What did you do with your Taco today

Sitting here at Safelite Repair twiddling my thumbs waiting for a new windshield install. Seems back on january 7th while enroute to be with my mom in ICU in Biloxi, a gravel truck got me on i-10 in Louisiana with a rock chip.

Didnt think much of it, figuring i would get one of those “rock chip repair” shops you see at gas stations, mechanic shops, etc. by the time I got back to Texas the little chip cracked and spread across the entire windshield.

Just in case your dealer didnt tell you, a 3rd gen windshield cost $1250. Yes, twelve hundred fifty dollars. Back in 2022 when it broke the first time (my fault, transporting 12 ft 2x6’s and slid them through the back window. Yes it was a dumb idea). I had a $1,000 deductible so safelite cut me a deal for “cash customers” for $650 out the door.

After that fiasco i lowered my deductible to $500. So i call the insurance company and they tell me a new 3rd windshield is still $1,250. So im out $500. Moral of the story; stay away from those evil gravel trucks.

We had a new prius windshield installed a couple years ago for the same reason....gravel, and glass don't mix. Cost was $300 at the time, but it wasn't the original toyota stuff that this independent glass company installed.
Decades ago I had replaced the windshield twice, and rear window in my tundra within the span of a year. The rear window was a total fluke....while fooling around with a bunji cord, the end slapped the rear window causing it to shatter in a zillion pieces....what a friggin mess in the rear cab. I had to remove the seats, and carpet to vacuum up all the tempered glass chunks...it went everywhere.

Went to my mother-in-law's today and picked up a couple of heirlooms for the wife. Her great-grandmothers rocking chair is 106 years old and in excellent, excellent shape and inside the box is a complete set of antique china. I undid the tie-down rope before I took the picture. :D

Attachments

• IMG_6341.jpg
    IMG_6341.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12

Went to my mother-in-law's today and picked up a couple of heirlooms for the wife. Her great-grandmothers rocking chair is 106 years old and in excellent, excellent shape and inside the box is a complete set of antique china. I undid the tie-down rope before I took the picture. :D
I wish I had that rocker in my shop like that....wouldn't need to go home.

Loaded up the Taco today with boxes and boxes of stuff the wife and I no longer want or need. Not junk, just stuff we haven't used in the last couple years. And the high today in North Texas was 64 degrees and clear skies. :)

What did you do with your Taco today​

What a rush. Couldn't sleep well and woke up at 0300 and decided to drive BigBlue 396 miles to Clovis, New Mexico today. Cannon AFB was having a sale on Yuengling beer and i couldn't resist. First time taking this route and I gotta tell ya there was about a 30-mile stretch between Benjamin Crosbyton on US hwy 82 that had a series of up and down hills about a half mile apart maybe.

Now if you are gong to attempt this you must understand that there can not be any cars in view from hilltop to hilltop as it could be Law Enforcement. I would start at the top of the first hill doing 90ish and then mash down on the throttle. Now I don't know what the modern day terminology would be but "the governor" or "Restrictor Plate" kicks in at 113mph (it always does) and slowed my speed down.

I've had way to many speeding tickets so I learned a long time ago a radar is "line of site" so as long as you get back down to the posted speed limit at the top of the next hill there's no way Johnny Law can record you on his radar. Man i love my Taco.

1708657433748.png

1708657712567.png

What did you do with your Taco today​

What a rush. Couldn't sleep well and woke up at 0300 and decided to drive BigBlue 396 miles to Clovis, New Mexico today. Cannon AFB was having a sale on Yuengling beer and i couldn't resist. First time taking this route and I gotta tell ya there was about a 30-mile stretch between Benjamin Crosbyton on US hwy 82 that had a series of up and down hills about a half mile apart maybe.

Now if you are gong to attempt this you must understand that there can not be any cars in view from hilltop to hilltop as it could be Law Enforcement. I would start at the top of the first hill doing 90ish and then mash down on the throttle. Now I don't know what the modern day terminology would be but "the governor" or "Restrictor Plate" kicks in at 113mph (it always does) and slowed my speed down.

I've had way to many speeding tickets so I learned a long time ago a radar is "line of site" so as long as you get back down to the posted speed limit at the top of the next hill there's no way Johnny Law can record you on his radar. Man i love my Taco.

View attachment 43501

View attachment 43502

i reckon that some have wheeled it Further for Less :cool:

The cpu in these taco's acts like a rev limiter to limit these trucks to 105 mph. I've run my truck on an old dry dam road to see what it will do for mph. Its the same as my tundra was ...seems power cuts out at 105, its just that these tacos get there a whole lot quicker.

The cpu in these taco's acts like a rev limiter to limit these trucks to 105 mph. I've run my truck on an old dry dam road to see what it will do for mph. Its the same as my tundra was ...seems power cuts out at 105, its just that these tacos get there a whole lot quicker.
Makes me wonder how the new 4th gen 4-banger with a turbo charger is going to preform.

It'll be similar, just with way more low end torque....especially much better where it's being driven in higher altitude conditions where a normally aspirated engine loses hp. Only issue with turbos, they love to eat when being flogged, or under a heavy load.

So yesterday teh wife and I went back to her mother's house in North Dallas for some more stuff. We got an antique desk in excellent shape and a mini fridge for my back patio. I put a 12-pack of pop in the top shelf and a 12-pack of pop on the bottom shelf yesterday and today they're both ice cold.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Back