What's Your Tacoma's MPG

about 20 - 22mpg...on the highway which is pretty decent considering that i have a 2.7l 4 cylinder engine.. automatic :thumbsup: :thumbup:

That car is a joke. Some non hybrid 4 bangers and diesels get the same or close to the same MPG. I would much rather have a Golf TDI over a Prius.

My wife has a Prius and its been great. I'll drive it on the weekends. 360 miles on 8 gallons of gas. 3 times better gas mileage than my truck. No complaints here.

Reliability? They aren't as good as they used to be. My Uncle's 1970 Toyota Corona was proof of that. He sold it with just over 300K miles and besides maintenance it only needed a battery. My 2010 Taco has been singing the wheel bearing death tune since 75K. Also there are 6 speed issues, the rear axle issues of the early models and the engine mount issues of the early trucks.

I would drive anything with wheels. Life is a lot less boring that way.

No car maker is as good as hey used to be. My 2001 is going strong with 137k. No major issues other than normal maintenance.

My Ranger ran like new at 140K when I traded in. If it wasn't for the drive train it would have ran for a long time but 4 clutches in 4 years no matter how I drove it got annoying. If it was an auto I would probably still be driving it today.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make sense to be a fanboy for one brand. In the case of a Prius you can do much better with non hybrid and pay less. Also you don't have to shell out 6K for a new battery pack when it fails.

Last edited:
I avg 17.7 mpg around town driving a 2013 DC OR SB 4x4 V6 auto stock w/ 5500 miles.
My best tank has been 20.3.
My 2006 tacoma same configuration avg the same numbers in the 4.5 yrs I drove it.

I originally got the Tacoma because I was naive and thought a "little Tacoma" could get better gas mileage than a big old Doge or Chevy. Tacomas just don't get great mileage...especially the 4WD versions. Plus I have since added large tires, armor, and a Flippac. I don't check my mileage because I don't want to know. This weekend I was 4Wheeling in low for a long time and I know I was down near 10 mpg.

This week came in at 18.5 for a 5 week average of 17.7. 1st week I got 16.6.
Since I started tracking it I've changed plugs, cleaned MAF sensor and changed front differential oil. Hopefully when I clean out the throttle body I can squeeze a little more out of her. That's with 50/50 city/highway driving.
Very happy with a 2 MPG increase over 1st week. :thumbsup:

basically speakin' trucks are meant for a number of things:modifying for off road use etc...towing your boat to the water and for hauling stuff like camping gear etc.. not designed to get good mpg,they have cars for that!! :laughing:

Im putting on my new tonneau cover tommorow so we'll be putting the mpg myth to the test. Though thats not why i got it.

Back