2018 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport

Mark Harris

572F9AA6-C9E6-4F8D-AD31-2D5D08D81060.jpeg C12D929A-F3D7-42FE-9DB6-799FC63881DE.jpeg 572F9AA6-C9E6-4F8D-AD31-2D5D08D81060.jpeg I noticed back in late spring that the paint was starting to fade on the roof and hood. I went to the dealership that I bought it from and asked if there’s anything they can do. They took pictures and took my mileage which was a little over 39,000 miles. I had a message from the dealer today that it was out of warranty, which is 3 years or 36,000 miles. But did say that he faxed the info and pictures to his regional manager and field tech and hopefully they would help. I just find it hard to believe that the paint is failing on a truck that’s only 4 years old and there’s nothing that they can do. I’ve seen vehicles 40 years old with better looking paint.

I've read somewhere that Toyota has issues with the white paint
...Did not know there is an issue with the red!

Are there many others out there with a similar issue with this paint code,
Has it been determined to be a manufacturing defect?

My2016 inferno Orange is doing that on drivers mirror . I'm going to paint it myself. Went to high school for auto body it has come in handy as a hobby over forty yrs since I graduated .:)

Last edited:
I had a similar porshe red wolverine back in the late 70's that completely fade wherever the sun hit the paint. You wouldn't know it was the same orangey red color after 5 years. I had to have the truck repainted before selling it.

View attachment 33967 View attachment 33969 View attachment 33967 I noticed back in late spring that the paint was starting to fade on the roof and hood. I went to the dealership that I bought it from and asked if there’s anything they can do. They took pictures and took my mileage which was a little over 39,000 miles. I had a message from the dealer today that it was out of warranty, which is 3 years or 36,000 miles. But did say that he faxed the info and pictures to his regional manager and field tech and hopefully they would help. I just find it hard to believe that the paint is failing on a truck that’s only 4 years old and there’s nothing that they can do. I’ve seen vehicles 40 years old with better looking paint.
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Tacoma. I have filed a complaint with Toyota, and am waiting for a call back.

That 3 year 36,000 mile excuse is BS, the dealership paint expert said Toyota should repaint the roof and hood on my truck. I have hadseveral new vehicles that don’t fade from a few years of sun exposure. It’s cheap paint and or clear coat, plain and simple.

Attachments

• 5C9B6E99-5051-44FB-ACEE-D14B00EC036B.jpeg
    5C9B6E99-5051-44FB-ACEE-D14B00EC036B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • A2791B0C-7D0F-40BC-8410-321FE28435E2.jpeg
    A2791B0C-7D0F-40BC-8410-321FE28435E2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
I doubt toyota will do a whole lot after 5 years. They don't know how the truck was kept. They're not responsible for the climate it's driven in either. Lot of manufactures have paint issues one time, or another. These more environmental friendly paints used today suck, it's why I had my truck ceramic glass coated this time. It's like the freon in our a/c systems...seem's every other year they come out with a new one where it doesn't work any better than the last one.

reports that those in CA needing a paint job have to goto Mexico to get the good paint done

I doubt toyota will do a whole lot after 5 years. They don't know how the truck was kept. They're not responsible for the climate it's driven in either. Lot of manufactures have paint issues one time, or another. These more environmental friendly paints used today suck, it's why I had my truck ceramic glass coated this time. It's like the freon in our a/c systems...seem's every other year they come out with a new one where it doesn't work any better than the last one.
If they can airplanes and boats with a paint that lasts more than 5 years they can certainly paint a car. And as far as how it was kept, I didn’t see any exterior paint maintanance in my owners manual to keep their crappy clear coat on the car.
Not all dealerships even offer the ceramic coating and if you get it you need to come every year to maintain it.
I may have even got it and had it reapplied year 2, I’m trying to find the paperwork but if that info is online let me know where I can find it, bc that would be more ammunition for my argument.
We buy Toyota bc we like things that last and for them to at least not keep pace with the competition in regards to their paint, that’s simply unacceptable.

If they can airplanes and boats with a paint that lasts more than 5 years they can certainly paint a car. And as far as how it was kept, I didn’t see any exterior paint maintanance in my owners manual to keep their crappy clear coat on the car.
Not all dealerships even offer the ceramic coating and if you get it you need to come every year to maintain it.
I may have even got it and had it reapplied year 2, I’m trying to find the paperwork but if that info is online let me know where I can find it, bc that would be more ammunition for my argument.
We buy Toyota bc we like things that last and for them to at least not keep pace with the competition in regards to their paint, that’s simply unacceptable.
Let me tell you, boats are gel coated, much different process. I don't even want to know the cost of airplane paints, they're a different breed than our auto paints. You can not compare the two.

Re: going to Mexico for good paint. 99.9% of a good paint job is in the prep. Until you get into extremely high dollar paint jobs all shops do is sand off any clear coat and maybe (big maybe) spray a primer (and it has to be the right primer which is expensive) before they paint it. To do it properly you have to sand down to bare metal and start from there in a multi step process that seals the metal, primes, paints and then multiple coats of clear coat.

The last paint job I had on my 1978 LTD II Sports Touring Edition was over 12 grand. But it was done correctly by a true professional.

Re: going to Mexico for good paint. 99.9% of a good paint job is in the prep. Until you get into extremely high dollar paint jobs all shops do is sand off any clear coat and maybe (big maybe) spray a primer (and it has to be the right primer which is expensive) before they paint it. To do it properly you have to sand down to bare metal and start from there in a multi step process that seals the metal, primes, paints and then multiple coats of clear coat.

The last paint job I had on my 1978 LTD II Sports Touring Edition was over 12 grand. But it was done correctly by a true professional.

i was under the impression that those in CA goto Mexico because Mexico can use those certain chemicals that CA rules & regs shuns upon
save the environment!
and maybe also for labour savings south of the border

that is a BIG car!
1690031580454.png

I can tell you they do excellent chrome jobs down there. Average lifespan of a mexican working at a chroming shop is about 39 years old.

i was under the impression that those in CA goto Mexico because Mexico can use those certain chemicals that CA rules & regs shuns upon
save the environment!
and maybe also for labour savings south of the border

that is a BIG car!
View attachment 38871
Interesting that you picked that car color scheme.
Mine
oEtR4Ff.jpg

Centerfold from 1978 Brochure.
YE51EhR.jpg

Hmmmm...... I was oggling different centerfolds in 1978.

Red is known for fading. Doubtful if Toyota will offer any relief. Suggest visiting a body shop to quote painting the areas and feathering to adjoining areas. And steer clear of polishing compounds of any sort or flavor. You only will have success removing the clear coat.

FWIW, not every white Toyota Tacoma has paint issues.

My 2018 MGM Tacoma's paint still looks like it did the day I bought it. It is garage kept thou.

Red is known for fading. Doubtful if Toyota will offer any relief. Suggest visiting a body shop to quote painting the areas and feathering to adjoining areas. And steer clear of polishing compounds of any sort or flavor. You only will have success removing the clear coat.

No not everyone with these toyota whites, but an exceptionally large number have vs other paint colors they have.

I was married 8 years by then. But I have always appreciated good cars and fast women. Or was it fast cars and good women. Old age causes confusion sometimes.

Back