2018 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport

my outside
drivers mirror is starting to peel the clear off im going to get some single stage inferno orange and give them a respray.
i went to highschool for autobody so it was a great profession to learn and i restore my toys and paint in my garage. my neighbor just resprayed his dads '94 impala ss and he spent over 11grand to just paint it no body work! wtf! its black and they could have done a much nicer job wet sanding and buffing it out.
lots of orange peel i wasnot impressed at all. its a 10 footer!

Last edited:
Interesting that you picked that car color scheme.
Mine
oEtR4Ff.jpg

Centerfold from 1978 Brochure.
YE51EhR.jpg
why is the drivers. door lighter? Or is it the picture?nice ride my friends wife had a blue cougar looked just like that. its bigger than my 72 monte carlo i used to have!

my outside
drivers mirror is starting to peel the clear off im going to get some single stage inferno orange and give the a respray .
i went to highschool for autobody so it was a great profession to learn and i restore my toys and paint in my garage. my neighbor just resprayed his dads '94 impala ss and he spent over 11grand to just paint it no body work! wtf! its black and they could have done a much nicer job wet sanding and buffing it out.
lots of orange peel i wasnot impressed at all. its a 10 footer!
It cost me $350 to do the roof on my tundra over when all the clear coat peeled, and that was from a customer of mine that owns a nearby body shop.

I am having the same issue with my 2018 Tacoma. I have filed a complaint with Toyota, and am waiting for a call back.

That 3 year 36,000 mile excuse is BS, the dealership paint expert said Toyota should repaint the roof and hood on my truck. I have hadseveral new vehicles that don’t fade from a few years of sun exposure. It’s cheap paint and or clear coat, plain and simple.

I'm starting to have the same issue on my 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport. I filed a complaint with Toyota over the phone, they said its out of warranty but recorded the issue. Does anyone think this is common enough to file a class action suite? I've never had a vehicle paint job, that's faded like this in less than 5 years!

Attachments

• IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4993.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4994.jpg
    IMG_4994.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 3
Wondering if there are enough folks with this paint issue on their 2018 TRD's to have a class action suite, since Toyota seems to not be doing anything to resolve the problem. I've never had another vehicle that did this in less than 5 years. Contact me if your interested in filing a claim against Toyota. Mine is in very defined area's, so is obviously a factory defect.

Attachments

• IMG_4993.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4994.jpg
    IMG_4994.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2
Idk, about that blue, but when looking at tacoma's back in 2020, the dealer warned me to avoid a calvary blue, or this super white as they had many known issues.
As far as blue in general, I've had blue toyota trucks in the past with paint issues after a few years. I won't get blue from toyota anytime soon.

Toyota actually repainted the roof, hood and the tops of the fenders. The dealer that I bought it from had 2 guys come over from Cincinnati and look at it and they agreed to having it painted. It was a one time deal with Toyota covering the cost.

Toyota actually repainted the roof, hood and the tops of the fenders. The dealer that I bought it from had 2 guys come over from Cincinnati and look at it and they agreed to having it painted. It was a one time deal with Toyota covering the cost.
What year was your truck, and was it still under warranty?

Let me tell you, boats are gel coated, much different process. I don't even want to know the cost of airplane paints, they're a different breed than our auto paints. You can not compare the two.
Of course it really depends upon the size of the aircraft. But you’re looking at a room between $25k for a commuter plane to $600K for a 767.

And yes, the pain is quite a bit different. However, quite a few airlines are using a basecoat/clearcoat finish.

planes used to get painted with Imron polyurethane made by Dupont, that was the early polyurethane from the late 70's. We sprayed it in high school it was cool the left over paint you could take it out of the container the next day and drop it and it would bounce off the floor.

Back