What Gl5 do you use?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bojangles, Jun 24, 2017.

?

What rear diff fluid do you prefer?

1. Synthetic

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Dino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Valvoline

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mobil1

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Amsoil

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Supertech

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 75 90

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. 75 140

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Royal purple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Redline

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OP
    Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Theres 1 on my truck... theres no need for modifiers, its not an lsd.

kp.taco likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. vwgtiturbo

vwgtiturbo Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! Eventually I'll be up to speed...

Bojangles and kp.taco like this.
  4. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Me too..

vwgtiturbo and Bojangles like this.
  5. OP
    Bojangles

Snow prollem.... toyota keeps changing things...its a matter of time and we will have to learn a new system.

Ur old school, open diff or locked. Enjoy no nannies on the 2005.
    Btw u have the ability to wire in an abs killswitch, so u can stop when YOU want to.... not when the spastic epileptic pos abs thinks u should stop

vwgtiturbo likes this.
  6. OP
    Bojangles

For now... give yota 5 more yrs to change it o_O

kp.taco likes this.
  7. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

^^^ good info. Thanks @Bojangles

Bojangles likes this.
  8. vwgtiturbo

I was JUST thinking today, wondering if there was a brake upgrade available (after stumbling onto a first gen post online, where bigger Tundra parts were transplanted...). Interesting!

Bojangles likes this.
  9. OP
    Bojangles

I did this (link below) along with stainless steel braided brake lines (g stop i think), and ebc stage 5 rotor/pad kit.
    The abs on our trucks is too sensitive and will make u roll thru stop signs and red lights if a squirrel happens to fart nearby. Its damn near worthless in most situations.. even a banked offramp will cause it to act up in clear weather.

Itll also damn near kill you in dirt, mud, snow, or gravel... u NEED tires to dig into the substrate in those circumstances and abs wont let that happen. You can have the locker engaged offroad and that turns off abs, but you should not lock the rear end while onroad.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/abs-kill-switch-mod-for-05-offroad-easy-way-pics.170927/

kp.taco and vwgtiturbo like this.
  10. vwgtiturbo

Man... I am SO doing this. I really just "got used" to the "performance" of the brakes, and figured "Well, it's my first truck, so...". Will report after some research and purchases/installation! LOL

Bojangles likes this.
  11. OP
    Bojangles

Beware....
    Ceramic pads dont dust.... or dust very little.
    Ceramic are quieter
    Ceramic pads need to warm up for best bite.

Semi metallic dust more (wash ur truck... use simple green on wheels, spray on, spray off).
    Semi metallic have FAR superior initial bite

Ive faded hawk lts pads and brembo blank rotors twice...
    As in 2 new sets.

I trashed that combo for ebc stage 5 and have not faded them yet... i drive aggressively.

Also dont forget to flush brake fluid completely if its been a while.... and definately if you have faded the brakes even 1 time....

Fading is due to boiling, boiling i forget how introduces moisture since brake fluid is hydroscopic.

Bogunn and vwgtiturbo like this.
  12. vwgtiturbo

Good info I hadn't though of since my old classic car days. I haven't done any bake work beyond replacing front pads and flushing complete system once (). Will be researching and buying parts tomorrow though; the brakes have always been one of my "I wish this were different" items on the truck. Slowly but surely, the bug to buy a new model will die as I use my downtime to learn about her and work through some minor quibbles!

kp.taco, Bogunn and Bojangles like this.