2016 Engine Noise - Normal or Nightmare ?

Hi, new here,

I recently bought the TRD-Sport. So far no issues at all, but what I'm concerned is the 'ticking' or 'pinging'.

That's the only thing I found a little bit annoying. Mine sounds like it has some sort of valve or timing chain issue. Not so sure, since this is my first Tacoma. It doesn't sound that loud like an engine with lifter issues, but it definitely sounds a little bit loud for my taste ? I haven't drive another so I can compare yet (I'm going to the dealership soon, just to make sure is normal). But before that I decided to exchange some feedback in the meantime.

Anyways, can you guys give your feedback regarding the engine noise ?
Hi, new here,

I recently bought the TRD-Sport. So far no issues at all, but what I'm concerned is the 'ticking' or 'pinging'.

That's the only thing I found a little bit annoying. Mine sounds like it has some sort of valve or timing chain issue. Not so sure, since this is my first Tacoma. It doesn't sound that loud like an engine with lifter issues, but it definitely sounds a little bit loud for my taste ? I haven't drive another so I can compare yet (I'm going to the dealership soon, just to make sure is normal). But before that I decided to exchange some feedback in the meantime.

I have 2017 SR5(800 mi on now) it has lifter noise- not right my opinion- is my 7th toyota. Have not taken back yet- does not sound right.

It's just the injectors cleaning and cycling on and off sometimes truck almost sounds like a mini diesel but I assure you it is normal on the new engine

they said is normal in the nea engine and Toyota has no solution for it jet but they are working on it. Is on my service report

Is that normal for this new of a truck? I went to school for automotive technology and I never saw this. Dealer time?

The dealer will more than likely just give you a run around. You can mention it at your next service but I wouldn't take it in just for this unless you have a failure.

I have an issue where my 2016 Tacoma TRD off road will clatter when it unloads like coming off throttle. Any answers?
Crawl under qhen the truck has been sitting for awhile. Use side of fist, thump and shields on the exhaust. See if this replicates noise.

Hi, new here,

Hello I had the same noise,
Toyota has opened a case for me it is not normal. They are replacing the the vacume pump. To see if that fixes it. Don't let them tell you it is standard on Toyota.

Last edited:
Toyota has opened a case for me it is not normal. They are replacing the the vacume pump. To see if that fixes it. Don't let them tell you it is standard on Toyota. They are trying to avoid another recall like the rear differential seal leaking.

What you are hearing is the injectors and is totally normal. When the engine is warm if you go to the rear of the truck by the exaust pipe, you will hear it idle at different speeds that's the injection switching back and forth between injectors and port injection. Engine noise will do the same thing after you notice the exhaust sound. It will be a little noisier and then it will cycle down when direct Port injection cycle engages. It is normal on the New 3.5. On the 4.0 models it was worse it had what sounded like a piston slap especially at start up. That is actually a dry oil pump at start -up and Toyota knew about the issue but did not want to issue a recall on the oil pumps on the 4.0 engines. Sorry starting to get off topic lol. But to get back to the noise It is Normal..

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

Toyota has opened a case for me it is not normal. They are replacing the the vacume pump. To see if that fixes it. Don't let them tell you it is standard on Toyota. They are trying to avoid another recall like the rear differential seal leaking.

Back