What have you done to your Tacoma today?

Gen2 tires rotated at DT at 79797 mileage
Treads were at 8√32nds on 27k miles so that sucks on the falken wildPeaks

Full tank of taco juice at shell for 169c per G with discount of 80c off

did an AT drain/fill on the relatives Gen2
its cloudy, the ground is wet from a day of rain and temps barely at 40F
definitely not an ideal good day to do this but needid it done before they ripped 80k miles on the rig

put in 3 3/4 qt of genuine Toyota type IV ATF, shifted the gears around a couple times
checked level and it was a bit over the Cool hash

hard to tell if its at the right level with these cold outside temps
definitely do not wish to overfill it at all possible

Last edited:
Wheeled that gen2 across the border and back to get it hotter and see how it was shifting... No changes in operation noticed
Checked the AT level idling in park and it was smack in the middle of the hot hashes
That Drain plug is probably over wrenched, it was not that tight to begin with! Engine oil drain plug was much tighter

added the remaining half-of-a-half of that genuine Toyota ATF T-IV
i just did not like how the level on the checkStick was sitting near the lower hash on the hot level after a big taco run of nearly 100 miles out in the wind
total was 4 US Qts. on the drain/filll
27 months at 24.5k miles since last d/f
should i do next d/f after another 12k miles? or what do U suggest

there is still fluid in that gen2 transmission that has 80k miles and almost 13yrs onit
o_O

Last edited:
it says NEVER on the checkStick

its lifetime fluid i guess they wish for U to believe it or believe it not

For a full capacity flush it all out?
I am doing pan drain/fills which I would think ought to be on a much smaller mileage interval
No?

Jay.....on the Gen2, the service interval for diffs, xfer case is 30 kmiles with a drain & fill. The Gen2 AT is a 100 kmile fluid change, along with brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant. Personally, while I'm doing the diffs and xfer case, I do a drain & fill on the AT. I only get about 3 quarts out of the AT. Total volume is around 12-15 qts (don't recall exactly). I do this to maintain some level of fresh fluid. Its little $$ for 3 qts of AT type WS fluid. Plus I don't want to lay under the truck hand pumping 12 -15 quarts.

Can't say about the Gen1. Recommend consulting your Owner's Manual.

Don't bother with a Flush. Generally, these do more to flush $$ from your wallet and frequently lead to more trouble.

added the remaining half-of-a-half of that genuine Toyota ATF T-IV
i just did not like how the level on the checkStick was sitting near the lower hash on the hot level after a big taco run of nearly 100 miles out in the wind
total was 4 US Qts. on the drain/filll
27 months at 24.5k miles since last d/f
should i do next d/f after another 12k miles? or what do U suggest

there is still fluid in that gen2 transmission that has 80k miles and almost 13yrs onit
o_O
Well I checked the level today when outside temps are quite warmer than a few before and dogoneit it is overfill above the high hash in the hot area... Almost an inch over full :mad:

I assume you are trying to work on the Gen2 A340E automatic transmission coupled to a 4 cylinder....... If so, the following is lifted from the '05-06 Toyota Tacoma OEM Repair Manual.

Capture.png

Same procedure as I've done when I had my 01 tundra that used the same 4speed auto, that worked great with the v8.
That A340 auto is bulletproof if you change the fluid every 15k miles. They recommended dexron III at the time for my tundra.

Back