomas 3" & still can't properly fit 285's haha, I miss the old days I could fit 32"'s on my 83' stock suspension/solid axle & not rub full lock , only in rutted hard turns would it rub...My point was top heavy=excessive body roll so gotta stiffen suspension...

These aren’t jeeps, Nissans or chevys and I wouldn’t put a body lift on a Tacoma. I also wouldn’t put a suspension lift more than 3”. These trucks are best at 3” or less and usually require new UCA over 2.5”. They are very capible at that height and can fit 285’s with very little rubbing and no cutting. A good alignment and UCA will eliminated most of if not all the rubbing with 3” and 285/75/16.

These aren’t jeeps, Nissans or chevys and I wouldn’t put a body lift on a Tacoma. I also wouldn’t put a suspension lift more than 3”. These trucks are best at 3” or less and usually require new UCA over 2.5”. They are very capible at that height and can fit 285’s with very little rubbing and no cutting. A good alignment and UCA will eliminated most of if not all the rubbing with 3” and 285/75/16.
That's basically my plan (3"max)and really didn't know any of the issues with lifting new tacomas, and certainly not arguing the greatness of body lifts just stating small BL can be useful, apparently just not on a newer tacoma :)
Now I know..

That's basically my plan (3"max)and really didn't know any of the issues with lifting new tacomas, and certainly not arguing the greatness of body lifts just stating small BL can be useful, apparently just not on a newer tacoma :)
Now I know..
Haha. I never have liked anything about body lifts on vehicles. It’s not a Tacoma thing for me it’s a vehicle thing.
There is a possibility your drivers side needle bearing will go out immediately after lifting it. If you do the lift outside he dealer you will be responsible for fixing it. ECGS has a bushing for $65 and a shop will charge $200 to install it.

Back