What kind of gas should I use on my 2017 tacoma trd sport 4x4

I use higher octane because my truck sits during the week. I have a work vehicle I drive. I had a 98 Tacoma that would have flakes in the exhaust system from using gas with a lot of water. I switched to 91 or higher when I bought my 2006 Tacoma and my 2017 Tacoma. I also use a fuel additive with every oil change and only use full-synthetic oil.

I use higher octane because my truck sits during the week. I have a work vehicle I drive. I had a 98 Tacoma that would have flakes in the exhaust system from using gas with a lot of water. I switched to 91 or higher when I bought my 2006 Tacoma and my 2017 Tacoma. I also use a fuel additive with every oil change and only use full-synthetic oil.

Gas doesn't have water in it unless you go to a no name station in the middle of nowhere.

Additives are made up of the same detergents that are already in gasoline as required by federal law.

Thank you

Gas doesn't have water in it unless you go to a no name station in the middle of nowhere.

Additives are made up of the same detergents that are already in gasoline as required by federal law.

We have a lot of mom and pop places here. That was what I was told by 2 different mechanics as well as our Ford diesel mechanics. That's why I stopped using the lower octane. In my 98 Tacoma, I remember trying to let it "dry" and using additive that filters out the water, but the damage had been done.

Well really, if there is water in anyone's fuel system, it didn't come from the mixture that came from the refinery. Somebody f'ed up somewhere and let the gas get contaminated.

Having said that, I do remember water injection systems back in the 80s they were playing with. The idea was that if hot enough water vapor burns. Didn't last long I only saw one kit installed.

Last edited:
Well really, if there is water in anyone's fuel system, it didn't come from the mixture that came from the refinery. Somebody f'ed up somewhere and let the gas get contaminated.

I use seafoam, kind of like we use in the motors on our boats for the winter, because they sit. My Tacoma can go 2-3 weeks sitting especially in the spring. I know it helps with cleaning but also with fuel sitting. I try not to leave it with a full tank.

That's (seafoam) good stuff. I never thought much about the age of gasoline. I would think it could sit for a month and be good. Out here in California we have it pretty dry and maybe we don't have the same issues you have with moisture.

We have a lot of mom and pop places here. That was what I was told by 2 different mechanics as well as our Ford diesel mechanics. That's why I stopped using the lower octane. In my 98 Tacoma, I remember trying to let it "dry" and using additive that filters out the water, but the damage had been done.

This is why I mention unknown stations...

Having said that, I do remember water injection systems back in the 80s they were playing with. The idea was that if hot enough water vapor burns. Didn't last long I only saw one kit installed.

Still on the market. Snow Performance and AEM offer water/meth kits and the new BMW M4 GTS has a water injection system from the factory.

In my opinion 91 octane fuel does create a performance difference. It's very little but it's there. And no I m not smoking that good good;)

Back